Who's gonna start at QB?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Eh, he just turned in the 3rd worst QB rating since 2010. Our defense was garbage that's true but it isn't like Cordog did himself any favors.
Penalties and OL issues didn't help either. Seems like we'd get to a 3rd and 3 situation and then there'd be a false start or a hold, which would then force Corndog to have to make a big play.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Penalties and OL issues didn't help either. Seems like we'd get to a 3rd and 3 situation and then there'd be a false start or a hold, which would then force Corndog to have to make a big play.
Those are all true but in this offense a decent QB should at the very least never have sub 50% completion percentage in a game. Rudolph, Chelf, and Walsh all only went that low once in their entire careers (when throwing more than like 6 passes). Corndog did it three times in one season.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
He did lose his job to another QB at Hawaii, which is why he didn't transfer until the summer.

And Taylor Cornelius is a special case. He earned the job over the course of four years to a bust named John Kolar.

Spencer Sanders wasn't ready last year. If he's not ready this year... we're in trouble.
you've got an excuse for everything don't you?

none of that is entirely true. Brown transferred... 7 guys transferred from that team, they likely got beat out in the summer too... right?

the backup QB (behind Brown) McDonald, did not win the starting job until the first game... it had nothing to do with "summer". Let's see.... he could not beat out Brown one season, but the next season he's the stud... OMG. Alert the Hawaii coach!!!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...daaa5b2a57f_story.html?utm_term=.b3630df8e0a9

Brown was the team captain and starter, he transferred for personal and family reasons. The Hawaii coach had to change the entire offense in the off-season for the 2nd string QB.

He transferred in the summer because he was trying to compete coursework to GRADUATE, as a Junior. (with 2 years left).

2017 (Junior): Recipient of the Coach Tom Kaulukukui Offensive Captain Award…named one of four team captains prior to the season…started all 12 games at quarterback…one of four players on offense to start every game of the season...finished the year with 2,785 yards passing with 18 touchdowns and eight interceptions…averaged 232.1 yards per game, while completing 61.7 percent of his passes…ranked third in the Mountain West in passing yards per game and in total offense (232.7 ypg)

Brown’s return to the mainland was brought about in part because of his desire to be a little closer to family as he wraps up his football career in college.

“This decision has nothing to do with football,” Brown told the Star Advertiser. “My family comes before this game.”

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I’m certain the QB that gives us the best chance to win will start.

I have no idea who that will be. And I seriously doubt more than 2 of our posters know which QB gives us the best chance to win.

Who do I want to start? See above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
you've got an excuse for everything don't you?

none of that is entirely true. Brown transferred... 7 guys transferred from that team, they likely got beat out in the summer too... right?

the backup QB (behind Brown) McDonald, did not win the starting job until the first game... it had nothing to do with "summer". Let's see.... he could not beat out Brown one season, but the next season he's the stud... OMG. Alert the Hawaii coach!!!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...daaa5b2a57f_story.html?utm_term=.b3630df8e0a9

Brown was the team captain and starter, he transferred for personal and family reasons. The Hawaii coach had to change the entire offense in the off-season for the 2nd string QB.

He transferred in the summer because he was trying to compete coursework to GRADUATE, as a Junior. (with 2 years left).

2017 (Junior): Recipient of the Coach Tom Kaulukukui Offensive Captain Award…named one of four team captains prior to the season…started all 12 games at quarterback…one of four players on offense to start every game of the season...finished the year with 2,785 yards passing with 18 touchdowns and eight interceptions…averaged 232.1 yards per game, while completing 61.7 percent of his passes…ranked third in the Mountain West in passing yards per game and in total offense (232.7 ypg)

Brown’s return to the mainland was brought about in part because of his desire to be a little closer to family as he wraps up his football career in college.

“This decision has nothing to do with football,” Brown told the Star Advertiser. “My family comes before this game.”
Shit, those are Hiesman numbers. His replacement did better in all aspects of the passing game.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Shit, those are Hiesman numbers. His replacement did better in all aspects of the passing game.
so.... the point was his replacement COULD NOT BEAT HIM OUT THE PRIOR YEAR, and only started AFTER Brown transferred.

AND.... (try to follow along here)

The HC CHANGED THE ENTIRE OFFENSE to run-n-shoot - hence - no comparison except his "replacement" couldn't beat him out.

for crying out loud... this stuff is not that difficult... read the article.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
My guess is Brown came back as Sanders may not have the maturity to lead the team despite better athletic ability. Brown starts OOC games and Sanders gets some reps in third or fourth quarter. If Brown gets the job done, Sanders continues to learn as back up. If Brown stinks it up, then Sanders gets his shot. Sanders sounds like another Bobby Reid with superior athletic ability, but may be injury prone and not a team leader.

I can see Sanders transferring if he doesn’t become starter this year, especially with QB from California this year and next year coming in.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I'm still waiting for cowboyorange to come up with those sources for the new OC saying brown had practically won the job.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
so.... the point was his replacement COULD NOT BEAT HIM OUT THE PRIOR YEAR, and only started AFTER Brown transferred.

The HC CHANGED THE ENTIRE OFFENSE to run-n-shoot - hence - no comparison except his "replacement" couldn't beat him out.

