Wrestling Recruiting and Lineups Moving Forward

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I guess I want to actually respond here... Again I know you're much closer than I am, but I post stuff here because I like to...

Let's pump the brakes a little here.

Getting one of Ferrari/Amos is far from a certainty.
I think that most of the experts out there would be pretty surprised if we didn't get at least one of them. Ohio State is out of scholarships for this cycle. They have to be. So Amos would have to REALLY want to go there and he would have to fight extra hard for a spot on the team because they are loaded with true freshmen from 184-hwt... Penn State is stacked, of course, but they typically get who they want. Can't blame a kid for wanting that. I suppose Va Tech is a threat for Amos... But really it's us or Rutgers for Ferrari and I'm convinced he's going to Rutgers. So once that announcement happens the press will be on for Amos and with that I think we get him.

Haas is probably the only lock for 2021.
I would hope so.

I don't believe OSU is even pursuing Williams, and wouldn't call Blankenship a lock. Good chance on Blankenship, but long way from a lock.
I'm going to assume every Oklahoma kid that we want is a lock until he actually signs somewhere else. If we aren't talking to a top 10 prospect from a weight that is in OK, there's a reason and I'm cool with that.

The staff has a good relationship with Voinovich, but expecting a commitment soon is probably a bit overzealous. He's from central Ohio and let's face it, Ohio State is going to have a shot.
Ohio State has to be low on scholarships at this point. Dean Heil and Anthony Collica still came to Stillwater... So it's not impossible.

Van Ness has agreed to a visit, but will be getting offers from everyone.
Well sure but that's the case with any too recruit... If he's taking a visit and has friends coming here then we have a chance and that's not a bad place to be in.

Mastro looks promising as long as OSU can hang on to his brother.
Well losing the older Mastro would be quite the disaster for the whole 2020 class.

Did you mean "Carter Young" at 149? He's probably the closest to a lock for 2021 besides Haas and I'd put Mastro third on that list.
That is who I meant.

Just an FYI, but some of the guys on the list of people you have OSU as "Actively recruiting/expecting commitments" they haven't even talked to.
I worded it poorly. I should've disclaimed that these are guys I think we are actively pursuing and wouldn't be shocked to see commit. Sorry if I ruffled feathers.

Dec 21, 2008
Carter has been a technical wizard for years but IMO looks rather lean and not very strong. I could be wrong and he is still developing but is he big enough to compete? Reece looks like a thick strong 130/140ish guy.

Loving the momentum we have gained. Need to get that swagger back. Use to be fun going to Nationals and getting stared at because we use to kick ass. Man a decade plus seems like a loooong time in our dynasty sport

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
I guess I want to actually respond here... Again I know you're much closer than I am, but I post stuff here because I like to...

I think that most of the experts out there would be pretty surprised if we didn't get at least one of them. Ohio State is out of scholarships for this cycle. They have to be. So Amos would have to REALLY want to go there and he would have to fight extra hard for a spot on the team because they are loaded with true freshmen from 184-hwt... Penn State is stacked, of course, but they typically get who they want. Can't blame a kid for wanting that. I suppose Va Tech is a threat for Amos... But really it's us or Rutgers for Ferrari and I'm convinced he's going to Rutgers. So once that announcement happens the press will be on for Amos and with that I think we get him.

I would hope so.

I'm going to assume every Oklahoma kid that we want is a lock until he actually signs somewhere else. If we aren't talking to a top 10 prospect from a weight that is in OK, there's a reason and I'm cool with that.

Ohio State has to be low on scholarships at this point. Dean Heil and Anthony Collica still came to Stillwater... So it's not impossible.

Well sure but that's the case with any too recruit... If he's taking a visit and has friends coming here then we have a chance and that's not a bad place to be in.

Well losing the older Mastro would be quite the disaster for the whole 2020 class.

That is who I meant.

I worded it poorly. I should've disclaimed that these are guys I think we are actively pursuing and wouldn't be shocked to see commit. Sorry if I ruffled feathers.
No ruffled feathers here.

Just wanting to temper some of the expectations you might be creating for yourself and even for others by saying you expect all these guys to "commit quickly" and that are "locks"

Future's definitely bright, but the wording of some of your expectations paints a picture that's just not it.

Jun 14, 2011
Good grief, guys. I am sick and tired of these well thought out, reasonable posts and subsequent responses in all the wrestling posts.

But seriously, thank you Seth and CTeam for your input. Us more casual followers appreciate the insight and opinions (albeit, more informed/educated opinions) when we can get them.

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012

I would hope so.

That is who I meant.

