Wealth Gap

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Sort of funny muscle car story. I was living in Vegas years ago and had a long commute. I bought a first generation, 2002 Prius which was great for that. Well, I moved to South Dakota and the Prius wasn't as great there but I had not sold it yet. My brother-in-law is a muscle car guy and was up for a visit and saw a Chevelle for sale. We pull into the lot in the Prius and the saleslady didn't want to give us the time of day. Until he started talking and she realized he knew what he was doing. He ended up buying the car.

A couple of years go by and he is driving it on the Hot Rod power tour and the magazine is taking pics and his Chevelle gets the cover. Even funnier, the cover says "Kill your Prius"

jim hot rod.jpg

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Sort of funny muscle car story. I was living in Vegas years ago and had a long commute. I bought a first generation, 2002 Prius which was great for that. Well, I moved to South Dakota and the Prius wasn't as great there but I had not sold it yet. My brother-in-law is a muscle car guy and was up for a visit and saw a Chevelle for sale. We pull into the lot in the Prius and the saleslady didn't want to give us the time of day. Until he started talking and she realized he knew what he was doing. He ended up buying the car.

A couple of years go by and he is driving it on the Hot Rod power tour and the magazine is taking pics and his Chevelle gets the cover. Even funnier, the cover says "Kill your Prius"

View attachment 69356
The biggest shock is your brother-in-law as a muscle car guy would even take a seat in a Prius. To be sure the world over, the Prius is the butt of most every joke perpetrated by car guys and gals on non car guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
The biggest shock is your brother-in-law as a muscle car guy would even take a seat in a Prius. To be sure the world over, the Prius is the butt of most every joke perpetrated by car guys and gals on non car guys.

What isn't a shock is that even just discussing a lighthearted subject that you could not respond without being an incredible dickhead about it.

I explained why I was driving a Prius. It was a 1st gen and mine was the 2nd ever delivered to the Vegas market. Well before the 2nd gen became the darlings of the urban green housewife. Driving a muscle car for over an hour twice per day in desert temps in bumper to bumper traffic would be stupid even for you.

My brother in law likes cars. As do I. It isn't a shock at all that he would ride in my car. Apparently, unlike others, he and I don't depend on cars to prove our manhood.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

What isn't a shock is that even just discussing a lighthearted subject that you could not respond without being an incredible dickhead about it.

I explained why I was driving a Prius. It was a 1st gen and mine was the 2nd ever delivered to the Vegas market. Well before the 2nd gen became the darlings of the urban green housewife. Driving a muscle car for over an hour twice per day in desert temps in bumper to bumper traffic would be stupid even for you.

My brother in law likes cars. As do I. It isn't a shock at all that he would ride in my car. Apparently, unlike others, he and I don't depend on cars to prove our manhood.
I wasn’t disparaging your choice of cars or even the Prius. I was just pointing out the real-world fact that the Prius is made fun of the world over. And as a car guy, your BIL would appreciate the humor even if you don’t. Have you ever watched the original BBC version of Top Gear? Probably not or you would understand the comments.

I’m good with your Prius and understand the economy thingy. Lighten up, it’s just good natured ribbing.

BTW, no I wouldn’t drive a muscle car to commute. They’re investments, not day to day transportation. For that I drive a gas guzzling Ford Raptor or Range Rover SVR. ;-)

Last edited:

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I wasn’t disparaging your choice of cars or even the Prius. I was just pointing out the real-world fact that the Prius is made fun of the world over. And as a car guy, your BIL would appreciate the humor even if you don’t. Have you ever watched the original BBC version of Top Gear? Probably not or you would understand the comments.

I’m good with your Prius and understand the economy thingy. Lighten up, it’s just good natured ribbing.

BTW, no I wouldn’t drive a muscle car to commute. They’re investments, not day to day transportation. For that I drive a gas guzzling Ford Raptor or Range Rover SVR. ;-)

Could you really not tell from my post that I already understood the joke of a Prius and a muscle car? And it really didn't sound like you were joking since the joke had already been told. It sounded like you were simply trying to rub it in my face. If humor was the intent, sorry, it didn't sound like it from this end.

