What do you think GIA will look like this year?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 27, 2008
That is the biggest question for me about this season, what does GIA look like this year? We've finally got our guy as coach who is everything we could ask for, X's & O's, defense minded, excellent recruiter, excellent player development, represents OSU values and character, etc....An exciting young talented team that plays hard fundamentally sound basketball. The tickets are dirt cheap. Do we see it this year as it once was? Packed to the rafters for home games. Or do you think it's like last year and only sold out for KU and OU?

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
That is the biggest question for me about this season, what does GIA look like this year? We've finally got our guy as coach who is everything we could ask for, X's & O's, defense minded, excellent recruiter, excellent player development, represents OSU values and character, etc....An exciting young talented team that plays hard fundamentally sound basketball. The tickets are dirt cheap. Do we see it this year as it once was? Packed to the rafters for home games. Or do you think it's like last year and only sold out for KU and OU?
Honestly, I think it will take a year or two to get the fans interested again.

Mar 27, 2008
I wish our fans had that same hellfire and brimstone to them this year, as we did last year when we got snubbed by the committee for the NCAA Tournament. We sold out home games for the NIT because we were insulted, and we wanted to prove to the committee that they were wrong for keeping us out....

Well now they're picking us to finish last in the Big12, again. They don't think we'll make the tournament, again. Where is that same pride we had in our program last season after getting snubbed?

Aug 7, 2006
Probably a lot like last year, unfortunately. Weekend games will have good crowds and the weekday games will be average, unless we go on a run to start conference play. I think this will be the team that brings the fans back, though we might not see it until next season.

HolyGuacamole

Guacamole Eater
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
We need to have a couple of years where we finish in the top half of the Big 12 before enough people will get consistently excited again. And we have a lousy Big 12 home schedule.

8:00 Wednesday 1-2-19 Iowa State
6:00 Tuesday 1-8-19 Texas
8:00 Monday 1-14-19 Baylor
8:00 Wednesday 1-23-19 OU
5:00 Saturday 2-2-19 Kansas State
8:00 Wednesday 2-13-19 Texas Tech
8:00 Monday 2-18-19 TCU
11:00 Saturday 3-2-19 Kansas
3:00 Saturday 3-9-19 West Virginia

5 of our first 7 Big 12 home games are at 8:00 on weeknights. It's tough to get people to drive in from Tulsa or OKC for those games. In the mid-2000s that wouldn't have mattered. But I'm afraid it's going to mean a lot of empty seats again this year unless we go on some crazy, unexpected winning streak.

Dec 21, 2008
Adding every game on TV hurts attendance plus I live in Tulsa and cannot get to a 6pm game and 8pm games I don't get home until almost midnight on a weeknight which is not ideal for a 5:30am work wake up alarm.

THIS is our biggest barrier! A lot of people from OKC and Tulsa could go to 7pm weekday games, but not 6 or 8pm. All about the money

Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I wish our fans had that same hellfire and brimstone to them this year, as we did last year when we got snubbed by the committee for the NCAA Tournament. We sold out home games for the NIT because we were insulted, and we wanted to prove to the committee that they were wrong for keeping us out....

Well now they're picking us to finish last in the Big12, again. They don't think we'll make the tournament, again. Where is that same pride we had in our program last season after getting snubbed?
It’s about football now. Basketball was the sacrificial lamb.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
It’s about football now. Basketball was the sacrificial lamb.
but.... but... but.... Miller (conf champs), Thurman, Barry, Rusty, et al. came before Eddie returned.

and GIA was expanded before BPS... and we had a multi-million dollar BB coach contract....

Basketball has everything it needs to succeed, and then some... if there was a "sacrificial lamb" wasn't it Baseball, who still does not have upgraded facilities and amenities?

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
I kinda think this, unless we make a good conference run—then it will start to fill up.

Just give it time...win some and it will get there.
Even though I think Underwood is a dirtbag and am glad he left. He had it on the right track the year he was here, then our fickle fans took it personal that Holder didn't go out and hire a big name coach. Probably set attendance back a year, but I think Boynton will have us back on track soon. With the young group we have and the recruiting class coming in, I'm excited.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
Has there been any press release like in years past on how many bball tickets were pre-sold as part of registration? Students HAVE to step up and show up. Not all their responsibility, but they are supposed to be the core and are much more prone as a whole to go rabid and blow the top off as opposed to travelling alumni.

Aug 31, 2013
I guess because my first love is basketball, I don’t get why we can get 50k+ for football games and can’t get 13,611 for basketball games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
I guess because my first love is basketball, I don’t get why we can get 50k+ for football games and can’t get 13,611 for basketball games.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of the reasons is simply population and geography. Stillwater is a small town. Major metros are an hour away, and they have their own basketball games including NBA. Most alumni no longer live in Stillwater and games, especially weekday games, are tough to work into your schedule. Add to it that football games are a full day event when you include tailgating. Each football game means a great deal more in the outcome of the season.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
One of the reasons is simply population and geography. Stillwater is a small town. Major metros are an hour away, and they have their own basketball games including NBA. Most alumni no longer live in Stillwater and games, especially weekday games, are tough to work into your schedule. Add to it that football games are a full day event when you include tailgating. Each football game means a great deal more in the outcome of the season.
You also only have to invest 6 Saturdays a year in football.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
OSU should schedule one or two games a year in OKC and Tulsa at their arena with a well known team. It does seem odd that they do not have more weekend home games this year. It seems that they would be smart to close the upper level until the attendance improves and have everyone sit in the lower sections. My guess is we will start selling out once we have some tournament runs. I wish they still had the All College Tournament around Christmas time with a six to eight team format. Those seemed to always be good games until they had both OSU and OU in every year and they only had one day of games.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
This is a great question.

What needs to happen, primarily is that the student section needs to be filled up completely. That needs to happen regardless.

The only thing that irks me about the students is whether they follow recruiting or not. For myself personally, that goes a long way in keeping my interest, and of course, Boynton has far exceeded expectations in that department. It’s hard to measure if Jennifer Smith or John Johnson, in their dorm rooms, are aware of what Boynton is doing off the court, or if they simply care about wins and losses, and that’s it.

Dec 21, 2008
Students' interest in athletics has declined rapidly as the phone usage has grown. Look at HoCo and Hoops. All the Greeks show up, they announce awards, and all the Greeks leave. I wish they would create a points system or discounts on clothing etc the more games you go to. Coach B and players go to Greek Houses all the time for dinners and speaking events. It is just the lack of interest in kids' hearts these days. Attendance is down at all levels in most sports. Even FB attendance sucks from the student section

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
My wife gets home from work most days around 5:30. We live 100 miles away and it takes 90 minutes to drive whether I drive 70 or 80 mph, so weekday games are next to impossible for us to make. An 8:00 tip off is an extreme maybe. By the time I could park and make it inside, even that would be cutting it close. Then my 4:00 am wake up the next day would not be good.

Aug 16, 2012
My wife gets home from work most days around 5:30. We live 100 miles away and it takes 90 minutes to drive whether I drive 70 or 80 mph, so weekday games are next to impossible for us to make. An 8:00 tip off is an extreme maybe. By the time I could park and make it inside, even that would be cutting it close. Then my 4:00 am wake up the next day would not be good.
You have to cut out or take vacation time for the majority of OSU fans to get to Stillwater on a weekday. Fine once or twice a season. But if one took a couple hours of vacation each weekday home game, you are looking at 1/4 to 1/8 of many people's vacation time for the whole year. Again, the students have to pack the place on the weekdays.