1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Why waste your vote?

Discussion in 'World News & Politics' started by snow1868, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Quizzah

Quizzah Wrangler A/V Subscriber

One extremely simple answer. Mail-in ballots! A lot were mailed in before he even dropped out.

2. Donnyboy

Donnyboy Speaks the language A/V Subscriber

I don't understand why he is making a fuss out of this.....all he is doing is making the party look bad.

3. kaje

kaje Let's Go Heat! A/V Subscriber

?

4. Donnyboy

Donnyboy Speaks the language A/V Subscriber

I was in the wrong thread.....

5. TheOSUDude

TheOSUDude Sheriff

Ohh I didn't read it correctly...I didn't realize he actually dropped out. I thought that just meant he was accepting his role as...how do I describe this...a non-threat. The Democratic race is obviously down to Hilary and Obama. Any votes for Edwards are basically wasted votes anyway, even if he did stay in.

Best explanation I can think of for still voting him are possibly Absentee Ballots and Mail-In Ballots mailed in before he officially dropped out.

6. brianwr

brianwr Cleared direct Dikas A/V Subscriber

That's still not the point. You don't vote for someone just because they have a chance to be elected, you vote for you think is the best person for the job.

The bolded part of your statement is false. Whomever receives the most electoral college votes, regardless of whether they actually campaigned for office is the elected president.

7. GoPokes82

GoPokes82 Sheriff

Are you seriously upset about this? God forbid that people vote for who they want to vote for. I guess you must consider your ballot to be a betting slip. "Let's see, Clinton has 3 to 1, Obama 6 to 1. I'm going with Clinton." Or, if you are a Republican; "Thompson 5,000,000 to 1 and McCain 2 to 1. I'm going with McCain."

That is how it should be.

Will your opinion be heard? Last I checked, the popular vote doesn't vote the President into office. Who is that done by? Other politicians.

Those politicians see what their district voted, and then THEY DECIDE on who to vote for. We have no control over who they vote for.

As far as USA being a Democracy, not so much. The United States are more of a republic. Just say the Pledge of Allegiance.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

8. boonin2theBCS

boonin2theBCS Wrangler

Anyone voting for Paul or Edwards or Gravel or Thompson is wasting a vote on a person who absolutely will not be elected. Mail-in or absentee may constitute much of where some of these also-rans will get their votes, but what is going to be more striking than anything is, democratically, who will be pledged those Edwards (or whatever blowhard you want to write in) delegates by convention time in late summer?

You guys bagging on the original poster have really misunderstood where's he's coming from, IMO. I take time to actually lurk and I end up posting over here. I feel filthy. :rolleyes:

9. snow1868

snow1868 Deputy

Well someone gets it.

10. Slugger926

Slugger926 Territorial Marshal

I understand what you are trying to say, but there is a bigger picture here.;)

No, those votes are not wasted. :eek: Those votes will send a message to the canidates left in November that those votes still need to be earned, and the messages by Paul, Edwards, Gravel, Keyes, or Thompson are important.

The only wasted votes are those that are never cast.:mad:

I will not vote for someone just because they will win, but I will vote for someone who best fits who I want in office.:D

11. brianwr

brianwr Cleared direct Dikas A/V Subscriber

Truth.