1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Which Liberal/Conservative "newsperson" do you despise?

Discussion in 'World News & Politics' started by naranjaynegro, Jun 18, 2012.

1. naranjaynegro

naranjaynegro Deputy

And for you liberals.....we know you don't like Beck or Rush.....so give me something else.

Of the written word, Paul Krugman takes the cake for me. This guy really hammers republicans on the austerity/economic issues in his NYT column, in such a one sided manner it is a joke....... but is a lot tamer on TV.

For some reason, I also can't stand Katrina vanden Heuvel of The Nation. I watch her on ABC's Sunday morning news show occasionally and she is so obviously partisan, deluded and comes across as an intellectual snob of the nth degree. I could watch Rachael Maddow or Ed Schultz and never come away with the level of pissivity that I have for this woman. Oh, yeah, Debbie Wasserman Schultz is not my favorite either.
    NYC Poke likes this.
  2. NYC Poke

A/V Subscriber NYC Poke Sir Dr. Lawyer Esquire, Lord of East Texica

I like this phrase. I like it a lot. I may have to start using it.

David Brooks gets on my nerves. He tries to maintain a facade that he is somehow above the fray while at the same time wallowing in the partisan muck, just with prettier verbiage than is used on Fox News.

And while I am there, I think the world would be a better place without Fox News or MSNBC. I think they are both insipid. I find myself watching a lot of MSNBC these days because that's what my brother watches it, and hey, he's the cancer patient. But I can't even stand the sound of it. We need to relearn how to talk about political issues without shouting at each other.
    PlatypusJojo, zachya and Hbuchanan like this.
  3. naranjaynegro

naranjaynegro Deputy

Yeah, its funny I think to hear these "newspeople" (and its the worst on ABC of the Sunday morning shows I watch) sit and talk about the highly partisan nature of politics these days and then get in a hissy fit, talk over each other and damn near come to blows with one another over left/right issues.

The media, I think, has to take a look at itself and ask how it is contributing to the partisan divide by the way they slant / report the news to their favored set of beliefs.

Feel free to use the phrase as you see fit.:)
  4. NYC Poke

The movie Network came on TV a little while back and I watched it for a bit. It's amazing how contempory it feels. I recommend a re-watch. That movie really predicted the future quite accurately (as well as having one of the best movie lines ever in "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this any more!"

I think I may go use it on the horses first to try it out.
    OSU Sig likes this.
  5. Cowboy2U

Cowboy2U Cowboy

Maher, Carville in that order.
  6. SiggyPoke

SiggyPoke Deputy

Hannity and his hair line annoy me.
  7. rideemcowboys

rideemcowboys Cowboy

I don't think you can call Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck "Newspersons". That is something that I hear a lot from the left side of the aisle. They seem to have a hard time distinguishing opinion from news. Their shows are clearly op-ed 100%. Hannity is different. I think he is a combination - and I can see why it becomes confusing for people.

So, with that said, I'm going with actual "Newspersons". I'm going with three guys I think are about as biased as it gets on TV (and of course they can be found on MSNBC - yeah I know Hannity is the other side of the coin but he at least has liberals on his shows) and I rank them below:

1. Chris "Tingle up my leg" Matthews - this guy is a royal tool to the nth degree. I suspect he is a closet conservative like Arianna Huffington and is making a lot of $$$ off the left getting them to watch and drive up his ratings waiting on one of his famous outrageous statements. He is either crazy like a fox or one of the biggest morons to ever be on TV. He always screams racism every chance he gets. Yet, he is the same guy that said after Obama's first State of the Union Address "You know, I actually forgot he was black for an hour." This guy is a white version of Al Sharpton, IMO.

2. Ed "Crybaby" Schultz - Just watch his show and you know what I mean. Any grown man that acts like he does on broadcast television should not be allowed near a newsroom. He is another guy that use to be conservative and I suspect is just following the money.

