1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What Would The End of Football Look Like?

Discussion in 'Non-OSU Sports Discussion' started by Gman, May 6, 2012.

1. Gman

Gman Sheriff

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7559458/cte-concussion-crisis-economic-look-end-football

2. Arkansas_Poke

Arkansas_Poke Deputy

Green Bay would suffer in a big way.

3. Dez4Prez2012

Dez4Prez2012 Sheriff

What I don't get...in boxing it's totally fine and acceptable for head injuries to occur because they know what they are getting into, but in football we've got to shut it down?

4. Zcowboy

Zcowboy Wrangler

I predict the NFL will be flag football in 25 years.

5. Ball

Ball Deputy

That or, like boxing, will be marginalized to the realm of pay-per-view.

6. OSUCowboy787

OSUCowboy787 Sheriff

I don't think it will go to pay per view ever. People would throw such a fit that it wouldn't make sense for the networks not to air them. Plus people would just stop watching. I for 1 would not want to buy that many games at however much they would cost. ESPN would love it because people like me would just have the gamecast up all the time and not really worry about watching a video feed.

7. Celldweller7

Celldweller7 Territorial Marshal A/V Subscriber

No one boxes anymore, it took care of itself. If the head injury stuff gets more headlines, more medical backing, and especially if lawsuits get involved, will moms allow their kids to sign up for football in the coming decades?

8. John Adkins

John Adkins Cowboy

Football injuries and deaths almost killed the sport just after the turn of the century. Theodore Roosevelt led a successful movement to change the rules to make the game safer, probably saving the sport. This was before there was any scientific evidence about the long term physical effects. We may be witnessing the beginning of the end of the sport as we know it.