Weathers, Calloo and K. Jones all charged UPDATED

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 23, 2005
There were a couple of guys that played Football and basketball, RW McQuarters did and did A. Bowman also try to play? Hard to remember.
Melvin Gilliam from Booker T. was a starting DB and also played basketball, I think he was just before McQuarters. There was also a baseball pitcher who got some PT on the basketball squad, I think his name was Dennis Burbank?

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
So let me get this straight...The guys got kicked out of a party..drove home to get a BB gun...returned to party and started shooting cars up. Not one of these guys thought to themselves "maybe this isn't such a good idea". If they are truly this ignorant I'm glad they are gone.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
So let me get this straight...The guys got kicked out of a party..drove home to get a BB gun...returned to party and started shooting cars up. Not one of these guys thought to themselves "maybe this isn't such a good idea". If they are truly this ignorant I'm glad they are gone.
No crap. Should've kicked Weathers to the curb for his first transgression.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Guerin Emig...

You lose a quarter of your roster, you dismiss three players you brought into your program, you come to grips with this as a 37-year-old second-year head coach at a place as proud as OSU...

There is some reflecting.

“There’s a ‘why’ somewhere. That’s what I keep telling myself,” Boynton says. “I just don’t know yet. At some point… It’s like when I first got the call from the AD at Stephen F. Austin when I wasn’t going to get the head coaching job there.”

He is reflecting back to April 2016 when SFA athletic director Robert Hill chose Kyle Keller to succeed Brad Underwood, and he wound up following Underwood to Stillwater instead.

“It didn’t make any sense to me. ‘Well, maybe I’ll never be a head coach,’” Boynton goes on. “When there was a reason I wasn’t named the head coach. I didn’t know why. It was revealed almost a year later (when Mike Holder chose him to succeed Underwood at OSU).

“At some point this will be revealed and hopefully I’ll be better for it.”

Aug 16, 2012
Which makes me wonder if lack of academic standing was an issue and the BB gun stupidity was the last straw, Boynton recognizing no amount of second chances would work out.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
You can't blame Coach Boynton for kicking players off the team if they aren't following team rules. That being said, he's now had to remove 4 of the 7 guys he's brought into the program thus far. That doesn't give me a lot of confidence in his ability to evaluate character.
I think Coach Boynton recruits kids with talent and HOPES that having them in a place like Stillwater may take away some of the distractions they may have elsewhere. I honestly believe that Coach B feels he can raise these questionable character kids up.

He really hasn't had much to recruit on (winning record, experience, longevity), but that's what you get when you hire a coach that no one has heard of.

Yet, OSU seems to want to take more chances with it's programs with diamonds-in-the-rough than hiring proven coaches.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
The difference in his 1st year recruits and his 2nd year recruits I think tell a big story. The 4 guys coming in as freshmen next season are without question higher level than the ones brought in in 2018 with that said Likekele and Anei are extremely great finds. I'm sure if HCMB had his ideal team they would be coming off the bench and learning rather than throwing them out to see if they sink or swim but he didn't have that luxury. He won't have that luxury next season either but he will have 6 guys that are very experienced to go along with 4 very talented freshmen and whomever else he brings in between now and then. I for one am proud we have a coach that wasn't willing to have short term success by keeping some questionable characters to maybe finish above 8th in the conference.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
The difference in his 1st year recruits and his 2nd year recruits I think tell a big story. The 4 guys coming in as freshmen next season are without question higher level than the ones brought in in 2018 with that said Likekele and Anei are extremely great finds. I'm sure if HCMB had his ideal team they would be coming off the bench and learning rather than throwing them out to see if they sink or swim but he didn't have that luxury. He won't have that luxury next season either but he will have 6 guys that are very experienced to go along with 4 very talented freshmen and whomever else he brings in between now and then. I for one am proud we have a coach that wasn't willing to have short term success by keeping some questionable characters to maybe finish above 8th in the conference.
All of this. Thank you.