What would you like to see in a new Football Head Coach

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 16, 2012
Only a few answered my question on what you would like to see in a new Football Coach.
Even the 10 Qualities of a Great Sport Coach put out by the IOC would probably not win a Bedlam game. See the attached pdf document.
Yeah, but there are a few on there that help explain our current predicament.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Here are a few names that I would be interested in if Coach Gundy retired:
1. Todd Monken - He's an elite playcaller and beloved by most of our fanbase.
2. Bryan Harsin - He's at his alma mater, but we could easily double his salary.
3. Billy Napier - He's been very successful at Louisiana. He's on track to win his 3rd straight division title this year.
4. Luke Fickell - He's been consistently successful at Cincinnati, but it feels like he's destined for the Big 10.
5. Eric Bieniemy - He turned down Colorado last year, but we're a better program than the Buffalos. His success in the NFL could translate really well to the college game if he ever decided to leave.

I also like guys like Marcus Arroyo, Kasey Dunn, & Graham Harrell, but they still need to prove themselves before landing a job this big though.
Bieniemy is an NFL HC candidate for multiple teams right now. He's in a different league (literally) than who we could/should go after.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
Pretty sure they said Bieniemy is a NFL HC candidate for multiple teams right now. He's in a different league (literally) than who we could/should go after.
He's been mentioned as an NFL HC candidate for the past few years. I'm not sure why it hasn't happened for him yet. Maybe people think that his magic is tied to Mahomes and he would be average without him.

SiggyPoke

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2003
Tulsa
Here are a few names that I would be interested in if Coach Gundy retired:
1. Todd Monken - He's an elite playcaller and beloved by most of our fanbase.
2. Bryan Harsin - He's at his alma mater, but we could easily double his salary.
3. Billy Napier - He's been very successful at Louisiana. He's on track to win his 3rd straight division title this year.
4. Luke Fickell - He's been consistently successful at Cincinnati, but it feels like he's destined for the Big 10.
5. Eric Bieniemy - He turned down Colorado last year, but we're a better program than the Buffalos. His success in the NFL could translate really well to the college game if he ever decided to leave.

I also like guys like Marcus Arroyo, Kasey Dunn, & Graham Harrell, but they still need to prove themselves before landing a job this big though.
Eric Bieniemy is NFL head coaching gig bound.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
I’d be willing to have Phillip Montgomery considered. With less stringent academic standards for recruiting, better facilities, and stronger conference compared to TU, he might have some pretty strong success. I also believe he would thrive in the family atmosphere of the University itself
Nope, I could deal with Hugh Freeze before Briles's son-in-law
Montgomery did not marry Briles' daughter. That was Jeff Lebby.

Aug 7, 2006
Top Tier
Luke Fickell - Cincinnati: should be at the top of any list

Solid hires
Billy Napier - Louisiana: won a lot of games at Louisiana and will probably get a P5 job this year
Lance Leipold - Buffalo: won a bunch of D3 championships and has turned Buffalo into a solid program
Sonny Dykes - SMU: knows the Big 12, runs a good offense and has made SMU a player in the AAC

Maybe too soon, but both will have P5 jobs in the near future
Sean Lewis - Kent State: turned a dreadful Kent State program into a bowl team in his second year. OC for Dino Babers at BG and Syracuse, so offense would fit here
Will Healy - Charlotte: Austin Peay was 1-34 in the three previous season before he took over, they went 8-4 in his second year. Took Charlotte to their first bowl game in his first year.

Feb 18, 2009
View attachment 87307 YOU HAD TWO WEEKS! Get out of here with that s***. I’m a Gundy defender. I think he’s done a lot for OSU but that’s the best you got? Be better.
Anyone who doesn't do this. I was willing to just let it go as typical bedlam but these are direct quotes from the guy that is supposed to be leading the money maker. He's making $4 million a year to not have a plan and be prepared. What exactly was he doing for two weeks?

I'm done. Enjoy 6-8 win seasons until he's gone. There will be more 6's than 10's.

Credit to @OkstateKerr

Apr 20, 2011
I’m glad you brought this up because now it paves the way for me to respond with my theory. We still don’t really know to what extent Boone left his assets to OSU, been kind of a double-secret probation kind of thing; leading me to believe he left a large chunk of money that allows Holder or the next AD the financial opportunity to buy out Gundy AND go get a quality coach without money being a hindrance.
Would be awesome if this were true but Boone’s assets lost a lot of value in the last few years of his life. He didn’t pass away broke by any means but I have a hard time believing he left 10s of millions to OSU.

Feb 18, 2009
Top Tier
Luke Fickell - Cincinnati: should be at the top of any list

Solid hires
Billy Napier - Louisiana: won a lot of games at Louisiana and will probably get a P5 job this year
Lance Leipold - Buffalo: won a bunch of D3 championships and has turned Buffalo into a solid program
Sonny Dykes - SMU: knows the Big 12, runs a good offense and has made SMU a player in the AAC

Maybe too soon, but both will have P5 jobs in the near future
Sean Lewis - Kent State: turned a dreadful Kent State program into a bowl team in his second year. OC for Dino Babers at BG and Syracuse, so offense would fit here
Will Healy - Charlotte: Austin Peay was 1-34 in the three previous season before he took over, they went 8-4 in his second year. Took Charlotte to their first bowl game in his first year.
Jamey Chadwell is going to be a lot like Matt Campbell very soon.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
I think Gundy will move on if he gets the opportunity.
Budgets are tight bc covid, though.

I thought he'd be a lifer, but he seems like he's in a rut. His teams are good, but there's always crushing losses like TT the past 2 years and OU almost every year.The Hubbard stuff over the summer....

I think both Gundy and the Cowboy program would be better off if he moves on. Texas may be open, Mich. and several other jobs. maybe even fsu who chickened out of playing Clemson 2 hours before kick off.
Tennessee may be open soon. Maybe this will take care of itself.
Those opportunities have come and gone...I thought Gundy should have taken Tenn the second time around. I don’t see him leaving OSU, he’ll retire/be fired here.

Nov 6, 2010
Those opportunities have come and gone...I thought Gundy should have taken Tenn the second time around. I don’t see him leaving OSU, he’ll retire/be fired here.
I think this is correct. I don't think he is quite a shiny as he was a couple years ago. Someone could still make a run at him if their first or second choices fall through. I kinda wonder how long before Nebraska runs off Scott Frost. I think they'd probably like Gundy, and honestly, I'd kinda like Frost even though he's had a rough time in Lincoln so far.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
I think this is correct. I don't think he is quite a shiny as he was a couple years ago. Someone could still make a run at him if their first or second choices fall through. I kinda wonder how long before Nebraska runs off Scott Frost. I think they'd probably like Gundy, and honestly, I'd kinda like Frost even though he's had a rough time in Lincoln so far.
I wish this was like the nfl where we could do a trade of coaches.