#17 Cowboys WIN!!! Pokes defeats #6 WVU 85-80 WITHOUT Cade and Ice, AA 31pts. Cowboys finish 18-7, 11-7 in Conference. Big 12 Tournament THURSDAY.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Additionally he hasn’t won a tourney game yet. This banter sounds a lot like when under pants was here and Holder was right to say no.

I’ve always like HCMB as a man. Questioned him as a coach more than once but he’s grown up as much as these players. Watching him interact with students after a win or flat out saying “we dont like ou” is first class. I hope his name is on the court someday, I want him to be that successful. But we can’t start throwing cash around yet. I hope in roughly 3 weeks we can but not yet.
Underwear was a douche and hindsight being 20/20 I'm completely fine with how this played out.

But considering his track record at SFA and how he has turned Illinois around, getting into a situation where he walked was a mistake. If I remember right we were completely caught off guard so it might not have been a mistake Holder reasonably could have seen coming but it was still a mistake. We just got really lucky that he had a random assistant on staff that aced the interview and is living up to expectations now that he's finally had a chance to recruit players that are a fit for what he wants to do.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
He has a way of always inserting his foot firmly in his mouth. Its honestly impressive.
It's crazy really. It happens every year in every sport for WVU when he comes over here bragging on how great they are. WVU should really consider banning his jinxing a** from being a fan of theirs.
Or maybe they should at least just ban him from going to other message boards.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Mar 7, 2020
Oklahoma City
I wasn't really sure how this one would go coming in...No Cade or Ice and a quick turnaround (not to mention 3rd game this week). The Cowboys went and beat the #6 team on their floor in March. What a win!!

Avery Anderson stepped up and had a fantastic game. Star in the making?

Today proved to a lot of people that this team is more than just Cade Cunningham. MB is building a solid program and it's future looks very bright!

I'm very engaged in Cowboy Basketball and I haven't been this excited about our basketball program in a long time. Excited to see where the Pokes are seeded.

Dec 21, 2008
The things Coach B has provided are hope and energy. Just like a coach G in softball and Holliday in baseball energy sells and breeds excitement. 3wks ago we looked like we would finish #8 and praying to get to .500. Now we are 11-7 in conference which is insane without Ice. Having this close knit core group of unselfish players is fun to watch and a testament to the coaches. Coach B has walked through hot coals his first few years. I couldn’t be more ecstatic for this success for him! He doesn’t use politics either but he damn sure can be a huge Uniter in the country by his sports platform. Sometimes it more than Ws and Ls. Being a positive ambassador for OSU and a potential leader in race equality is a huge perk also! I’m a big big fan!

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
The things Coach B has provided are hope and energy. Just like a coach G in softball and Holliday in baseball energy sells and breeds excitement. 3wks ago we looked like we would finish #8 and praying to get to .500. Now we are 11-7 in conference which is insane without Ice. Having this close knit core group of unselfish players is fun to watch and a testament to the coaches. Coach B has walked through hot coals his first few years. I couldn’t be more ecstatic for this success for him! He doesn’t use politics either but he damn sure can be a huge Uniter in the country by his sports platform. Sometimes it more than Ws and Ls. Being a positive ambassador for OSU and a potential leader in race equality is a huge perk also! I’m a big big fan!
I agree with the first half but disagree with the second. Shouldn't wade into politics at all. Already saw what it did with the T shirt "scandal" with chubba. He just needs to be a great ambassador for osu and continue to build what he is building.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
For everything that HCMB has been through in his short few years, I couldn't be happier what has transpired this season. Was a bit skeptical at first with his limited experience but he has far surpassed what I anticipated. With everything working against him, he has done what many thought a thing of the past, he brought excitement back to osu bball. So excited to see where he goes from here.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Jun 5, 2020
OKC
He needs to at least get bumped to 2.5 mil and be in the top 50. It could start at like 2.6 and then escalate quickly, but a raise and contract extension are due. He exceeded expectations and did so by developing around Cade rather than relying on Cade. This has been the most fun basketball season in a long time and the future looks bright. There will be other schools willing to pay him 3 mil per year. Just look at current salaries.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/
Irrational Exuberance.....Dude
He had a K extension. in 2018 to 2024, est for 2021 ~ 1.9M not given the Covid reductions. Can anyone pay more - yes BiG10 & SEC because of Football Contracts (K).
I agree with our late season " get it" basketball play. Early season was somewhat of a whiff.
Happy - you bet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7dPqrmDWxs

Apr 7, 2006
I'm guessing if OSU wins a couple in the tournament Boynton will get an extension, but I imagine it will have clauses around attendance and/or force majeure as financial protection for the university. Given how disrupted things have been the last couple years these contracts aren't going to be viewed the same for a while.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
If we think Boynton is the next Ford then that’s our first mistake. We can’t let that chapter in our history influence a bright future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
OH, MAN. Ford and Boynton are so night and day from each other, aren't they?

I remember suffering through the Ford years, watching disaster after disaster unfold with Ford calling the shots. Simply godawful coaching and frustrating waste of talent watching that clown coach.

Boynton has an extremely entertaining team on the court. Yes, they make some frustrating turnovers (especially Cade) with sloppy handling of the ball, but what they screw up, they make up with shear determination and hustle.

I think we can all forgive aggressive mistakes moreso than coaching mistakes with schemes and personnel. Another thing about Boynton is his ability to motivate and make adjustments.
I wish he'd give a seminar to HCMG on how to do both -- something Gundy could easily benefit from.

I really do enjoy watching this Coach Boynton led team and especially after yesterday's game -- missing two, HUGE starters and still coming away with the road win over a highly ranked WVU.

I'm pretty sure this team has done more for recruiting more Cade Cunningham type talent to oSu than anything. It's damn fine and fun basketball.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Irrational Exuberance.....Dude
He had a K extension. in 2018 to 2024, est for 2021 ~ 1.9M not given the Covid reductions. Can anyone pay more - yes BiG10 & SEC because of Football Contracts (K).
I agree with our late season " get it" basketball play. Early season was somewhat of a whiff.
Happy - you bet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7dPqrmDWxs
Leaving his contract as is keeps him outside the top 50 in coaching salaries. Someone will pay him top 25 money or close to it. Basically everyone in the top 30 makes 3 mil per year. Getting him to 2.5 mil per year only puts him tied for 44th. If you're ok losing him and having to pay more money for a decent coach, then don't give a raise and extension. It would also be seen as twice in a row that we refused to pay coaches what they're worth. Attracting another coach becomes much harder.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Tulley

Wrangler
Feb 27, 2018
IA
You absolutely have to give Boynton a good bump in pay soon. Other schools will come knocking as soon as our season ends if not before that.

I have no room to talk because just 3 or 4 weeks ago I was really skeptical. The last 3 weeks has really opened my eyes, I understand he hasn’t made the tournament and he’s makes some mistakes as a young coach but if you’re not buying stock in MB right now then you’re not paying attention.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Love whoever changed the name of the OSU basketball twitter account.
And love how Boynton is out there supporting the other sports. He was at baseball and softball today.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk