What matters more to you substance or style

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 26, 2008
Id rather have someone act 'unpresidential' and get things done than someone act the height of 'presidential' and fail actually being president 10 time out of 10.

Trump
Hypothetical future Republican or Democrat Presidents
Doesn't matter

Getting things done matters infinitely more, to me than, how you act.

After Kennedy, Nixon, Clinton, Trump you name em, what does 'presidential' even mean?

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Id rather have someone act 'unpresidential' and get things done than someone act the height of 'presidential' and fail actually being president 10 time out of 10.

Trump
Hypothetical future Republican or Democrat Presidents
Doesn't matter

After Kennedy, Nixon, Clinton, Trump you name em, what does 'presidential' even mean?
Evidently Presidential is the art of lying to your face and making you believe it.

I've always said, pay attention to what people do, not what they say they will do.

Mar 11, 2006
If I didn’t know the answer prior, I know now. I definitely prefer substance over style. I greatly dislike Trump’s style and wish he was not so thin skinned and get off Twitter (although I do love him and SHS calling out the media with media’s fake news).

But I know of zero Democrat candidates, who I probably like their style more, that I would even give a millisecond of thought to vote them over Trump. The current platform from the leaders of the Dem party have thoughts and ideas that, IMO, would be horrible for American life.

What is most telling to me is the many items Trump supports and the liberals decry as mean ... are nearly identical to policies Obama supported as a candidate and both Clintons supported as well.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Which is basically the Democrat argument from the 90's. "We elected a president, not a pope," said every Democrat ever circa 1992-2000. Around the same time, every Republican on the planet said, "Character matters."

We've lost the culture war. Lefties, if you don't like it that Republicans now say, "We elected a president, not a pope," you have no one to blame but yourselves because this is exactly what you wanted Republicans to accept. You are idiots if you thought it would somehow work to your advantage and you didn't imagine it being applied to someone you don't like.

I still think character matters. In fact, I've been studying Aristotelian and Platonic ethics and have come to believe even more that character matters.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
We've lost the culture war. Lefties, if you don't like it that Republicans now say, "We elected a president, not a pope," you have no one to blame but yourselves because this is exactly what you wanted Republicans to accept. You are idiots if you thought it would somehow work to your advantage and you didn't imagine it being applied to someone you don't like.
Maybe, but that is a two-way street. Well at least as far as the hypocrisy goes. Funny thing is that it was Clinton that made damn sure I wouldn't vote for a Democrat again in a national office for 20 years running. Now it is Trump that is forcing me to go back against that. As far as I'm concerned they are two sides of the same coin and I still believe character matters. I just can't support someone who I can't trust.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Maybe, but that is a two-way street. Well at least as far as the hypocrisy goes. Funny thing is that it was Clinton that made damn sure I wouldn't vote for a Democrat again in a national office for 20 years running. Now it is Trump that is forcing me to go back against that. As far as I'm concerned they are two sides of the same coin and I still believe character matters. I just can't support someone who I can't trust.
When one side convinces the other side of something it isn't hypocrisy on the side that was convinced, it is hypocrisy on the side that did the convincing and is now complaining because they don't like the results of what they tried to convince the other side of.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
I couldn't vote for Clinton both times largely due to his character issues. So I voted for Perot both times. I liked him for saying something like if a man cheats on his wife, you can't trust him. Some people may say Perot had character issues, but I don't think they were as bad as Clinton's. There was no possible way I could vote for Trump, due to his severe character issues. But for now, it seems that Trump is turning out to be so bad that he is good, even re-electable in 2020. But with the passage of time we'll see.

Last edited:

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
I couldn't vote for Clinton both times largely due to his character issues. So I voted for Perot both times. I liked him for saying something like if a man cheats on his wife, you can't trust him. Some people may say Perot had character issues, but I don't think they were as bad as Clinton's. There was no possible way I could vote for Trump, due to his severe character issues. But for now it seems that Trump is so bad that he is going to turn out to be good. But still too early to tell for sure with me.
Wait... you mean to tell me you're old enough to have been eligible to vote in both of Clinton's election years?? That mean's...
... you're at least in your 40's?!? Wow. I would have NEVER guessed that...

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Wait... you mean to tell me you're old enough to have been eligible to vote in both of Clinton's election years?? That mean's...
Why? What is your problem, Oks10? The same question goes out to Duke Silver and RXCowboy. Really, do you all pretty strongly think that only people in the 20s and 30s want marijuana to be legalized? By the way, I know of someone well into his 90s who wants marijuana and other drugs legalized. Hey, drugs in society are a health problem, not a crime problem.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Why? What is your problem, Oks10? The same question goes out to Duke Silver and RXCowboy. Really, do you all pretty strongly think that only people in the 20s and 30s want marijuana to be legalized? By the way, I know of someone well into his 90s who wants marijuana and other drugs legalized.
Who said anything about marijuana?... I'm talking whole picture...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
When one side convinces the other side of something it isn't hypocrisy on the side that was convinced, it is hypocrisy on the side that did the convincing and is now complaining because they don't like the results of what they tried to convince the other side of.
Exactly.