2020 Cowboy Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 27, 2018
okc
I wonder why with all the money they are spending on this, I've heard nothing about a drainage system that would prevent standing water. Allie Reynolds had water sitting on their field which is why they moved the regional to OKC.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
I wonder why with all the money they are spending on this, I've heard nothing about a drainage system that would prevent standing water. Allie Reynolds had water sitting on their field which is why they moved the regional to OKC.

It’s literally on the website...... and it’s been stated on this board many times.

http://orange.okstate.com/baseball2020/

May 29, 2007
Edmond, OK
Interesting news about Vilade. KR didn’t say if he left or was removed. By all accounts Vilade is a great man and I wish him the best.
Base running was a weakness this season IMO. Gave away too many outs on the bases. WAY too many guys thrown out at 3B and home. Hopefully they can upgrade that part of the game with the new hire.

May 29, 2007
Edmond, OK
And Edoshade fescue from Ecroat is legit. If summer is too hot and dry it can die off but I just reseed in the fall. What doesn’t germinate immediately seems to come on the next spring.
I believe Patriot Bermuda grass was developed at OSU and is used on the practice fields.

Nov 14, 2010
Hopefully Josh keeps control of the offense and doesn't allow Marty anywhere close to that side of it other than coaching 3rd base.

Trading Vilade for Lee's is not a good trade off, but, like I said earlier, I have trust in Josh.

James was an elite infield coach, so if you're replacing him with a guy that is going to do nothing but defense this move makes 0 sense.

And....
If youre bringing in Lee's to have any part of our offense, that makes even less sense because he is not a good offensive coach.

Interesting move by Josh

Mar 1, 2005
Enid, Oklahoma
Hopefully Josh keeps control of the offense and doesn't allow Marty anywhere close to that side of it other than coaching 3rd base.

Trading Vilade for Lee's is not a good trade off, but, like I said earlier, I have trust in Josh.

James was an elite infield coach, so if you're replacing him with a guy that is going to do nothing but defense this move makes 0 sense.

And....
If youre bringing in Lee's to have any part of our offense, that makes even less sense because he is not a good offensive coach.

Interesting move by Josh
Listen, I’m not an insider and don’t pretend to be. But we won a Big 12 regular season title with Lees, AND he was part of TWO National Titles at Oregon State. If you think this is a downgrade, be my guest. I think the world of Vilade, but he ran us into more outs on the bases than I can count.

Apr 7, 2006
I’ve literally never heard anyone say anything negative about Lees as an assistant until I read a post above. So I’m now interested in what everyone else thinks.

Nov 14, 2010
Listen, I’m not an insider and don’t pretend to be. But we won a Big 12 regular season title with Lees, AND he was part of TWO National Titles at Oregon State. If you think this is a downgrade, be my guest. I think the world of Vilade, but he ran us into more outs on the bases than I can count.
We've also won 2 Big 12 tournament titles, made the National Semifinal, and we're 1 game away from Omaha this year with James.

We had a 2 run lead in the 8th with both of our dudes out of the pen ready.

That's not on him that we couldn't hold the lead.

That's not on anyone....
Tech is just really good and we had Jung struck just before he hit the homerun.

Otherwise it would have been our 2nd trip to Omaha with him on board.

We had a new infielder at every spot this year and he transitioned that seamlessly.

Because of the draft, he's had to deal with a new short stop and 3rd baseman for 3 consecutive years.

Every eligible starting infielder for the Cowboys in 2016 and 2017 was drafted by Major League Baseball.

Matt Croon was drafted last year, and Navigato was drafted this year.

Then.... Look at the work he did with Garcia and Funk beyond that.

In 2016 he led us to our 2nd highest Fielding percentage in school history.

James is an elite infield coach.

He is a very aggressive 3rd base coach, so there are always going to be outs that are ran in to.

But, there are also a bunch of extra bases that are taken too that go un noticed because of aggressiveness.

It goes both ways.

Marty is not as good of an infield coach as James, and he's definitely not a as good of an offensive coach.

Ask Ryan Rua how good of an offensive coach James is.

Or... Go watch his son hit who is currently playing professional baseball.

But.... I get that part of it.
Josh is an offensive guy and, more than likely, will never be able to stay out of it.

