1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Will Mr. Heaney be back for a Curtain Call ?

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by okiest86, Jul 12, 2012.

1. okiest86

okiest86 Cowboy

The Marlins have informed first round draft choice Andrew Heaney that they won't sign him, Jim Callis of Baseball America reports (Twitterlinks). The Marlins have yet to offer close to the recommended bonus of $2.8MM, Callis adds. The Marlins offered just $2.6MM and won’t sign Heaney, Juan C. Rodriguez of the Sun Sentinel reports.
    The Marlins selected the Oklahoma State left-hander with the ninth overall pick in last month's draft. The sides have until tomorrow at 4pm CDT to agree to terms. Heaney entered the draft as the best college southpaw available, according to Baseball America. He's presently one of six unsigned first round selections. However, Callis can't see the Marlins walking away from such a high pick.
  2. PlatypusJojo

A/V Subscriber PlatypusJojo Mysterious as the dark side of the moon

Why would they draft him if they aren't going to sign him?
  3. BeatOU

Staff A/V Subscriber BeatOU GGBTW

This is just Marlins playing hardball, isn't it?. I suspect they'll get a deal signed.
  4. PC_cowboy33

A/V Subscriber PC_cowboy33 Orange ruler guy

I'm hoping it's just the Marlins being the Marlins for selfish reasons. Drew deserves the $2.8M.
  5. PlatypusJojo

I would assume so. It just sounded idiotic.
  6. StratKat

StratKat Cowboy

I didn't think he could come back for a curtain call if he has an agent or has negotiated with a pro team. Is that not correct?
  7. PC_cowboy33

He's got an "advisor" right now - which is probably just an unsigned agent or lawyer though I'm not sure. If he doesn't sign with the Marlins his choices are independent league or coming back to school. We've had two juniors return for their senior year the last two seasons in Duren and Ginther...both hurt their draft stock (Duren went undrafted after graduating). Wish the Marlins would give Drew slot money, he deserves it. Hopefully if he were to come back to school he would be drafted as high as he deserves...but he wouldn't be getting a $2.6M offer.
    PlatypusJojo and BeatOU like this.
  8. okiest86

okiest86 Cowboy

Part of it might have to do with how much Slot money the Marlins have left. MLB budgets what each team can spend to sign draft picks. If Miami overpaid their later round picks they might have forced themselves into this position. Just a theory, nothing concrete. I would sure hope they come around and take care of the kid. If not, would love to see him back here next year. Maybe he could become a Top 3 pick next year.
  9. PlatypusJojo

For obviously selfish reasons I hope he decides to come back.
    okiest86 and Anaranjado like this.
  10. okiest86

okiest86 Cowboy

I don't think the Marlins are the Smartest saw in the Toolbox sometime. I could see them refusing to budge and take a replacement at the end of the 1st round next year.
  11. PC_cowboy33

They overpaid their 3rd round pick. But they have plenty enough to pay him the $2.8 before losing a pick. They also overpaid that 3rd round pick early in the process...kind of a slap in the face to Heaney if you ask me.

Marlins - We're going to sign the 3rd round guy for a ton of extra money...Who can we skimp on? Oh hell, how about our #9 pick....yeah good idea.
    Heaney - I'm willing to sign for less than slot money...just don't try to screw me over.

2 days before deadline -
    Marlins - We can offer 92.8% of slot.
    Heaney - most guys are signing for 96% of slot...
    Marlins - click.

I'm guessing they tried to stick it to Heaney early on in the process. This is a case of the Marlins being the Marlins.

They have signed so many highly recruited guys we've signed in recent years, I'm ready for them to screw this one up for us. I still want Drew to make his money though.
  12. PCpoke83

A/V Subscriber PCpoke83 Master of Puppets

Miami's initial offers were very low. They have been trying to under-sign him from the beginning.
  13. PCpoke83

A/V Subscriber PCpoke83 Master of Puppets

The 3rd rounder is still unsigned at this point. I'm sure they are negotiating with both trying to find some middle ground to get them both signed.
  14. justdoitpokes88

justdoitpokes88 Deputy

Interesting tidbit:

Jeffrey Loria, current owner of the Marlins, used to own our formerly named OKC 89'ers!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Loria

I worked for the 89'ers in 1993, the last year he owned the team. He sure has upgraded from good 'ol All-Sports Stadium!
  15. Redhawk

A/V Subscriber Redhawk Alright, Alright, Alright

Personally, I'd rather see him pitch at Stillwater for another year. Professionally, he'd be better off signing with another team most likely. I can't see his stock improving much more than where it's at now.
  16. OSU79

A/V Subscriber OSU79 Wrangler

I'd love to have him back, and I'm sure it's the Marlins being the Marlins, but he'd be nuts to turn down $2.6 when he's asking for $2.8. The odds of moving up in the draft are very slim (though he might take the risk just to be dealing with anyone but the Marlins next year).
  17. PC_cowboy33

They low balled him from the start (really insultingly low)...I don't blame him for turning down $2.6M now...if they would have offered that the day after the draft I bet he would have signed. In the end I bet the Marlins bump their offer one last time and he takes it.
  18. osu_cowboy_007

osu_cowboy_007 Cowboy

19. Chris H.

Staff Chris H. Systems Administrator

I'm not convinced that this is an upgrade:

[​IMG]
  20. piston1336

piston1336 Cowboy

Good for Heaney. It sucks he got low balled from one of the worst franchises in baseball, but he couldn't do much to improve his draft stock. In the grand scheme of things, $200,000 wasn't worth the risk.

Now the only thing to do is make the big leagues, put together a great first six years and stick it to them in free agency while calling Loria a cheapskate on the way out the door.