#2 Draft Pick!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2012
Would be huge if they can trade up and get Ivey. Watching his season highlights he reminds me of Westbrook but a better shooter. So could potential get Chet/Jabari at 2 and Ivey at 4. Would probably be the best young core in the NBA. Key is can they keep Dort through this? If so, then Presti is a wizard. If they can’t get up to 4 but can get somewhere in the 6-9 range, then Sharpe or Griffin would be great as well! Then next year you try to get your center, whether it be draft or FA. Love Griffin as a scorer, which the Thunder really need. Going to be a very fun draft night with lots of movement IMO. The future of the Thunder hinges significantly on Thursday night I feel like. Need this to be a great draft.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Latest Draft Rumors for the Thunder.

* Apparently, Holmgren wants to go to the Thunder:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ren-wants-to-be-selected-by-thunder-not-magic

* And the Thunder are interested in dealing Dort to trade up to the Kings #4 pick to get Jaden Ivey
https://pistonpowered.com/2022/06/20/thunder-detroit-pistons-2022-nba-draft/

* If the Thunder are unable to trade up, Shaedon Sharpe is hoping to be the Thunder's pick at #12.
https://www.welcometoloudcity.com/2...klahoma-city-thunder-rumors-trade-report-pick
I would love to see the Thunder pick up Holmgren and Ivey. I think they both have all-star potential.

Sharpe seems like he has as much boom or bust potential as anyone else in the draft. I wouldn't trade up to get him, but he would be a good value at #12.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
So if Sam Presti were to ask my opinion:

* Get Smith/Banchero with the #2 pick and Duren with the #12 Pick. This upgrades the PF/C positions to go with SGA, Giddey, Dort.

But,
* IF they decide to go with Holmgren with #2, then get the best available shooter (maybe trade up) with the #12 pick among Ivey/Daniels/Sharpe/Griffin. This probably pushes Giddey more into a Forward position. This upgrades the SG/C positions to go with SGA, Giddey, Dort.

So the line-ups would be either:
* SGA/Giddey/Dort/Smith or Banchero/Duren or,
* SGA/Shooter/Dort/Giddey/Holmgren.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2012
So if Sam Presti were to ask my opinion:

* Get Smith/Banchero with the #2 pick and Duren with the #12 Pick. This upgrades the PF/C positions to go with SGA, Giddey, Dort.

But,
* IF they decide to go with Holmgren with #2, then get the best available shooter (maybe trade up) with the #12 pick among Ivey/Daniels/Sharpe/Griffin. This probably pushes Giddey more into a Forward position. This upgrades the SG/C positions to go with SGA, Giddey, Dort.

So the line-ups would be either:
* SGA/Giddey/Dort/Smith or Banchero/Duren or,
* SGA/Shooter/Dort/Giddey/Holmgren.
I agree!
Chet has a very high ceiling but the weight is very concerning. I understand that in todays game it’s different but still huge risk! Thunder better do something quick to move up from 12 if they’re wanting to, a lot of teams are starting to get deals done or on the verge of completing a deal. Not much time left. I’m hoping that Orlando take Banchero and Thunder land Jabari, that’s best case scenario IMO for the 2nd pick.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
So I listed 8 guys above:

Bigs: Smith/Holmgren/Banchero/Duren
Shooters: Ivey/Daniels/Sharpe/Griffin.

I think we have the resources to make moves to come away with 2 of those guys.

Rating our draft:
A+ if we get 2 of Smith/Holmgren/Banchero/Ivey
A = Any 2 of the above 8.
B = If we end up outside of those 8 with our #12 pick.

Crossing my fingers. Don't ever recall having as much anticipation for the NBA draft as I have tonight. Keeping in mind that I had Thunder season tickets the first 11-years they have been in OKC....

Sep 6, 2012
nunya
Chet like the pick but the obvious thing will be bulk.
Dieng - We were like what the heck. Watch his film, very interesting kid at 19 yo (3 1st rounders protected)
Williams - looks at little russ -ish (speed, drive, mid range, and pass)

Pretty happy but how will this roster work? We don't have room on the roster for 3 first rounders. Will JRE or dort be traded? Will we trade for a C?

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
I was pretty frustrated with what we did...

* Both Smith and Duren were available to us at #2/#12. We didn't pick either.
* I think we traded 5 first round picks between the Denver and Knicks deals. If you wanted to trade that many first rounders, why not trade up to get Ivey?
* I agree this was a very "Presti" like draft. Meaning, long term projects not immediate help.
* I would have rather we drafted AJ Griffin instead of the Santa Clara kid. I didn't see anybody who had AJ Griffin rated behind him.

I don't know. I look at what Detroit did. They got Ivey and traded for Duren to put with Cunningham from last year. That's a core nucleus that they can build around for years to come. I think Detroit clearly "out drafted" us and put together a nice core. Their future is set.

I think the Thunder are still searching. With the picks and assets that we had this time I think we could have been much more productive in our draft. I get the feeling this coming season could be another "tank" year and that would be a real shame...

Everybody thinks Presti is some sort of draft wizard. I just don't see it myself.

(And I'm really tired of our tendency to go international. I don't think we can evaluate international talent as well as the national kids you watch play their entire college careers. I think the international players are more of a crap shoot and much less interesting to watch from a fan perspective)

I had high hopes for this draft. Time will tell, but I think it came up short.

Oct 30, 2012
I was pretty frustrated with what we did...

