2020 Cowboy Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Chairman of the Board

Territorial Marshal
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
I agree with the sentiment that Vilade probably deserved better. He might be one of the best people to ever be associated with coaching OSU baseball. He was a much better coach than he got credit for as well. I legitimately thank him for his time here.

The comment that Vilade held that last 3 locker rooms together is 200% accurate. Josh isn’t always a player’s coach, but Vilade is, and he had the team’s respect. They trusted him wholly, it was part of the reason they committed to come here. His impact on the program is immeasurable.
Interesting that you say Josh isn't always a players coach...from the outside, that appears to be what he has going for him. That, even though we have some flaws (the already mentioned strikeouts), the kids never quit because they want to play for Josh. I'm not challenging your statement, just curious what you mean by that.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
Interesting that you say Josh isn't always a players coach...from the outside, that appears to be what he has going for him. That, even though we have some flaws (the already mentioned strikeouts), the kids never quit because they want to play for Josh. I'm not challenging your statement, just curious what you mean by that.
I think Josh believes in the kids and truly does support them, but he can rub some kids the wrong way. I think that was a big factor in some of the recent transfers we’ve had like Dobbs and Cash. The coach they looked up to was Vilade and not Josh. I’ve heard from many people close to players that Josh can be hard to take sometimes. I think several of the players lose a bit of the joy for playing the game.

I think a similar comparison would be Kenny and softball until he told the players this year to have fun and be themselves, they may have felt like they couldn’t have fun. Which led to break out years for many of the players once the reins were off.

As much as we love what is said publicly in press conferences, there can be a disconnect between reality and the public perception.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I think Josh believes in the kids and truly does support them, but he can rub some kids the wrong way. I think that was a big factor in some of the recent transfers we’ve had like Dobbs and Cash. The coach they looked up to was Vilade and not Josh. I’ve heard from many people close to players that Josh can be hard to take sometimes. I think several of the players lose a bit of the joy for playing the game.

I think a similar comparison would be Kenny and softball until he told the players this year to have fun and be themselves, they may have felt like they couldn’t have fun. Which led to break out years for many of the players once the reins were off.

As much as we love what is said publicly in press conferences, there can be a disconnect between reality and the public perception.
To be fair, head coaches don't get to be that all the time. There generally is an assistant that gets to be the cool guy all the time.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
To be fair, head coaches don't get to be that all the time. There generally is an assistant that gets to be the cool guy all the time.
Thank you! And yet, I have known and conversed with players from every one of Josh's teams and not one single player has said anything other than how much they love/loved playing for him. I'm sure there probably are one or two who don't fit in, but when it's one or two out of 7 rosters of 35 players, I'm saying that may have more to do with the player than the coach.

From what I've seen and gathered, he's very detail oriented and expects his players to be too. In fact, one guy who was a holdover from the Frank era said that's what was the biggest change. Josh and staff was on top of every single detail from how the guys played on the field to how they carried themselves off of it. But that's what winning programs are about. Josh himself has said that's one of the biggest lessons he took from Corbin.

Let me give an example. I once got to overhear Josh give a pretty stern (but fair) talk to the team about the importance of the small details. It was the last practice before they were headed out for an early season tournament and Josh had put the schedule for meetings, bus departures, uniform combos in their hands. And he called on two guys who'd had to miss a game their freshman season because they showed up to the bus in the wrong uniform and asked them to tell the new guys how important it was to make sure they were paying attention to the details. There was nothing condescending or humiliating about it. It was a coach equipping his older players to be leaders and his younger players to succeed. Obviously there are other interactions we're not privy to, but I came away from that one very impressed.

IMO, we should want a coach who demands excellence if we expect to be an excellent program. Guys like Van Horn and Tadlock don't strike me as guys who are soft and cuddly. And I'm sure Ward wasn't puppies and roses all the time.

The more I read about locker rooms having to be held together, etc., the more I'm convinced a change was needed.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
Some of the replies are quite lengthy and I lose interest, also losing interest due to some of the bickering, but what I am interested in.....why?

Has anything been noted as to WHY the change was made?

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond

now days you can't rub a player the wrong way or they transfer? i'm sure Gary Ward never rubbed anyone the wrong way...........

Last edited:

Cro

A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Thank you! And yet, I have known and conversed with players from every one of Josh's teams and not one single player has said anything other than how much they love/loved playing for him. I'm sure there probably are one or two who don't fit in, but when it's one or two out of 7 rosters of 35 players, I'm saying that may have more to do with the player than the coach.

From what I've seen and gathered, he's very detail oriented and expects his players to be too. In fact, one guy who was a holdover from the Frank era said that's what was the biggest change. Josh and staff was on top of every single detail from how the guys played on the field to how they carried themselves off of it. But that's what winning programs are about. Josh himself has said that's one of the biggest lessons he took from Corbin.

Let me give an example. I once got to overhear Josh give a pretty stern (but fair) talk to the team about the importance of the small details. It was the last practice before they were headed out for an early season tournament and Josh had put the schedule for meetings, bus departures, uniform combos in their hands. And he called on two guys who'd had to miss a game their freshman season because they showed up to the bus in the wrong uniform and asked them to tell the new guys how important it was to make sure they were paying attention to the details. There was nothing condescending or humiliating about it. It was a coach equipping his older players to be leaders and his younger players to succeed. Obviously there are other interactions we're not privy to, but I came away from that one very impressed.

