15 portals for WVU

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
We need Nolaneer to comment, but ESPN has a story that WVU lost 3 safety’s in 2 days this week. All 3 from their 2 deep.
Since January they’ve had 15 enter the Portal.

And we thought the 6-7 we lost was a big deal.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
To be fair, WVU replaced its coaching staff. We did not. And I think we had like 9. Not 6-7.
You have no point if we don't know the average across the NCAA D1 FB landscape. We've had some for sure. But most of them have been of the not important type. McClesky was one. But he was just an idiot. His transfer will do him no good.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Several of those players were reportedly asked to leave the team due to academic fraud. They have several stories about it on their message boards.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Sounds like a good cover story. I'll believe it when it hits the papers.
Why would that be a good cover story? They have a lot of fans thinking they have another North Carolina situation on their hands that is going to get them an NCAA investigation. It would be much better if these guys just up and decided to leave on their own.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Why would that be a good cover story? They have a lot of fans thinking they have another North Carolina situation on their hands that is going to get them an NCAA investigation. It would be much better if these guys just up and decided to leave on their own.
It's better than "our football program is a stinking pile of poo".

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
It's better than "our football program is a stinking pile of poo".
Ok not trying to pick a fight here but I would take a stinking pile of poo over a looming NCAA investigation that could reportedly involve up to half of the team and leave them with major sanctions and losing a lot more players to it. Stinking pile of poo can be corrected faster normally.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
We’ve had 9 since January? Name them
Not since January but we have actually had 10 dudes transfer out since last year.

John Kolar
Keondre Wudtee
JD King
Jalen McCleskey
Darrion Daniels
Patrick Macon
Arlington Hambright
Thabo Mwaniki
Za'Carrius Green
Baron Odom

Obviously only like 3, maybe 4 of these guys were actually impact guys but I'm sure that's true of the majority of WVU's transfers.

But yeah glass houses and all that.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Not since January but we have actually had 10 dudes transfer out since last year.

John Kolar
Keondre Wudtee
JD King
Jalen McCleskey
Darrion Daniels
Patrick Macon
Arlington Hambright
Thabo Mwaniki
Za'Carrius Green
Baron Odom

Obviously only like 3, maybe 4 of these guys were actually impact guys but I'm sure that's true of the majority of WVU's transfers.

I’m sure if we lost an All-Big 12 safety, another starting safety, and his backup in 3 days you’d have a different tune.

Completed different situations.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I'll say this in defense of coaches everywhere. Kids of this age can be very influenced by their peers and they can be very "grass is greener at the other university" types. If a couple of kids think they are not being treated like the future NFL all star they think they are they will jump ship in a second. When they do, it makes it easier for more to do it.

Regardless of the individual situations, this is going to be tough to manage. I think we'll see some mass exoduses eventually somewhere and it's not necessarily and indictment of the program they leave.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
Texas

John Kolar
Keondre Wudtee
JD King
Jalen McCleskey
Darrion Daniels
Patrick Macon
Arlington Hambright
Thabo Mwaniki
Za'Carrius Green
Baron Odom

Thanks for providing the list.
so King, McClesky, Daniels, Macon, Green and Mwaniki all announced last year so that makes 4 since January. A long ways from 15 that WVU lost since January. The point being that you can at least try to do some HS and JUCO recruiting for Feb '19 if you know who's gone. After that, you are stuck with looking for portal (and that's only IF you didn't sign 25 in Feb) or walk-ons.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Thanks for providing the list.
so King, McClesky, Daniels, Macon, Green and Mwaniki all announced last year so that makes 4 since January. A long ways from 15 that WVU lost since January. The point being that you can at least try to do some HS and JUCO recruiting for Feb '19 if you know who's gone. After that, you are stuck with looking for portal (and that's only IF you didn't sign 25 in Feb) or walk-ons.
You can count them toward next years 25 though so what you signed in Feb doesn't matter that much.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii

John Kolar
Keondre Wudtee
JD King
Jalen McCleskey
Darrion Daniels
Patrick Macon
Arlington Hambright
Thabo Mwaniki
Za'Carrius Green
Baron Odom

That bums me out right there. Wanted to see JD King running loose.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Ok not trying to pick a fight here but I would take a stinking pile of poo over a looming NCAA investigation that could reportedly involve up to half of the team and leave them with major sanctions and losing a lot more players to it. Stinking pile of poo can be corrected faster normally.
It's West Virginia...

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Isn’t that only true if they wait to show in August?
I actually have wondered about the cutoffs and found nothing out there to answer it for sure but I think it is anytime after the spring semester ends. Thus they can count them toward next year at this point if they add anyone. Either way they would still only miss summer workouts.

Sep 9, 2013
Marcus simms was in DH's doghouse. Didnt play OU or bowl.
Kenny robinson, 2 time all big 12 safety hurts.
none of rest matter.
neither simms or robinson wanted to leave, and coach brown had zero to do with it.
it was academics/tutor cheating issue and WVU handled it outside sports program.

WVU got a 5 star wr from FSU to replace simms, and has 3 of the top 5 safety recruits in WVU history to replace robinson and pitts. Pitts left bc he didnt think he'd start again this year.

WVU has issues, but issues are on oline. WVU has a lot talent at safety, it's just young and unproven.
this is a true rebuilding year though.
6-6 most likely. And that was case if Dh stayed too.

Brown is an ass kicker in recruiting and future is bright, but future is 2020, not 2019.