1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Wes Lunt won't be OSU's only QB

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by bs_21_goat, Jul 27, 2012.

1. cowboyethics344

cowboyethics344 Federal Marshal

The sooner some of you guys accept that WES LUNT is our QB the better! This kid is going to win us a bunch of football games.

2. Hefley001

Hefley001 Deputy

Exactly. For those of you that are wanting JW to take over understand that he has had his chance to win the starting job and didn't. He's a good player and will get a 2nd chance in the fall, but it's Lunt's job to lose. Come over to team Lunt and back the kid. It's nothing against Walsh, but Wes is our QB. Support him as such and let's roll.

PlatypusJojo and RocketCowboy like this.
  3. Bdubtulsa

Bdubtulsa Greenhorn

Here's looking forward to seeing how quickly Lunt meshes with the rest of the offense in an actual game. I'm not doubting, just curious to see how quickly everything WILL gel. That said, I do think there would be a time and place where calling in a QB that makes you cover a double threat could bring us some success. Probably won't happen a lot outside of the first game or two, but it will definitely be out there in scouting film to make people consider it. That in and of itself may be the value in using the backup for some non-blowout gametime duties. Just my $.02.

Drive fast, take chances.

4. Cody51

Cody51 Deputy

I cant speak for the coaching staff, but i certainly hope we don't go back to the zone read in any form or situation. Been there done that, don't want to see it again

5. taljr2002

taljr2002 Cowboy

I can see Walsh lining up occasionally in the slot coming back on a reverse with the option to throw or run.

6. CPTNQUIRK

CPTNQUIRK I'm always ready for lunch! A/V Subscriber

In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
    Fify.:D

cowboyethics344 likes this.
  7. Donnyboy

Donnyboy Speaks the language A/V Subscriber

I pray we don't use two QB's...... It guarantees we lose at least one game.

CTeamPoke, cowboyethics344 and zachya like this.
  8. Cody51

Cody51 Deputy

If a defense is not prepared for that then they we should be killing them with anything we throw at them.
    My question is why would you replace one of our wr or rb with him?

9. StillwaterMan

StillwaterMan Beers and loud noises A/V Subscriber

Hey, a man should be able to have conservative expectations. Ive always made fun of sooner fans who constantly claim thier teams would be "even better next year" when it was painfully obvious they would take a small step back. Im not gonna become that guy. I think people are still riding last years high and have forgotten how hard it is to win games in the Big 12 expecially with young QBs.

10. IlliniAmy

IlliniAmy Wrangler

This wasn't necessary. No one from Illinois has said anything negative about Walsh whatsoever.

PlatypusJojo and cowboyethics344 like this.
  11. ScooberJake

ScooberJake Sheriff

:ban:

12. cowboyethics344

cowboyethics344 Federal Marshal

No one is hating on Walsh at all in this thread. All I am saying is get behind your starting QB no matter who he is! Lunt is the starter.....get behind him!

13. Birry

Birry Territorial Marshal

This. This. This. This. This.

14. Bdubtulsa

Bdubtulsa Greenhorn

Zone read can work occasionally. Especially if we're making the defense play heavy on the pass. Just another weapon to use when we can catch someone off guard.

Drive fast, take chances.

15. Cody51

Cody51 Deputy

Debatable, zone read works a) in highschool or b) when you devote enough practice time to it.
    Personally I would rather the practice time be spent getting as many reps possible for our TRUE FRESHMAN QB, than practicing gimmick plays.
    The success of the offense this year will be based on execution and limiting Lunt freshman mistakes.
    Separate packages for Walsh will only take away from the focus that our offense will need to compete this year.

16. jparsons87

jparsons87 Cowboy

Quit being a douche. Everybody knows it works because we've all seen it. Just because the scheme we run now is is more effective doesn't mean the old one never worked anyway.

17. Cody51

Cody51 Deputy

Easy, no reason to be calling people names.
    Read my post again, I said it can work, but it takes a significant amount of practice time to Run it well in CFB.
    In choosing Lunt the coaching staff has made a decision to stick with the air raid, which is another offensive system that takes a lot of practice time to implement well.
    What my point is that I would rather the coaching staff use the very limited practice time they have to get Lunt as many reps as they can, than practice something that is a complete departure from our offensive philosophy.

RocketCowboy likes this.
  18. OrangeFanatic

OrangeFanatic Wrangler

I understand your points! Im an assistant co- OC coach and we run a spread no huddle offense however we had a spectacular RB last year who is now going to play for Northwestern. We wanted to find more ways to get him the ball, so we ran wildcat with him and worked on it every practice. What we would do is go through our offensive practice regularly then when we would start our drive down the field against a defense we would randomly yell Gator, (that's what we named it lol) and they knew what to do, we called the play and they ran it then went back to our regular formation. It's not that hard to plan out a special package, work on it a bit and run it effectively. Now I understand high school is way differ than college but coaches are smart and if they wanna make this package happen, it will work just fine and just add another dimension to our offense and make it even harder to prepare for.

RutherfordFan likes this.
  19. RutherfordFan

RutherfordFan Territorial Marshal

^This. Lunt is our starting QB and for good reason, he can throw the dang football. I think he has pro potential in time. That said, no reason not to throw in a package Walsh can practice. It won't take away from Lunt at all. Walsh is a good athlete no reason not to have him involved in some way.

20. newpoke

newpoke Deputy

The more wrinkles and packages we can install into our offense, the better, IMO. When you have a guy who was the #4 dual-threat QB recruit in the nation, you gotta figure out a way to get him involved, and opponents will have to respect his arm as well as his feet. As for the zone read, I don't know that the coaches have anything like that in mind, but Texas won a national championship with it, albeit, with VY at the helm. So, it CAN be effective.