1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Wes Lunt won't be OSU's only QB

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by bs_21_goat, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Cody51

Cody51 Deputy

Why, we recruited receivers to catch the ball, RB to run the ball OL to block. Walsh is a QB, unless we have a weakness where he could help. I think he serves the team best as a backup.
    I just dont see why you would try to force him into the lineup.

2. Hefley001

Hefley001 Deputy

Because he's a great athlete. He wasn't recruited to run this offense.

cowboyethics344 likes this.
  3. SGT Steck

SGT Steck Whitetail Slayer A/V Subscriber

I think that would be amazing to see. You get JW plus Staley, Randle and Smith. If I was a D coordinator I might incur a hemorrhoid or two over that one.

cowboyethics344 likes this.
  4. jparsons87

jparsons87 Cowboy

And their offensive production dipped when he went down. They were absolutely lost when they could no longer turn to him to change it up.

5. Cody51

Cody51 Deputy

What position would you put him at.

6. Cody51

Cody51 Deputy

I'm not going to get into a debate about Texas's offensive production. They didn't have a QB, we hopefully do.

7. cowboyethics344

cowboyethics344 Federal Marshal

Texas will have a great defense! However, the offense will not be great!

8. Cody51

Cody51 Deputy

There are only so many fakes you could do in one play, only one of those 4 is a decent run blocker, and we are not a power running team.
    We might have had the most consistent pass/draw/trap blocking line in the country the last couple of years, but we have consistently not been a power running team.
    No wildcat.

9. osucowboy79

osucowboy79 Cowboy

Randle's 24 touchdowns would disagree with you.

PlatypusJojo likes this.
  10. OrangeFanatic

OrangeFanatic Wrangler

I never said Walsh was like Bell? You'd be an idiot to think Walsh could run right up the middle and run people over like bell does. But you could do sweeps options, counters and numerous other things with him in the wildcat. That kid who played for Ole miss when we played them in the cotton bowl killed teams in the wildcat. No Walsh don't have his speed but Walsh has good speed and a good arm to use with it. I think our coaches knows what's best and if they believe he'd be effective In a special package then I believe them. You can do so many things out of the wildcat especially with a guy who has a good arm. I love the idea!

11. StillwaterMan

StillwaterMan Beers and loud noises A/V Subscriber

Ill give you Savanna State. To expect (not saying it wont happen, but to expect) 31+ point victories in the other games is hammering down on the coolaid.

12. cowboyethics344

Really.....you don't think we should expect a 31 point win over Kansas.....

13. OSUFirepolak

OSUFirepolak Federal Marshal

Hardly. Those other teams are awful and an AVERAGE team should be able to beat any of them 31 points. We are way above average at every position group on offense with only Lunt being the unknown and our defense will be one of the best in the conference. Plus we have homefield advantage in most of those games. I obviously think we are going to be a very good football team but mostly I think those teams I mentioned are going to suck pretty bad. Iowa State will be okay but our team's desire to get some revenge will fuel that beatdown.

14. StillwaterMan

StillwaterMan Beers and loud noises A/V Subscriber

I wont know until I know exactly what role Walsh is going to play.:blink:

15. cowboyethics344

I have a feeling that the only team that could be sleeper on that list is Ulala. That said, we still beat them by 3 TDs

16. opfan

opfan Wrangler

Walsh will not play another position! He is one of our QB's! If Lunt is worthy of staying number 1, Walsh has deemed himself (according to Gundy quotes) worthy of some playing time at QB...If Lunt falters, Walsh will be our guy simple as that! Lunt simply has first crack at being our guy. I know several key players and they have said this race is far from over, they beleive both are talented! Go Pokes!

17. Cody51

Cody51 Deputy

While I agree we were effective running the ball, it was never with our oline overpowering the defense, it was spread out the defense and exploit running lanes, a take what the defense gives you strategy.

My point is that putting a package of gimmick plays in for Walsh is going away from what has been the strength of our pick your poison offense. And what the point of that specific post was to point out the waste in the formation proposed by the poster i replied to.

18. cowboyethics344

Both are talented.......However, I think a majority of our team and Mike Gundy see Wes Lunt as clear leader in regards to taking over from where Weeden left off. Wes Lunt is going to be a great QB for us.

19. Cody51

Cody51 Deputy

Everything you can do with a wildcat offense you can do with a regular QB in, the only difference is you dont waste practice reps on a gimmick offense.
    Most Wildcats you see now in CFB are a result of a major deficiency in some aspect of the offense.
    Texas was a total lack of QB
    OU was the total lack of the ability to run the ball in the redzone
    Ole miss was still back in the days where the wildccat was effective.
    I say practice goalline plays with your offense and you will be more effective than sticking a second string QB in cold to run your offense in its most critical time.

20. Cody51

Cody51 Deputy

Lunt will start and stay the QB barring a complete failure or injury by lunt or walsh or chelf showing miraculous improvement and passing him up.
    You are correct that the race might not be over, but Lunt has a serious lead.