#17 Cowboys WIN!!! Pokes defeats #6 WVU 85-80 WITHOUT Cade and Ice, AA 31pts. Cowboys finish 18-7, 11-7 in Conference. Big 12 Tournament THURSDAY.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
And I would say that opens the door for him to leave. If we don’t pay him somebody else will
Thats what gets you Travis Ford contracts and Underpants walk outs.

Im old enough to remember Kentucky “coming for” Ford. They weren’t. And we got locked into a bad deal reacting.

I get the fervor but he’s got a couple more steps to take. Get to the third weekend of March and let’s start talking $$$$.
I think you can’t compare Ford and Boynton.

Ford took a senior laden team full of Sean Sutton’s recruits to the NCAA tourney as an 8 seed and won a game in his first year.

Boynton had to build from scratch after Underwood used an experienced team to leverage himself into another job. He built this team with his own recruits and they will be a higher seed than any of Ford’s teams his entire time here.

Boynton will have momentum from this year to help him recruit even more talent in the future. He also truly enjoys the recruiting process. Unlike Gundy, who obviously hates it.

If you pay him now, he will stick around for a while and you won’t have to give him a 10 year deal. Give him 5 or 6 years and pay him in the top half of Big XII coaches. That will go a long way to building some trust with him so we don’t end up with another Underwood situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
AA I love him. Chance to be great but completely different player than Tony Allen is every way. Tony is 6'4 220. AA is 6'2 and 175lbs thin but really quick athletic. Love him chance be great but weird comparison.
Tony 6'4" 213 as a Senior.
AA is 6'3" 170 as a Sophomore. He just might add a pound or two over the next two years. ;)
Both play great defense.
AA is improving a lot on creating his own shot. This also might improve over the next two years, but who knows.
Stat wise, he projects towards Tony's 15-5-3 with a couple steals. Currently 11-4-2. AA might end up as a better scorer and less on the defensive side (few were as good as Tony on defense).

I don't think it is as "weird" as you do.

Nov 17, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Tony 6'4" 213 as a Senior.
AA is 6'3" 170 as a Sophomore. He just might add a pound or two over the next two years. ;)
Both play great defense.
AA is improving a lot on creating his own shot. This also might improve over the next two years, but who knows.
Stat wise, he projects towards Tony's 15-5-3 with a couple steals. Currently 11-4-2. AA might end up as a better scorer and less on the defensive side (few were as good as Tony on defense).

I don't think it is as "weird" as you do.
A pound or two?? Do you have a calculator or an app that does subtraction, by chance? Do me a quick favor. First reset it by pressing the 'AC' key. Ok. Now type in '213', and then the minus ( - ) key. After that, punch in a 1, followed by 7, and then finally a 0. Lastly, hit the Equals key ( = ). If you did it correctly, you should now have a completely new number on the screen. Now that new number you see....assuming Avery Anderson is done growing vertically now with two more months left in his sophomore year. That number? That's how many pounds of muscle he would have to put on in just two years to end up virtually the same size as Tony Allen his senior year.
I'm not going to say that final number out loud, just in case some of you folks wanted to follow along at home, but I will say that the chances of that happening are not good. At all. Do you know how much muscle that is? Better yet.... do you know what that amount of muscle would look like on Avery's frame?

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
A pound or two?? Do you have a calculator or an app that does subtraction, by chance? Do me a quick favor. First reset it by pressing the 'AC' key. Ok. Now type in '213', and then the minus ( - ) key. After that, punch in a 1, followed by 7, and then finally a 0. Lastly, hit the Equals key ( = ). If you did it correctly, you should now have a completely new number on the screen. Now that new number you see....assuming Avery Anderson is done growing vertically now with two more months left in his sophomore year. That number? That's how many pounds of muscle he would have to put on in just two years to end up virtually the same size as Tony Allen his senior year.
I'm not going to say that final number out loud, just in case some of you folks wanted to follow along at home, but I will say that the chances of that happening are not good. At all. Do you know how much muscle that is? Better yet.... do you know what that amount of muscle would look like on Avery's frame?
So you don't think he will weigh 185-190 by his Senior season? That is what I would expect.