And the prius is now upgraded and my fuel costs are zero. And, my daily driver leaves 99% of gas guzzlers I see sitting at the light while I'm gone.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Could you really not tell from my post that I already understood the joke of a Prius and a muscle car? And it really didn't sound like you were joking since the joke had already been told. It sounded like you were simply trying to rub it in my face. If humor was the intent, sorry, it didn't sound like it from this end.

And the prius is now upgraded and my fuel costs are zero. And, my daily driver leaves 99% of gas guzzlers I see sitting at the light while I'm gone.
99% sitting at the light? That’s just the gas guzzlers going easy on the pedal. Nothing to do with the Prius’ performance - which is awful.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
99% sitting at the light? That’s just the gas guzzlers going easy on the pedal. Nothing to do with the Prius’ performance - which is awful.

LOL. No, I had the prius over a decade ago. I said the prius has been upgraded (new car).
My mistake. Since there’s only a handful of EVs that are faster than 6sec going from 0-60, most of those are pretty cool so you must be having fun. Unfortunately I’ll never be able to enjoy any of the EV advantages where I live. Drive on!

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Throwing money at education won't necessarily make it better. There are a lot of reasons why kids from lower income areas struggle, and most of them have nothing to do with educational funding.

I heard a local school administrator talking about how his school district had switched to the 4 day work week over the past few years. He said that the teachers really like the 4 day school week, and they received a lot more applications whenever they had a job opening. He said he felt like it allowed them to hire better teachers. The school's test scores improved noticeably.

The main reason I would like to see higher salaries & more per pupil spending in lower income areas is because it would allow them to attract better teachers whenever they have a job opening. I think this would lead to higher levels of success and better test scores. It wouldn't solve the problem, but I think it would help.
I think a big reason that isn't really talked about much is that a lot of lower income school children treat being smart as a BAD thing. They think the only way out of their current situation is either the entertainment industry or athletics. It's almost a cultural thing that needs adjusted that being smart and wanting to learn more and do better in school is considered cool.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
My mistake. Since there’s only a handful of EVs that are faster than 6sec going from 0-60, most of those are pretty cool so you must be having fun. Unfortunately I’ll never be able to enjoy any of the EV advantages where I live. Drive on!

Torque of electric cars is impressive. Even the sad little prius started off the line all electric and felt quick for the first few seconds but then the weak engine took over and it was very slow.
I now have a performance model 3 which is around a 3.3 0-60. Is awesome getting friends in the car and hitting it for the first time without telling them as silent intense acceleration is a really strange feeling. Needless to say for a "green vehicle" I'm not doing much for the planet as my driving habits have changed a lot.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Torque of electric cars is impressive. Even the sad little prius started off the line all electric and felt quick for the first few seconds but then the weak engine took over and it was very slow.
I now have a performance model 3 which is around a 3.3 0-60. Is awesome getting friends in the car and hitting it for the first time without telling them as silent intense acceleration is a really strange feeling. Needless to say for a "green vehicle" I'm not doing much for the planet as my driving habits have changed a lot.
Hope it doesn’t spontaneously combust!

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Currently own:
Orange/White 1969 Camaro Crossram RS Z/28
Orange/Black 1971 Olds 442 W-30 Convertible
Black/White 1967 Corvette 427 Coupe
Black/White 1954 Chevy 5-Window Pickup

Previously owned:
Orange/White 1970 Camaro RS Z/28
Orange/Black 1970 Cougar Eliminator
White/Orange 1969 Camaro RS/SS 396 Indy Pace Car
Muscle cars are a good investment? Didn’t know, maybe shouldn’t have bought another hotel.

I guess I still have a little cash to play with.

E6D8AC1B-7289-419E-9DA5-5DD53514B40A.jpeg

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Currently own:
Orange/White 1969 Camaro Crossram RS Z/28
Orange/Black 1971 Olds 442 W-30 Convertible
Black/White 1967 Corvette 427 Coupe
Black/White 1954 Chevy 5-Window Pickup

Previously owned:
Orange/White 1970 Camaro RS Z/28
Orange/Black 1970 Cougar Eliminator
White/Orange 1969 Camaro RS/SS 396 Indy Pace Car
Muscle cars are a good investment? Didn’t know, maybe shouldn’t have bought another hotel.

I guess I still have a little cash to play with.

View attachment 69364
They can be good investments for the experienced or very lucky. I do not however recommend investing unless you REALLY like cars and want to spend a bunch of time caring for them.