What do you ag students learn for 4 years?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Fox News reflected the full context of the video in this report and the full talk is embedded above: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bloomberg-implied-farming-is-easy-in-2016-comments

"The agrarian society lasted 3,000 years and we could teach processes. I could teach anybody, even people in this room, no offense intended, to be a farmer," Bloomberg said. "It's a process. You dig a hole, you put a seed in, you put dirt on top, add water, up comes the corn. You could learn that. Then we had 300 years of the industrial society. You put the piece of metal on the lathe, you turn the crank in the direction of the arrow and you can have a job. And we created a lot of jobs. At one point, 98 percent of the world worked in agriculture, now it's 2 percent in the United States."

"The agrarian society lasted 3,000 years and we could teach processes. I could teach anybody, even people in this room, no offense intended, to be a farmer," Bloomberg said. "It's a process. You dig a hole, you put a seed in, you put dirt on top, add water, up comes the corn. You could learn that. Then we had 300 years of the industrial society. You put the piece of metal on the lathe, you turn the crank in the direction of the arrow and you can have a job. And we created a lot of jobs. At one point, 98 percent of the world worked in agriculture, now it's 2 percent in the United States.

"Now comes the information economy and the information economy is fundamentally different because it's built around replacing people with technology and the skill sets that you have to learn are how to think and analyze, and that is a whole degree level different. You have to have a different skill set, you have to have a lot more gray matter. It's not clear the teachers can teach or the students can learn, and so the challenge of society of finding jobs for these people, who we can take care of giving them a roof over their head and a meal in their stomach and a cell phone and a car and that sort of thing. But the thing that is the most important, that will stop them from setting up a guillotine someday, is the dignity of a job"

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Trading Trump to Bloomberg would just be trading one narcissistic billionaire for another. But, at least the current narcissistic billionaire only wants to control his inner circle. Bloomberg appears to believe that he needs to control all of us.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Trading Trump to Bloomberg would just be trading one narcissistic billionaire for another. But, at least the current narcissistic billionaire only wants to control his inner circle. Bloomberg appears to believe that he needs to control all of us.
THIS!

Aug 16, 2012
My reading between the lines: Those that have/obtain a "Farmer's skill set" don't really have the capacity to understand the types of technology that are actively replacing people in the work force. These types can't program.

Hey Mike, I'll bet you a year's salary that you can't drive this vvvvvvvvvvvvvv 10ft. :rolleyes:

View attachment 77653
Oh shit, that brings back old memories. Ran one a week for a guy named Clarence Cravens out of Fairview in 1981. Nice cushy John Deere with all the bells and whistles including AC, quad speakers where I blasted my ZZ Top cassettes.

Then the header jams and you are out sweating in 100 degree heat, flies and all sorts of bugs swarming you, itchy wheat chaff that finds every nook and cranny. Learned how to drive one from a 7-year old kid. Up at 5:00, work all day until a field was done then we loaded up the three combines, two dump trucks, pick-ups and two travel trailers, one for us hands and one for Clarence, his wife, Clay and, his proverbial farmer's daughter, Pam. Still have dreams of Pam.
Digressed, but it was possibly the most grueling week of my life.

I quit. Could not take any more after the week.

Apr 14, 2009
Oh shit, that brings back old memories. Ran one a week for a guy named Clarence Cravens out of Fairview in 1981. Nice cushy John Deere with all the bells and whistles including AC, quad speakers where I blasted my ZZ Top cassettes.

Then the header jams and you are out sweating in 100 degree heat, flies and all sorts of bugs swarming you, itchy wheat chaff that finds every nook and cranny. Learned how to drive one from a 7-year old kid. Up at 5:00, work all day until a field was done then we loaded up the three combines, two dump trucks, pick-ups and two travel trailers, one for us hands and one for Clarence, his wife, Clay and, his proverbial farmer's daughter, Pam. Still have dreams of Pam.
Digressed, but it was possibly the most grueling week of my life.

I quit. Could not take any more after the week.
Pussy.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Do you still vote in US elections?

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I'm at work and didn't listen, just read. He went on to say:

"Now comes the information economy and the information economy is fundamentally different because it's built around replacing people with technology and the skill sets that you have to learn are how to think and analyze, and that is a whole degree level different. You have to have a different skill set, you have to have a lot more gray matter. "

I'll have to listen when I get home but it's hard to understand how this was just a matter of context. The quotes make it sound like he thinks farming is for simple minded people to dig in the dirt.
He's trying (again, I'm reading between lines, think we can all agree he isn't best when it comes to a straight forward answer) to say that the skill set for agriculture is different than it was centuries ago. That it is no longer for simple minded people who want to dig in the dirt. The anecdote of the lathe machine to today's technology is analogous to the seed in the ground to today's farmers.
No, he's coming some agrarian economy to current higher level information based economy.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
No, he's coming some agrarian economy to current higher level information based economy.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
He is saying many people are not intelligent enough to be successful in the new economy but they need the dignity of a job.

"Now comes the information economy and the information economy is fundamentally different because it's built around replacing people with technology and the skill sets that you have to learn are how to think and analyze, and that is a whole degree level different. You have to have a different skill set, you have to have a lot more gray matter. It's not clear the teachers can teach or the students can learn, and so the challenge of society of finding jobs for these people, who we can take care of giving them a roof over their head and a meal in their stomach and a cell phone and a car and that sort of thing. But the thing that is the most important, that will stop them from setting up a guillotine someday, is the dignity of a job"

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
One big difference: The current guy actually did win a Presidential election.
Correction: he lost the election but won the White House.
That’s what every Liberal says.

That logic is no different than - we gained more yards, had fewer penalties and turnovers so we won the stat sheet but lost the scoreboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 12, 2019
Dustin,ok
” Just Kill It” Mike Bloomberg “ Just Kill It” , it looked like lovely Major Pete had the Dr. Ulrich Klopfer 2411 Trophy won,but not so,the voters who are all committed baby killers will give it to The Mike now. Sorry Bernie you and the rest of the motley crew have been topped by three little words the new mantra of the left “just kill it”.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Bloomberg is everything the media and Dem elites claim that Trump is. Rich, white, hetero, male, authoritarian and possibly even racist. Yet while they will do everything in their power to bring Trump down, they have already bent over backwards to give Bloomberg special treatment and will continue to prop him up as best they can.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Correction: he lost the election but won the White House.
So Joy Behar posts on OP.com?

Sorry Joy, the rules of the game were established about 150 years ago. The Democrats should have found a candidate who didn't make a lot of Democrats stay home and a lot of Republicans vote for an a-hole.