So... If you have a guy like James running the offense, then Josh is meddling in it too, then Rob is working with a handful of hitters as well, it gets confusing for the kids.

I say that to say that it would be a mistake to let Marty have anything to do with the offense the same way James didn't.

It's cleaner for the kids if Josh runs it because then they only have 1 voice.

If you think Marty is a better 3rd base coach, that just comes down to preference.

I like the aggressive style in which James coached with and the results back that up.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2006
A few thoughts:

1) Lees is considered an elite recruiter and has the results to back it up
2) Lees was an assistant at Oregon State for several years before coming to Stillwater and that’s a program that deserves a tremendous amount of respect
3) Lees won multiple national titles as an assistant at Oregon State
4) Lees tenure at OSU was a rebuilding stretch - going from the bottom of the league to going to the Supers the year he left.

Lees is a good coach. There will be few nationally that regard this as a step down.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
A few thoughts:

1) Lees is considered an elite recruiter and has the results to back it up
2) Lees was an assistant at Oregon State for several years before coming to Stillwater and that’s a program that deserves a tremendous amount of respect
3) Lees won multiple national titles as an assistant at Oregon State
4) Lees tenure at OSU was a rebuilding stretch - going from the bottom of the league to going to the Supers the year he left.

Lees is a good coach. There will be few nationally that regard this as a step down.
A few more thoughts to piggyback on yours.

5) It was widely considered a coup for Josh to get Lees in the summer of 2012. Perhaps as much or more - at the national level, at least - as landing Walton.

6) Not going to get into the who is better crap, because they've all forgotten more about baseball than any of us will ever know. But it might be worth comparing the stats before we lob out opinions that x coach is far superior to y coach. Here is the average fielding percentage for Vilade's tenure: .972. Here is the average fielding percentage for Lees' tenure: .972.

7) Same is true on offense: 6.1 runs/game average (Lees) and 5.9 (Vilade). Average OBP for Lees (.380) and for Vilade (.350).

8) And both were good recruiters. We look to have a monster class coming on campus this fall just like we did with the one Lees recruited in 2013 that made up the core of the 2016 Omaha team.

9) Josh has proven himself loyal as hell (I mean, the man came back to OSU after being fired) and isn't going to make a move like this unless he thought it was absolutely necessary and in the best interest of the program at this juncture. I'm sure there are some guys who've grown very close to Vilade who will be sorry to see him go. But every player I've spoken to at Banquets, etc. who played in those earlier years loved playing for Lees in the same way.

10) My 2 cents: We've been spoiled rotten as OSU fans these last 7 years by a great staff top to bottom and the future looks as bright as ever. I for one am just going to enjoy the heck out of it.

Rumor I’ve heard is Marty Lees returning. To those more familiar with him- what did you think changed when he left that he would bring back?
Anecdotally, I remember teams that made more consistent contact with less pop. Lower slugging percentage, but higher batting average. Less home runs, but far less strikeouts. Played more small ball (which some didn't like), but put constant pressure on defenses. Ran the bases very aggressively, but smartly as well (double steals, delayed steals, etc). Those teams were very fundamentally sound and while they didn't always score big, they usually scored consistently.

IMO, the essence of those early teams was what we saw in the inning that clinched us the Big 12 championship in 2014. Hit by pitch, sac bunt, and a tough AB that ended with a chopper up the middle that scored the walk off, title-winning run. And Lees' personality and intensity was on display as well as he nearly beat the winning run to home plate.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
2 of Washington States recruiting classes under Lee's weren't even in the top 100.

The other 2 were in the 70's and 60's.
That's far from elite, and he was in the Northwest where he has the most contacts.

In the 2013 recruiting class, Dustin Williams and Ryan Sluder were the only position players in that class that had any kind of significant contribution on the 2016 College World Series teams

The major contributors of that class were the pitchers which were recruited by Walton.

The core of that team was Donnie and JR and the pitching.

James didn't run the offense in any way shape or form at OSU so any comparisons are null and void because it had nothing to do with James.

This year Washington State finished last in their league in on base percentage, runs scored, homeruns, RBI's, walks drawn, and we're 2nd to last in stolen bases and batting average.

Like I said...
i hope he doesn't have anything to do with our offense other than coaching 3rd base.

in terms of defense...
Washington State was dead last in Fielding percentage