Wrestling World Team Trials

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
We have four Pokes confirmed to wrestle in the Freestyle World Team Trials this Friday and Saturday.

Jordan Oliver and Dean Heil will both wrestle at 65kg, which is a pretty stacked weight in general. JO is pretty widely considered the favorite here, with Yianni D. waiting at Final X for the winner of this tournament. JO might move up to 70kg, however, where I don't know if he'd be the favorite but he's talented enough to make some noise here.

Alex Dieringer is already waiting in the finals at 79kg, where he will likely take on the winner of Mark Hall and Zahid Valencia. Valencia beat Ringer here last season to go to Final X to take on Kyle Dake. It's pretty much known at this point that Ringer had hurt his ankle in training before this last year and didn't get adequate rest, leading to Zahid pretty much crushing Ringer... I don't think that will be the same result here this year, with Ringer getting his revenge on Zahid for another shot at Dake.

Chandler Rogers is qualified for this weight in freestyle as well... but I'm not sure if he's going to go. He's for sure wrestling in the Greco tournament on Sunday though.

Derek White is also wrestling at 125kg here... I hope he shows well but we pretty much already know he doesn't match up well with Adam Coon, who is waiting in the finals, or Nick Gwizdowski, who is at Final X.

Joining Chandler at the Greco tournament are Bear Hughes and Austin Harris. Would be huge for any of these guys to make the world team.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Well today hasn't been great for the Pokes.

In the Junior Team Trials, Travis Wittlake lost his first round match. Dustin Plott is advancing though, so that would be good to get him on the world team.

In Greco, Bear Hughes and Chandler Rogers have both been knocked out of the competition... so that's that for both of them.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Well Dean lost to Zain Retherford in the championship bracket. Sorry y'all, this format is hard to keep up with sometimes.

JO is still alive and will take on Dom Demas from OU in the semifinals later today.

Derek White is also in the semifinals and will take on Tony Nelson from Minnesota.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
JO is taking on Zane Retherford tomorrow for aspot at Final X.

Ringer is taking on Zahid Valencia tomorrow for a spot in Final X.

Thomas Gilman and Darian Cruz are wrestling tomorrow for a chance to get beat by Daton Fix at Final X.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
WTT Championship round started at 11. To advance to Final X, you have to win a best of three series.

JO lost his first match to Zain Retherford 7-6. Retherford came from behind to capture the win in the last seconds. This is the first time JO has lost to Retherford.

Ringer won by tech fall, 12-1, against Valencia in his first match.

Gilman defeated Darian Cruz in their first match.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
And that will probably be about it for JO's senior career. He will probably bump up and try to make the Olympic team next year at 70kg.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Ringer tech'd Zahid again! On to Final X to take on Kyle Dake... who everybody is pretty sure has a pretty severe injury and will request a delayed wrestle off to, like, two weeks before World's. Really think Ringer has a great shot this time.

Jun 5, 2016
Dallas
And that will probably be about it for JO's senior career. He will probably bump up and try to make the Olympic team next year at 70kg.
I think 70kg goes away next year as the Olympics doesn't recognize that weight. He will probably be back at 65kg. He's not far off. Lost (2) one point battles.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I think 70kg goes away next year as the Olympics doesn't recognize that weight. He will probably be back at 65kg. He's not far off. Lost (2) one point battles.
Yeah but Yanni...

I think we have a very strong chance of having two guys at the Olympics next year in Fix and Ringer.

I also think we could see big improvement from Derek White in freestyle. And then there's Chandler in Greco. They may improve enough to be alternates but they also both have a lot of improvement to make.

Could also see Plott make a junior team next year. He was close this season going up against much older guys.

Future is just as bright for OSU and the Cowbly RTC as it is for everybody else... Unfortunately the new Big 12 deal with ESPN is going to keep us from being talked about as much.

Jun 5, 2016
Dallas
Yeah but Yanni...

I think we have a very strong chance of having two guys at the Olympics next year in Fix and Ringer.

I also think we could see big improvement from Derek White in freestyle. And then there's Chandler in Greco. They may improve enough to be alternates but they also both have a lot of improvement to make.

Could also see Plott make a junior team next year. He was close this season going up against much older guys.

Future is just as bright for OSU and the Cowbly RTC as it is for everybody else... Unfortunately the new Big 12 deal with ESPN is going to keep us from being talked about as much.
Agreed. Yanni is crazy good After beating world #1

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Agreed. Yanni is crazy good After beating world #1
I did forget about the IOC neutering wrestling as much as they did. No wonder guys like Zain and Daton are cutting down for international competition. And it really effects the lower weight classes negatively, when that's where most wrestlers sit... makes no sense. It's a shame that they're more interested in getting sports like skateboarding in, but are willing to cast aside the oldest sport in the games. NBC really should be ashamed of their coverage in 2016, but I don't think it will be much better in 2020.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Sorry for not updating this...

Kyle Dake could not wrestle at Final X and asked for a delayed wrestle off between he and Alex Dieringer. They have three months to have that match... and it will probably be in Akron or something like that. I really think Ringer has a great chance to finish this off and make the world team this year, and he will likely medal at world championships.

Daton takes on Gilman on Saturday at 6pm.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Also fun fact... OU Wrestling's Twitter account blocked me for calling them out for crapping themselves every time a win by them would benefit OSU.
Isn't that against the tos for a public Twitter account? Just kidding. Probably should be though.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
OU Wrestling should move to NCAA Division II. ;):laugh:

As I have posted before, the "new" wrestling is now Gymnastics.
Would be catastrophic for the sport if that happened. Really we need them to get better. The popularity of the sport of growing a lot in Texas and Kansas, as well as sustained growth in Oklahoma... OU being good gives kids in these states an attractive option close to home. If they see the opportunity, they will take it seriously and continue to get even better. Plus those guys go home and coach or start academies.

It's important that they're a top 10 program. They won't pass us... So it would be nice to see them at least be better than Northern Colorado.