3. Rachel Maddow - She is just very close minded and refuses to even consider another point of view. However, of the three she seems to be the only one with a functioning brain. She at least tries to appear to be reporting the news - complete with her arrogant and condescending tone. She is to me the liberal version of Hannity.

I didn't put Olbermann on here. He was so ridiculous that I think it made him harmless. I'm sure even the most radical liberals had a hard time taking anything he said too seriously.
    OSU Sig, ksupoke and naranjaynegro like this.
  8. bleedinorange

bleedinorange Wrangler

No like in no particular order; Hannity, Madow, Matthews, vanden Heuvel.

Like; Chris Wallace, Juan Williams, Krauthhammer, Susan Estrich
    NotOnTV and ksupoke like this.
  9. naranjaynegro

naranjaynegro Deputy

Yeah, I like Chris Wallace a lot. I think he is a straight shooter and asks tough questions of both conservatives and liberals alike. Best thing about him? I don't know what his political persuasion is when I watch him.
  10. ksupoke

A/V Subscriber ksupoke I've never studied a HS recruits tape

Pretty much despise all of them I think the approach to 'news' that they have is exactly why we have a soundbite educated electorate with little substance to any discussion.
    Being louder or more obnoxious does not make you right regardless of your political persuasion, something I have to remind myself of some times.
  11. MSteph57

A/V Subscriber MSteph57 Cowboy

No me gusta: Guberman, Madow, Maher, Matthews, and Al Gore anytime he's on tv.

Me gusta: O'Reilly when he's taken his crazy medication, the Red Eye crew, Juan Williams, Beck if I need to go far right, and Hannity in doses is alright.

Me gusta mucho muy: S. E. Cupp- you will be mine. Oh yes...mine :)
  12. Jostate

Jostate Cowboy

Bill Maher. I agree with him more often than I want to admit, but something about his smug little face makes me want to punch him.
  13. SiggyPoke

SiggyPoke Deputy

His dad (the late Mike Wallace) was very much the same. He was liberal, but you wouldn't really know it when watching his interviews. That's a rare thing today.

14. zachya

A/V Subscriber zachya Hero of Spielburg

...you know who I'd looooooove to straight Falcon Punch? Nancy Grace. Shut. Up. !$@=...and I don't throw the ”c”” word around lightly...
  15. NYC Poke

I agree, but njn DID put it in quotes.

Careful about that. I used to think the same thing about Rush et al.
  16. Slugger926

Slugger926 Deputy

I dont't mind liberal views. The problem though with most people claiming to be liberal is that they are not liberal.
    ksupoke likes this.
  17. naranjaynegro

naranjaynegro Deputy

Interesting....I had to go to the "urban dictionary" to find Falcon punch....you really don't like Fancy Nancy do you?:)

An extremely animated and/or self-narrated punch that resembles that dealt by Captain Falcon (of SNES game F-Zero) in the Nintendo video game Super Smash Brothers. Usually accompanied by the screaming of the phrase "Falcon Punch!"
    zachya likes this.
  18. ksupoke

A/V Subscriber ksupoke I've never studied a HS recruits tape

Most extremists on both sides are entertainers not journalists (when you are paid $10M / yr for your show you cannot be unbiased and you must entertain) they are not paid for deep insight they are paid to stir the pot and create controversy since controversy sells and advertisers pay the bills.
    Then there are pundits usually someone with some level of political experience and with a high degree of bias, but on certain occasion the ability to set it aside to appear unbiased.

There are very few news journalists, soundbites, not facts are what all media is about now and shamefully we, as a whole, have accepted the lack of integrity of the 'news' media.

I do agree that Wallace is about as good as they come today.
    State likes this.
  19. Philranger

Philranger Wrangler

naranjaynegro likes this.
  20. MSteph57

A/V Subscriber MSteph57 Cowboy

Funniest things I've heard was my buddy punching his brother shouting falcon punch or falcon kick...man is it football season yet.