You think he is going to be 170lb high schooler for the rest of college?

I found it more interesting that the original comparing stats, shortened AA by an inch and added 7 lbs to Tony.

Sep 23, 2010
I find it interesting how much talk goes into MB's job status all the time. Many were leaning towards getting rid of him a few weeks ago, and now many are scurrying to get him a contract extension.

This much we know about MB. His teams do well in Non-Con typically. They stumble out of the gates in conference play, and his teams always play well down the stretch. The roster he inherited versus the roster he has now is completely different. He did a complete overhaul with athletic ability. AA for example. We had no guards that could create their own shot off the bounce like this when Boynton took over.

I have concerns with the looming NCAA stuff and what that can do to any program. Limited scholarships, postseason ban can cripple any program. That's really worrying me.

Maybe Boynton shows loyalty back to the place who gave him a chance and didn't get too worked about the lack of immediate success. Our administration gave him time to build relationships to recruit 4 year players. Our administration had patience with all the issues we had with players who were supposed to help us that never did (Weathers, Dawson, Watson).

But the NCAA stuff would be more of a reason for Boynton to bounce than contract negotiations. Boynton has felt different though as well. He convinced his players to stick through it (minus Yor). You would hope that he show mutual respect to the players who stuck with him. But Boynton is not getting necessarily a better job. He could probably qualify for an equal job. Indiana likely isn't calling him.

Sep 23, 2010
So you don't think he will weigh 185-190 by his Senior season? That is what I would expect.

You think he is going to be 170lb high schooler for the rest of college?

I found it more interesting that the original comparing stats, shortened AA by an inch and added 7 lbs to Tony.
I don't believe Tony weighed 213 as a senior. That was his listed pro weight. But neither here or there I guess. Totally different players. Tony was a wing. AA is definitely a combo guard. Totally different body types but I would say a better comparison is Victor Williams. Victor had the midrange game like AA and became a good finisher at the rim. Victor became a solid 3pt shooter. Both could hound the ball with on ball defense. Victor got it done with quickness and strength. AA gets it done with quickness and bounce. If AA becomes all-Big 12 like Victor did his senior year, we will be happy.

And we're going to end up getting more players like AA and Victor than we are Cade Cunningham, so I think Boynton needs to keep recruiting this type of player.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

Ford took a senior laden team full of Sean Sutton’s recruits to the NCAA tourney as an 8 seed and won a game in his first year.

Boynton had to build from scratch after Underwood used an experienced team to leverage himself into another job. He built this team with his own recruits and they will be a higher seed than any of Ford’s teams his entire time here.

Boynton will have momentum from this year to help him recruit even more talent in the future. He also truly enjoys the recruiting process. Unlike Gundy, who obviously hates it.

If you pay him now, he will stick around for a while and you won’t have to give him a 10 year deal. Give him 5 or 6 years and pay him in the top half of Big XII coaches. That will go a long way to building some trust with him so we don’t end up with another Underwood situation.

Why do you have to take a swipe at Gundy, in a basketball thread no less, when you could just praise Boynton? I'm very hopeful with HCMB and I think we should sign him and pay him...but Gundy has EARNED our respect over 15 plus years...I can only hope HCMB is as successful as HCMG. I see them both as very good if not great coaches...one just has been here longer and is an Alumni...the other can and hopefully will earn his due, his money and his lore as well. Perhaps its a little easier to recruit basketball when you have two ncaa titles and a deep history...football still needs to get that, but HCMG has built something we can be very proud of...can't wait for the NCAA tournament to watch Boynton's Cowboys and then for next football season with hopefully full stadiums again.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO

Why do you have to take a swipe at Gundy, in a basketball thread no less, when you could just praise Boynton? I'm very hopeful with HCMB and I think we should sign him and pay him...but Gundy has EARNED our respect over 15 plus years...I can only hope HCMB is as successful as HCMG. I see them both as very good if not great coaches...one just has been here longer and is an Alumni...the other can and hopefully will earn his due, his money and his lore as well. Perhaps its a little easier to recruit basketball when you have two ncaa titles and a deep history...football still needs to get that, but HCMG has built something we can be very proud of...can't wait for the NCAA tournament to watch Boynton's Cowboys and then for next football season with hopefully full stadiums again.
That definitely isn’t a swipe at Gundy. I appreciate what he has done for our football program. It is public knowledge that he doesn’t like the recruiting process and he has said so himself with various comments over the years.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
That definitely isn’t a swipe at Gundy. I appreciate what he has done for our football program. It is public knowledge that he doesn’t like the recruiting process and he has said so himself with various comments over the years.

Fair enough sorry I took offense, I'm sure it wasn't meant that way. But I do think he likes it...he takes a helicopter to do it sometimes...what's not to like about that?

Sep 24, 2011
Boynton has a Lamont Evans problem. He did not bring him to Stillwater but he kept him and was head coach when Evans was caught. Had Boynton not retained Evans, we might have got a hand slap from the NCAA. So Boynton may not have as many offers as some think. If he is paid a mid range salary for Big 12 coaches, I think he stays at least until this NCAA things blows over.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO

Fair enough sorry I took offense, I'm sure it wasn't meant that way. But I do think he likes it...he takes a helicopter to do it sometimes...what's not to like about that?
I can’t remember the exact wording he used, but it was something along the lines of kids changing their minds all the time and he feels like kids these days are entitled.

I think he’d rather stay at home on his ranch than have to fly around and let 18 year olds dictating his livelihood. So would i and I’d be tired of it too after 15 years, but you gotta play the game.

Boynton is an expert at that. Flying back from the Maui Invitational and going straight to Tulsa to watch the Boones play. Offering Cade as a freshman in high school before anyone else was on him.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I didn't know there was going to be math involved.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
How do we think Likekele will look in his return? Does his negative spacing on offense negate the positives of his defense, rebounding, and playmaking?

If he's 100%, he's an all-Big 12 caliber player. I just wish they had a few more games to get him integrated into the offense before the postseason. I'd hate to damage some of the positive momentum this team has built this late in the season.

That said, if anyone needs a reminder of how good Ice can be, watch these videos:

https://youtu.be/Im-R-w9ehGc

https://youtu.be/TgQISyENRws

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
How do we think Likekele will look in his return? Does his negative spacing on offense negate the positives of his defense, rebounding, and playmaking?

If he's 100%, he's an all-Big 12 caliber player. I just wish they had a few more games to get him integrated into the offense before the postseason. I'd hate to damage some of the positive momentum this team has built this late in the season.

That said, if anyone needs a reminder of how good Ice can be, watch these videos:

We have turned into a downhill drive to the basket team and when healthy that is Ices game. Ice makes such good decisions in the paint that it can only help us. Not to mention his affect on the defensive end.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby

We have turned into a downhill drive to the basket team and when healthy that is Ices game. Ice makes such good decisions in the paint that it can only help us. Not to mention his affect on the defensive end.
I like his matchup with the guards from WVU.

McBride is a good on-ball defender but Likekele is just too strong for McBride to handle. If he gets a matchup with either Sherman or McNeil, he should easily win those. Neither are particularly good at defense, and Likekele had a good game against that backcourt in the regular season.

Also, he should help OSU stay ahead in the rebounding battle with Culver.

Spacing is my primary concern. I'm interested to see how Anderson's role changes with Ice on the court.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Boynton has a Lamont Evans problem. He did not bring him to Stillwater but he kept him and was head coach when Evans was caught. Had Boynton not retained Evans, we might have got a hand slap from the NCAA. So Boynton may not have as many offers as some think. If he is paid a mid range salary for Big 12 coaches, I think he stays at least until this NCAA things blows over.
South Carolina had a Lamont Evans problem, too. Look at their punishment. Ours SHOULD be comparable after the appeal is addressed.