To sort of answer some possible concerns here are a few things.

I have no specific insight on Ferrari, but pretty much the entire world says he's down to OSU and Rutgers. Who knows what he'll pick? You've said your certain he's decided on Rutgers though.

OSU has a good shot at Amos IMO, but just as he's close with the kids coming to OSU, he's also close with a bunch of Ohio State kids. And his family's a lot closer to there. He's also close with Jon Reader at Wisconsin, IMO they're ones to also be worried about when it comes to Amos.

That said, if you're adamant that Ferrari isn't going to OSU, and Amos still has plenty of suitors, I'd hardly call "one of the Ferrari / Amos duo a lock to come to OSU."

It's not that OSU isn't yet or isn't going to recruit Williams, but they literally can't even contact him yet. It's against NCAA rules. I'm sure they eventually will, but he's not even a HS sophomore, so they can't until next year, outside of at the RTC, which I've not seen him around much. Doesn't mean he can't or won't end up at OSU, but a "lock" is probably not an accurate description.

I would add this with Williams. Most have him projected around the same size as Voinovich and older Mastro, so even though he is a local kid, if OSU lands both of them as you're projecting, there's pretty much no way they're going to get Williams and it's for the same reasons you're saying Ohio State won't be able to land Voinovich or Amos.

I would argue that $ and a chance to start is going to be an issue with a lot of these guys. Even in state kids.

Ex. As big a talent as Picklo is, if he's going to wind up at the same weight as Plott in college, it's hard to see OSU having the money to offer him much or him wanting to come here and fight for the job.

Doesn't mean OSU's not going to go after him, but expecting all in state kids to be locks is just not feasible. Especially with how OSU has been recruiting lately.

One bright spot with some in state kids is OSU's policy of free tuition for employees kids. Blankenship has parents employed by OSU, so scholarship money is not a concern, though Blankenship I'm told is Ivy league smart and could end up at Harvard or something, even though he and his family are OSU people.

I'm not aware of any concerns with older Mastro going anywhere else, so I'd expect his brother to come here, but lock is a tough one to project even with the older brother coming to OSU. Every kid's unique and you just never know what he'll do even with his brother coming here.

That's why I say Haas is a lock, Young is also one you could call a lock(The whole family moved to Stillwater last year for a reason) and guys like Mastro are really likely, but not a given or anything I would call a "lock".

Last edited:

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
The drudgery of real life seldom presents escape opportunities, one of the great things about this site, in particular wrestling, is that it presents that escape opportunity. I enjoy reading about the possibilities that CTeam provides and I appreciate that Seth is able to temper them somewhat.
Both make the threads worth reading, constant bitching, as is done on most other sports threads here, saps the life from those threads and many times renders them unbearable.
Well done and keep it up

Last edited:

daspree

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Feb 12, 2005
South Central (Oklahoma)
The drudgery of real life seldom presents escape opportunities, one of the great things about this site, in particular wrestling, is that it presents that escape opportunity. I enjoy reading about the possibilities that CTeam provides and I appreciate that Seth is able to temper them somewhat.

We’ll done and keep it up
Exactly!

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
Both make the threads worth reading, constant bitching, as is done on most other sports threads here, saps the life from those threads and many times renders them unbearable.
Well done and keep it up
@CTeamPoke is a very knowledgeable guy when it comes to wrestling and I genuinely appreciate his input and feedback on all things on the sport.

He's not wrong in expecting most of those guys he mentioned to come to OSU. Many of them likely will. I just wanted to point out that even with all the momentum OSU currently has in recruiting, they're not going to be able to get all of them. With 9.9 scholarships in the sport it's nearly impossible to land 16+ blue chip recruits, no matter what you're doing.

They're going to continue to get some though and are without a doubt piecing together a group that could win NCAA titles in the future barring some unforeseen major downfall.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
@CTeamPoke

You know you now have to completely redo all of these with Brock's injury?:D
I know, I know... and you know what? I have!

2020 Lineup:

125 - Nick Piccinnini (R-Sr)
133 - Reece Witcraft (Fr)
141 - Kaden Gfeller (R-So)
149 - Boo Lewallen (R-Sr*)
157 - Wyatt Sheets (R-Jr)
165 - Travis Wittlake (R-Fr)
174 - Joe Smith (R-Sr)
184 - Anthony Montalvo (R-Fr)
197 - Dakota Geer (R-Jr)
285 - Austin Harris (R-So)

2021 Lineup (assuming medical hardship waivers for Kaid and Boo):

125 - Daton Fix (R-So)
133 - Kaid Brock (R-Sr)
141 - Kaden Gfeller (R-Jr)
149 - Boo Lewallen (R-Sr)
157 - Wyatt Sheets (R-Sr)
165 - Brevin Balmaceda (R-Fr)
174 - Travis Wittlake (R-So)
184 - Anthony Montalvo (R-So)
197 - Dakota Geer (R-So)
285 - Austin Harris (R-Jr)

2022 Lineup:

125 - Daton Fix (R-Jr)
133.- Trevor Mastrogiovanni (R-Fr)
141 - Kaden Gfeller (R-Sr)
149 - Chance McLane (R-So) / Reece Witcraft (R-So)
157 - Luke Surber (R-Fr)
165 - Brevin Balmaceda (R-So)
174 - Travis Wittlake (R-Jr)
184 - Dustin Plott (R-Fr)
197 - Braxton Amos (R-Fr)**
285 - AJ Ferrari (R-Fr)**

** This isn't based on any inside information... just pure, optimistic speculation that we will land both of these guys. Sorry to the guy that wants "real" information and not "sunshine pumping" or whatever bullshit he laid out there.

Also... Reece Witcraft wrestling as a true freshman and then not making the lineup again until potentially the 2023 championships kinda speaks to how well things are going. He would be a redshirt junior in that season. Of course, if he puts on good weight in his redshirt year and can go up to 149 effectively, I can certainly see him challenging Chance McLane for that spot.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
They're going to continue to get some though and are without a doubt piecing together a group that could win NCAA titles in the future barring some unforeseen major downfall.
Just maybe that will be enough to bring some fat cat out in the open enough for Holder to bag them for the wrestling mega donor he is hunting.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Looks like AJ Ferrari is going to be making a push to go heavyweight. Says he's walking around at 230 right now. Goal is to get up to 250 and cut down to 220 (97kg) for Olympic wrestling trials.

Dude loves lifting weights and putting on muscle... which isn't a shocker if you look at his father.

That said, if he comes to OSU and is a heavyweight for us, he has an incredibly high motor and a crazy work ethic. He's also a freak athlete and is crazy strong.

Here's a video of him housing the #3 recruit in the country that is going to Wisconsin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3xoo27Q09M

If Ferrari picks OSU, he will absolutely be a fan favorite.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Braxton Amos chose Wisconsin... best of luck to him moving forward.

This makes AJ Ferrari much more important for OSU to land. Especially if he is sill slotting at 197.

2020 class:
125 - Jackson Burks
125 - Trevor Mastrogiovanni
157 - Luke Surber
184 - Dustin Plott
197 - AJ Ferrari
HWT - Konner Doucet

2021 class:
133 - Shayne Van Ness
149 - Victor Vionovich
157 - Travis Mastrogiovanni
170 - Tate Pickolo
197 - Kyle Haas

The 2021 class is pure speculation on who we have a shot with... but if we can land all 11 of these guys, that's a full lineup of blue-chip hammers that have all won extensively on the national and international junior and cadet level.

Of course there's only 9.9 scholarships to go around... so we may miss on a guy or two because we just don't have enough money to go around. I'm sure Daton Fix and Travis Wittlake are eating at least one full scholarship... pretty sure Ferrari will require a full scholarship. Pretty sure Plott will require a pretty fat stack as well. So I guess it depends how they are with academics and if we can find money that way? It's all very complicated.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Braxton Amos chose Wisconsin... best of luck to him moving forward.

This makes AJ Ferrari much more important for OSU to land. Especially if he is sill slotting at 197.

2020 class:
125 - Jackson Burks
125 - Trevor Mastrogiovanni
157 - Luke Surber
184 - Dustin Plott
197 - AJ Ferrari
HWT - Konner Doucet

2021 class:
133 - Shayne Van Ness
149 - Victor Vionovich
157 - Travis Mastrogiovanni
170 - Tate Pickolo
197 - Kyle Haas

The 2021 class is pure speculation on who we have a shot with... but if we can land all 11 of these guys, that's a full lineup of blue-chip hammers that have all won extensively on the national and international junior and cadet level.

Of course there's only 9.9 scholarships to go around... so we may miss on a guy or two because we just don't have enough money to go around. I'm sure Daton Fix and Travis Wittlake are eating at least one full scholarship... pretty sure Ferrari will require a full scholarship. Pretty sure Plott will require a pretty fat stack as well. So I guess it depends how they are with academics and if we can find money that way? It's all very complicated.
I think you can flip the weights on Doucet and Ferrari, looks like AJ is having a lot of fun in the weight room.