IMO, we should want a coach who demands excellence if we expect to be an excellent program. Guys like Van Horn and Tadlock don't strike me as guys who are soft and cuddly. And I'm sure Ward wasn't puppies and roses all the time.

The more I read about locker rooms having to be held together, etc., the more I'm convinced a change was needed.
great post.........

Sep 29, 2015
Omaha
I've found this discussion very interesting and informative. As someone who follows the team very closely, but does so from a great distance with zero insider knowledge it's interesting to hear the different viewpoints of several of you who are obviously close to the program. It is pretty clear from the timeline of things (and also listening to an interview with Vilade 10 days ago and twitter activity) that this wasn't something James expected. He was recruiting for OSU as late as June 20th. It's appears to me that when Marty was let go at WSU, Josh made the decision to jump quickly on the opportunity to get Marty back here. As several have said, that is Josh's prerogative and doesn't make James a bad coach. It just seems that in Josh's mind he was more comfortable and confident in having Marty in that role.

It is unfortunate as by all accounts James is an outstanding man and did nothing to "deserve" to be fired -- other than it just seems Josh is more comfortable with Marty. My guess is the limiting of James' responsibilities the last couple years have had to do with Josh not being totally comfortable with his coaching. Whether it is right or wrong, the head coach certainly needs to have full confidence and trust in his assistants' abilities. I have found it interesting some of the negative posts about Marty. Both when he came here with Josh & Rob initially and when he left for WSU, you heard nothing but soaring praise for the job he'd done at Oregon St and the job he did here. Josh, I believe, has earned our trust to do what he thinks is in the best interest of the program and I assume Marty will do great work here. That doesn't diminish the work that James did (both baseball wise and off the field) and hopefully he'll move on to a place that is a better fit and do great things there. Thanks for the several of you who have provided quality insight from different perspectives.

Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield

What you're saying is not completely incorrect but honestly MattBob is closer to the truth and is being very tactful in his description. I'll say that it is most definently not just a handful. And it's not necessarily what happens on the field but more in the clubhouse and on a personal basis. Josh can be a great technician coaching wise but has more than a little maturing to do on the personal side. His excitement for what he perceives you can do personally can be infectious but can quickly turn to ostracizing and scorn if you fail to meet his perceptions. There is absolutely nothing wrong with tough love but some things just need to go unsaid. That comes with maturity. If as a coach, a player doesn't meet your expectations, just make a move to someone else and be secure in your decision. You don't have to humiliate the player to justify your decision. And I'll add, what you perceive as playing hard for someone can actually be a galvanizing effect for a group to protect each other. They're brothers in the dugout.

Dec 21, 2008
Are kids just more sensitive these days? In other sports if you don’t perform or miss class or make errors or wear the wrong uniform your ass goes to the bench! I can’t imagine a HC belittling a 20yo man so much that they want to transfer or can’t take it anymore, but I could be wrong? I have heard numerous kids not taking care of business or focusing at times on their responsibilities. I’ve heard Standlee didn’t take care of business in the classroom last yr, earned his way into starting & had a solid RS FR yr I thought so it does show patience & helping him mature. Just find it crazy hearing so many 2 sided stories from ppl close within

Cro

A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
maybe he's old school, like his dad and the other guy his dad worked for. maybe players are too sensitive now days. maybe he's recruiting too many snowflakes. what I do know is that we were 1 win from Omaha. players that dislike their coach and the atmosphere of a program as much as has been reported here, tend to not bounce back after the KU/Tech stretch, almost win the league, win the big 12 tourney, and then get w/in 1 win from a trip to Omaha...........

ST2

Cowboy
Jul 9, 2012
As far as Lees coming back, I saw where it's been "reported", but has the school made anything official yet? Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt it, but I haven't heard it officially?

Just wondering.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Lol! Oh board overlord, what point were you trying to make? Old school, Gary Ward, snowflake? And considering the source, I'm sure I'm not the only one that didn't get your jest. As far as preaching, how is me stating my experience any different than you? If that's preaching, I learned it from the master.

I get you have your perceptions and maybe don't want those rattled. Many on here do that's why we're having this discussion. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I'm ok with that and quite frankly couldn't care less if you agree with me. Can you handle being wrong? Have a happy 4th!
He was listing out possibilities, far fetched or not, just to say we were one game away from Omaha.

Basically, that whatever someone believes the root causes are to this supposed problem, we’re still doing pretty damn well.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
As far as Lees coming back, I saw where it's been "reported", but has the school made anything official yet? Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt it, but I haven't heard it officially?

Just wondering.
No official announcement, but it’s on Marty’s twitter and it’s my understanding he’s already hitting the recruiting trail hard.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
So, I've been mulling this over the last few days. I don't want to come across as bitter, because I most certainly am not, but I do think this is a totally valid question.

What do the Cowboys have to do in order to get a top 8 national seed?

Win the Big 12 regular season title? - did it in 2014
Win over 40 games during the regular season? - did it in 2014
Be ranked in the top 8 in a couple of the polls? - did it in 2014
Win the Big 12 Tournament? - did it in 2019
Be in the top 8 in the RPI? - did it in 2019

At this point, it almost feels like the only way to lock one up is be top 8 in the RPI, and win both the regular season and tournament conference titles. Only thing is, that hasn't been what TCU and Texas Tech have had to do over the last 6 years in order to get a top 8 national seed.

Anyway, thoughts?