* Both Smith and Duren were available to us at #2/#12. We didn't pick either.
* I think we traded 5 first round picks between the Denver and Knicks deals. If you wanted to trade that many first rounders, why not trade up to get Ivey?
* I agree this was a very "Presti" like draft. Meaning, long term projects not immediate help.
* I would have rather we drafted AJ Griffin instead of the Santa Clara kid. I didn't see anybody who had AJ Griffin rated behind him.

I don't know. I look at what Detroit did. They got Ivey and traded for Duren to put with Cunningham from last year. That's a core nucleus that they can build around for years to come. I think Detroit clearly "out drafted" us and put together a nice core. Their future is set.

I think the Thunder are still searching. With the picks and assets that we had this time I think we could have been much more productive in our draft. I get the feeling this coming season could be another "tank" year and that would be a real shame...

Everybody thinks Presti is some sort of draft wizard. I just don't see it myself.

(And I'm really tired of our tendency to go international. I don't think we can evaluate international talent as well as the national kids you watch play their entire college careers. I think the international players are more of a crap shoot and much less interesting to watch from a fan perspective)

I had high hopes for this draft. Time will tell, but I think it came up short.
My gut feeling agrees with you 100%. But sure hope we’re wrong. Time will tell! If he were to be right about those 3 guys, then the Thunder will be back to what they were with Russ, KD, etc. Williams (Santa Clara) is very intriguing, over 7’ wingspan in a SG/SF frame is unreal. Rumor is the Cavs we’re going to take him right behind our 12th pick.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Agree, sure hope we're wrong...

I just would like to see us draft guys that have proven themselves on the highest level against the best players. KD played at Texas. Russell played at UCLA. Harden played at Arizona State. We built our original core from players who played at the highest level of UNITED STATES college basketball.

It feels like these days Presti thinks he so much smarter than everybody else that he can go find "diamonds" that nobody else can find. But do you really think those players come from Gonzaga, Santa Clara, or France. I mean, there's a reason those guys are going to the West Conference out of high school and not the PAC-12...

It just doesn't feel like we ever come out of a draft anymore going "wow, that guy can help us win next season" and I'm frustrated by that. How long can we ask SGA (who is a Championship type player) to play for us without the expectation of playing for a Championship? We need to care about winning NOW and it just doesn't feel like we ever prioritize that in our drafts anymore.

Oct 30, 2012
I agree! When Jabari wasn’t picked I thought surely they’re gonna pick him, he’s NBA ready now and has played against stiff competition. Another thing is how long can the not winning go on before the franchise has to worry about relocation? Have to start bringing money back in, we’re not a big enough market to last like this for much longer.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Agree, sure hope we're wrong...

I just would like to see us draft guys that have proven themselves on the highest level against the best players. KD played at Texas. Russell played at UCLA. Harden played at Arizona State. We built our original core from players who played at the highest level of UNITED STATES college basketball.

It feels like these days Presti thinks he so much smarter than everybody else that he can go find "diamonds" that nobody else can find. But do you really think those players come from Gonzaga, Santa Clara, or France. I mean, there's a reason those guys are going to the West Conference out of high school and not the PAC-12...

It just doesn't feel like we ever come out of a draft anymore going "wow, that guy can help us win next season" and I'm frustrated by that. How long can we ask SGA (who is a Championship type player) to play for us without the expectation of playing for a Championship? We need to care about winning NOW and it just doesn't feel like we ever prioritize that in our drafts anymore.
Well that works with those names but I don't think Davidson played a much lower level of competition those and it didn't seem to hamper Curry.

Sep 6, 2012
nunya
I think Dieng will be sent to the Blue to develop. We just don't have the roster spots on the thunder, without trading some players. Jamichael was a trade from the get.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
I think Dieng will be sent to the Blue to develop. We just don't have the roster spots on the thunder, without trading some players. Jamichael was a trade from the get.
Hence the problem... Why in the hell would you burn 3 first round draft picks to draft somebody for the Blue???? Yet another project? Why not let players develop in college ball! I would think you would be drafting players to help you win NOW....???

i just don't get it. Draft players that have already shown themselves to be NBA ready, not ones that you hope will grow up to be NBA ball players??? Dieng may work out great. But I can see a number of players who were available at that spot that could be on the Thunder roster next season ready to play. I doubt Dieng will be.

Vakarian74

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 2, 2010
Oklahoma City
Hence the problem... Why in the hell would you burn 3 first round draft picks to draft somebody for the Blue???? Yet another project? Why not let players develop in college ball! I would think you would be drafting players to help you win NOW....???

i just don't get it. Draft players that have already shown themselves to be NBA ready, not ones that you hope will grow up to be NBA ball players??? Dieng may work out great. But I can see a number of players who were available at that spot that could be on the Thunder roster next season ready to play. I doubt Dieng will be.
Detroit's pick was top 14 protected in 2023, 2024 and 2025 unprotected in 2026 - most likely won't convey next year but could in the 2 years after but again will most likely be out of the lottery.
Wizards pick is top 14 protected in 2023, top 12 in 2024, top 10 in 2025 and top 8 in 2025 if not conveyed by then converts to 2 seconds - mostly likely wont convey unless the wizards find someone to pair with Beal if he stays.
Denver's pick is top 14 protected in 2023, 2024 and 2025 if not convey converts to 2 seconds - probably will convey but be in the mid 20's
They essentially sent three picks that would be mid 20 draft picks for Dieng. from watching some of his film he looks like he could develop nicely. if he does Presti made a great trade if not he loses a few picks that aren't really that valuable. He still kept the thunder pick so if they still are tanking next year they will still be in on the Wembanyama sweepstakes.