Yep, he changed to a passing offense when Brown left. It shouldn’t be that hard even for simple people to figure out. Please try harder, it will benefit you and everyone else involved in this matter. Thank you for your supreme effort.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.

OMG, you can't possibly be that ....no wait, yes you can. BROWN WAS NEVER RECRUITED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL, HAWAII BROUGHT HIM IN OUT OF JUCO AS A FILL IN UNTIL THEY COULD GET A DECENT QB ON CAMPUS, MCDONALD WAS A TRUE FRESHMAN BROWN'S LAST YEAR THERE, HE THEN STEPPED IN AS A TRUE SOPHOMORE AND LIT IT UP. BROWN WENT 3-9 WITH 1 CONFERENCE WIN, MCDONALD WENT 8-6 WITH 5 CONFERENCE WINS AND A BOWL APPEARANCE BEHIND THE SAME O-LINE.

I hope my over use of capital letters somehow got this information through your dense skull, but I highly doubt it.

But you keep on trying Californistan, it's highly entertaining.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
My guess is Brown came back as Sanders may not have the maturity to lead the team despite better athletic ability. Brown starts OOC games and Sanders gets some reps in third or fourth quarter. If Brown gets the job done, Sanders continues to learn as back up. If Brown stinks it up, then Sanders gets his shot. Sanders sounds like another Bobby Reid with superior athletic ability, but may be injury prone and not a team leader.

I can see Sanders transferring if he doesn’t become starter this year, especially with QB from California this year and next year coming in.
I’m not trying to attack you, but I don’t believe there is evidence to support any of your claims.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN

Or he's 22 years old and is cool with being a back up quarterback in college. Or he has a girlfriend here he is crazy about and has no interest in going to Colorado State or wherever to guarantee a starting nod. Maybe he regrets transferring out of Hawaii and told himself he has to gut this one out no matter what.

At the end of the day it's a bunch of kids we are taking about. It's unlikely there are many ulterior motives at play here.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

Or he's 22 years old and is cool with being a back up quarterback in college. Or he has a girlfriend here he is crazy about and has no interest in going to Colorado State or wherever to guarantee a starting nod. Maybe he regrets transferring out of Hawaii and told himself he has to gut this one out no matter what.

At the end of the day it's a bunch of kids we are taking about. It's unlikely there are many ulterior motives at play here.
One twisted knee and Browns the starter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma

Brown came back to complete his Masters degree. Nothing more than that.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Yep, he changed to a passing offense when Brown left. It shouldn’t be that hard even for simple people to figure out. Please try harder, it will benefit you and everyone else involved in this matter. Thank you for your supreme effort.
actually, they were a prolific passing offense with Brown being high on the Hawaii all-time passing stats in only a couple of seasons.... they changed to a run-and-shoot.

apparently you are less than simple? awe.. you'll figure it out eventually, or not.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
OMG, you can't possibly be that ....no wait, yes you can. BROWN WAS NEVER RECRUITED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL, HAWAII BROUGHT HIM IN OUT OF JUCO AS A FILL IN UNTIL THEY COULD GET A DECENT QB ON CAMPUS, MCDONALD WAS A TRUE FRESHMAN BROWN'S LAST YEAR THERE, HE THEN STEPPED IN AS A TRUE SOPHOMORE AND LIT IT UP. BROWN WENT 3-9 WITH 1 CONFERENCE WIN, MCDONALD WENT 8-6 WITH 5 CONFERENCE WINS AND A BOWL APPEARANCE BEHIND THE SAME O-LINE.

I hope my over use of capital letters somehow got this information through your dense skull, but I highly doubt it.

But you keep on trying Californistan, it's highly entertaining.
you just made all of that up, didn't you. You didn't even read the article, did you.

and, BTW.... capital letters does not make a statement true... just saying. I'm not giving my opinion, I am listing articles and actual facts. Sorry they don't align with this fiction story that you want to believe so you can prop up Sanders for the job.

with a new offense and questions at starting quarterback that weren’t answered until Cole McDonald won the job during the 43-34 victory at Colorado State to begin the season.

McDonald played sparingly last season as a redshirt freshman behind two-year starter Dru Brown, completing 5 of 9 passes for 22 yards. But Brown was one of seven players who left the program as graduate transfers (he’s now at Oklahoma State), leaving the quarterback job wide open, even as the team was learning the run-and-shoot.

Mar 31, 2011
We will primarily see whichever one gives OSU the best chance to win, same as last year.

That being said, Princeton had multiple QBs throw passes in nearly every game, and some formations had multiple QBs on the field at the same time. They had their main QB, who was also their leading rusher. Whichever QB fits that narrative the best will be the "main QB" but I think two or three will see the field extensively, even if they're not filling the stat sheet.

Screenshot_20190625-065823.png

If I had to guess, I'd guess Dru Brown gets a chance to prove himself.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
actually, they were a prolific passing offense with Brown being high on the Hawaii all-time passing stats in only a couple of seasons.... they changed to a run-and-shoot.

apparently you are less than simple? awe.. you'll figure it out eventually, or not.
2700 yards is prolific? Drop the shovel you have dug deep enough.