2020 Cowboy Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
They will grow the Bermuda at a separate location, then over seed it in late September with a triple blend rye grass.

That's after the Bermuda has rooted and has been cut below the root.

This will happen in a location that is favorable for Bermuda growth

More than likely somewhere in Texas like the Dodgers did.

When the big equipment is off the field they will take the sod they grew at a separate location and put it in a sand base at the root level at and it will look seamless.

Professional teams re sod their fields after almost every major event.

The Cubs re sodded the week before the World Series.

If they re seed again after laying the sod they will lay down turf blankets and the seed will germinate within 5 days and will be playable a week or so after that.

The Bermuda won't need to be rooted until it gets hot enough for the rye grass to die off

By that time it will have been rooted for quite a while.
You know your grass! Do you know if the bermuda is the Latitude 36 developed at OSU? It gotta be, right?

Nov 14, 2010
You know your grass! Do you know if the bermuda is the Latitude 36 developed at OSU? It gotta be, right?
OSU has developed 3 different hybrid Bermudas that I know of.

No clue which one they will go with

My guess is that it will be a Tiff bermuda since it's going to get over seeded and doesnt need to be as cold of a weather or shadier grass

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
OSU has developed 3 different hybrid Bermudas that I know of.

No clue which one they will go with

My guess is that it will be a Tiff bermuda since it's going to get over seeded and doesnt need to be as cold of a weather or shadier grass
I hate to derail this thread, but I got to ask. Would it really be that challenging to grow grass in BPS?

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee

I thought the new "turf"/rubber dirt stuff is intended to be safer (more give) for the athletes?
Haha.

I have seen studies that go either way. I just did a quick search and it seems there is no consensus. One study even claimed that there is no benefit one way or the other.

I just like the look of a nice grass field and he way they play.

Dec 21, 2008
Ous field and Notre Dames look like a cow pasture when it rains. Looks atrocious and unsafe. Big chunks dislodge when you plant your cleat, linemen can’t grip it well & running backs lose footing all the time. With unpredictable fall weather I’d rather the field not determine the winner or results of a majority of the plays. Turf is the safer bet

Nov 14, 2010
I hate to derail this thread, but I got to ask. Would it really be that challenging to grow grass in BPS?
Being an Easy/West orientation means that it's the end zones that get robbed of the sunlight instead of the sidelines.

Like Notre Dame, we would have to use fescue as the turf of choice, because it can grow in the shade.

Fescue is what you see under trees.

Fescue is the native grass in the Chicago area though because of the temperatures.

Oklahoma is too hot to reasonably maintain a fescue surface.

They would have to cool it 10 times a day to keep it active.

Same as Bentgrass greens
You have to cool greens multiple times a day in the Summer to keep the soil temps in the the range where the bent grass can stay active.

The Riviera hybrid of Bermuda that was created by and at OSU is the best chance because it was created to withstand cooler temps and more shade, but no one really knows how it would work cut at 1/2" at Boone Pickens.

It would be a huge guess, because, how do you test it?

There is no other Boone Pickens to try it out on to see if it would work

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Being an Easy/West orientation means that it's the end zones that get robbed of the sunlight instead of the sidelines.

Like Notre Dame, we would have to use fescue as the turf of choice, because it can grow in the shade.

Fescue is the native grass in the Chicago area though because of the temperatures.

Same as Bentgrass greens
You have to cool greens multiple times a day in the Summer to keep the soil temps in the the range where the bent grass can stay active.

The Riviera hybrid of Bermuda that was created by and at OSU is the best chance because it was created to withstand cooler temps and more shade, but no one really knows how it would work cut at 1/2" at Boone Pickens.

Isn't one of the fields outside the practice facility a grass surface? Wonder what that is?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater

Same as Bentgrass greens

Aug 7, 2006
If they really wanted to, they could grow grass in BPS. They would probably need to use the grow lamps like they do in European stadiums, but it could be done. However, I'm pretty sure I've heard Gundy prefers the turf.

keystonecowboy

Loyalist & Truest
A/V Subscriber
Oct 2, 2018
Stillwater
Isn't one of the fields outside the practice facility a grass surface? Wonder what that is?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I believe I was told that grass is the latitude strain by a friend who works in "parks and rec" at OSU. The practice field is subjected to 8+ hours of full sunlight, making it much more conducive to growing Bermuda than a stadium in which over 25% of the field would experience 4 hours or less of direct sun.