Wheel of Time TV Series Confirmed

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

State

Russian Bot
A/V Subscriber
Mar 15, 2007
TX
BY TERRI SCHWARTZ A Wheel of Time TV series is indeed in the works.

In a press statement, Harriet McDougal -- the editor of the Wheel of Time novels and widow of Robert Jordan -- announced an official announcement about the forthcoming series should be coming from a studio soon.

"Wanted to share with you exciting news about The Wheel of Time. Legal issues have been resolved. The Wheel of Time will become a cutting edge TV series! I couldn’t be more pleased," she wrote on Google+. "Look for the official announcement coming soon from a major studio."

The Eye of the World

Wheel of Time was included on IGN's list of the 5 unadapted fantasy series that deserve Hollywood's attention. One of the most recognizable and popular fantasy series of all time, Wheel of Time is a massive epic with a sprawling cast of characters that tells the story of the quest to find the Dragon Reborn and stop the Dark One.

In 2015, Red Eagle Entertainment released a low budget "pilot" for Wheel of Time that aired late in the night on FXX, seemingly in an attempt to hold onto the series' rights. After McDougal claimed no knowledge of the project, Red Eagle sued her for slander, though it seems those legal problems have since been resolved.

--------

This is awesome! I'm still on book 10 of the series but I'm looking forward to how they do this. I hope they do it justice.

State

Russian Bot
A/V Subscriber
Mar 15, 2007
TX
They need some one with a large budget to do this right, like netflix or amazon. This is one of my all time favorite book series.
Yeah, I was thinking the same. I could see AMC wanting their own high fantasy show but wouldn't be surprised if it's on Syfy. I read one guess that it's going to be animated which might actually be the best way to do it justice, though I wouldn't bet on that.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
One of my favorite book series of all time. This could be awesome or they could completely screw it up. Budget makes all the difference, compare Game of Thrones with Legend of the Seeker (Sword of Truth novels). Here's to hoping this is treated more like the former. So who plays who? I'm not as hip on the younger actors so have no clue. Way back when I first started reading the series I thought Christian Slater would be a perfect Mat but of course he's too old now.

msq2

Banned
Banned
Aug 27, 2009
One of my favorite book series of all time. This could be awesome or they could completely screw it up. Budget makes all the difference, compare Game of Thrones with Legend of the Seeker (Sword of Truth novels). Here's to hoping this is treated more like the former. So who plays who? I'm not as hip on the younger actors so have no clue. Way back when I first started reading the series I thought Christian Slater would be a perfect Mat but of course he's too old now.
The channel it is on makes a huge difference on the tone the site can take

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
It could end up like the Shannara series that totally screwed with the plot and put in way too much teen romance crap.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
In my opinion this series is one of the best modern masterpieces ever written. It is complex and enthralling and completely engaging for readers.

That said....they screw this up and I'll be beyond pissed. Perrin Aybara forever!

CasperPoke11

The Car'a'carn
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 5, 2012
Stillwater,OK
Rumor has it that Amazon is developing the TV adaption. I am pretty excited if Amazon has gotten the rights cause they are spending 3 billion dollars on original content this year and to do the book series justice it will need a GoT type budget.

CasperPoke11

The Car'a'carn
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 5, 2012
Stillwater,OK
Rafe Judkins has been tapped to serve as showrunner, executive producer and writer on the Wheel of Time TV show. A longtime fan of Robert Jordan's epic 14-book fantasy series, Judkins previously wrote and produced on Marvel's Agents of SHIELD. He also wrote episodes of Chuck and wrote and produced episodes of Netflix's Hemlock Grove. Sony Pictures Television will serve as the producing studio for the Wheel of Time adaptation. Red Eagle Entertainment and Radar Pictures will produce. Red Eagle's Rick Selvage and Larry Mondragon will act as executive producers, with Radar's Ted Field and Mike Weber and Goosebumps' Darren Lemke also serving as executive producers. Jordan's widow and longtime Wheel of Time editor Harriet McDougal will serve as consulting producer.

The next step for the in-development series is securing a network for distribution. No target release date has been set.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/20/wheel-of-time-tv-series-sets-showrunner-production-studio

State

Russian Bot
A/V Subscriber
Mar 15, 2007
TX
Glad it's moving forward but don't know enough about the writers and producers to know how excited to be. I'm guessing this means it will be on network TV instead of Netflix, Amazon, or HBO.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Part of me really just wants this made but man I do worry about overbearing network executives or limited budgets screwing it up. HBO has shown how to turn a fantasy setting book into a show. Fair or not, all others will be compared to that. If anything needs big budget, it's this. If they give it the Xena/Hercules treatment, then I'll be very disappointed.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
A couple thoughts for people after reading through this thread:

• IMHO, budget will not be a concern. I read that the rights purchase for this is rumored to be 8 figures which is nearly unprecedented. If that much is being invested in the rights, then they definitely will invest in the production.
  • Though Sony is the production company, don't let that suggest where it lands. From what I understand sony has produced for several networks including Netflix. Personally, I would be on Amazon or Netflix. AMC could well be priced out of it.
  • As far as content goes, I'm not sure where I want this to land. Though the books have frequent nudity in them, the tone is rarely sexual. The tone itself is much more conservative than GoT and is more of a Lord of the Rings style. Including nudity in the series may alter that which I would not want.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
A couple thoughts for people after reading through this thread:

• IMHO, budget will not be a concern. I read that the rights purchase for this is rumored to be 8 figures which is nearly unprecedented. If that much is being invested in the rights, then they definitely will invest in the production.
  • Though Sony is the production company, don't let that suggest where it lands. From what I understand sony has produced for several networks including Netflix. Personally, I would be on Amazon or Netflix. AMC could well be priced out of it.
  • As far as content goes, I'm not sure where I want this to land. Though the books have frequent nudity in them, the tone is rarely sexual. The tone itself is much more conservative than GoT and is more of a Lord of the Rings style. Including nudity in the series may alter that which I would not want.
Would HBO bite on it as a GOT replacement? I know they are going to do a GOT spin off...but this could be their next EPIC fantasy show