Wuhan Coronavirus

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Haven't seen this posted here, yet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...c727f6-6dde-11ea-a3ec-70d7479d83f0_story.html

Glad some local officials in OK had the foresight to try and prepare for the virus back in February. Too bad Stitt tried to play mini-Trump and dismiss the seriousness of the virus until an uptick in cases forced him to change messaging.

As I mentioned when Stitt first strongly commented on it not being the job of the government to order businesses to close, I wonder if it will cost him at the ballot box for the dismissal and slow response to the impending crush of new cases.

Good read either way and a nice message of community leaders trying to protect their constiuants.
But no doubt, lots of Oklahomans will absolutely refuse to hold their politicians accountable for poor leadership and making bad decisions at the polls come primary day and November. Surely Stitt is forgiven for posting with kids from a packed restaurant. I shudder to think how bad things have to get before they will start thinking that they may need to do that.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
But no doubt, lots of Oklahomans will absolutely refuse to hold their politicians accountable for poor leadership and making bad decisions at the polls come primary day and November. Surely Stitt is forgiven for posting with kids from a packed restaurant. I shudder to think how bad things have to get before they will start thinking that they may need to do that.
Townie - This has been a fluid situation for all of us...the Governor in the beginning trying to make everyone comfortable and then changing with more information is actually the humanness we want from our politicians. This virus isn't our governmental authorities fault on either side...it just is...You were posting stuff about Stillwater folks having concerts despite the craziness and I loved that...One thing I like about you, despite us being opposites politically is that you are real...being real is a lost art, and you are that. People can hate you for it, but IMHO it's a wonderful thing. Problem here that we have both had is that this isn't politics it's a virus and none of us want it to be bad...at least I know you don't and I hope others aren't that evil.

Last edited:

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Townie - This has been a fluid situation for all of us...the Governor in the beginning trying to make everyone comfortable and then changing with more information is actually the humanness we want from our politicians. This virus isn't our governmental authorities fault on either side...it just is...You were posting stuff about Stillwater folks having concerts despite the craziness and I loved that...One thing I like about you, despite us being opposites politically is that you are real...being real is a lost art, and you are that. People can hate you for it, but IMHO it's a wonderful thing. Problem here that we have both had is that this isn't politics it's a virus and none of us want it to be bad...at least I know you don't and I hope others aren't that evil.
I'm starting to think Townie might be someone who I knew in school. I appreciate anyone who adds a little challenge to the right wing echo chamber here, but my problem with Townie is he disappears when challenged or even asked a question.

Where's NYC when you need him?

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
To each their own, but I literally wouldn’t step foot on an ocean cruise if they paid me. And not because I don’t like boats or cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used to want to take a cruise, but you'd have to pay me a lot of money now to get me on one of those floating cesspools.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Cuomo just trying to be political.

https://twitter.com/NiedsG/status/1243737042238013443?s=19

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I'm starting to think Townie might be someone who I knew in school. I appreciate anyone who adds a little challenge to the right wing echo chamber here, but my problem with Townie is he disappears when challenged or even asked a question.

Where's NYC when you need him?
Yeah, he's a really good guy and would be good to hear his thoughts...was glad to hear from Rx above that he's ok.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
I am so angry about this bill, holding payments to people in need hostage so they can wedge in a massive corporate bailout for the richest entities and people in the world.
The rich and powerful will always get their share, our system demands it. They control all the money and write all the bills for their benefit. They’ll receive benefits even in pandemics.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
This is interesting. Has state by state projections. Total ICU beds needed vs available. Ventilators needed. Peak dates etc.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections
It will be interesting to see how close the death projection is. Seems high to me but who knows? I also wonder statistically if an 88yo person dies with the virus, did the virus kill them or did they simply have the virus when they died?

Mar 11, 2006
This is interesting. Has state by state projections. Total ICU beds needed vs available. Ventilators needed. Peak dates etc.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections
Interesting data. Oklahoma‘s projections show lower impact on average than total US.

But big question, does this data help us estimate when we can come out of shelter in place? I think that is the BIG miss all politicians have. If we continue with shelter in place we can flatten the curve, but do we continue until we have a vaccine? Or just until we have enough supplies, beds, and ventilators? Because if not, we are just setting up for probable second wave like the Spanish Flu.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I am so angry about this bill, holding payments to people in need hostage so they can wedge in a massive corporate bailout for the richest entities and people in the world.
The rich and powerful will always get their share, our system demands it. They control all the money and write all the bills for their benefit. They’ll receive benefits even in pandemics.
Like it or not, the rich (and powerful if that’s how you want to describe them) are the force at the top of the pyramid that create jobs and keep people employed. Making sure there is an adequate amount of grease in the gears keeps the machine working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
Interesting data. Oklahoma‘s projections show lower impact on average than total US.

But big question, does this data help us estimate when we can come out of shelter in place? I think that is the BIG miss all politicians have. If we continue with shelter in place we can flatten the curve, but do we continue until we have a vaccine? Or just until we have enough supplies, beds, and ventilators? Because if not, we are just setting up for probable second wave like the Spanish Flu.
That's a really interesting "forward looking" simulator. Not quite as grim as others I've seen.