2021 DC Replacement Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Have to agree usually he hires off the wall coordinators that don't work out. Hoping for a HR hire this time.
Who didn't "work out?" You mean guys like Yurcich OC at Penn State OR maybe Todd Monken OC at Georgia OR maybe you mean Dana Holgerson, head coach at Houston? Who the heck has he hired that didn't "work out," Gundy has out kicked his coverage on assistants over and over and over again.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Who didn't "work out?" You mean guys like Yurcich OC at Penn State OR maybe Todd Monken OC at Georgia OR maybe you mean Dana Holgerson, head coach at Houston? Who the heck has he hired that didn't "work out," Gundy has out kicked his coverage on assistants over and over and over again.
Gleeson wasn’t a cultural fit. And he’s not exactly lighting it up at Rutgers either. Gundy didn’t keep him long and has otherwise done well with OC hires.

Jun 16, 2008
Maryland
You get a lot of your information for OP don't you?
Well I was on deployment during that timeframe (spring 2011) and very little internet on the carrier so maybe I missed something. But I remember reading it somewhere. Just found an article that said exactly that in the title but then in text called that a joke. Could have got the thought there and not been able to read the entire article. News from headlines is always risky.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Well I was on deployment during that timeframe (spring 2011) and very little internet on the carrier so maybe I missed something. But I remember reading it somewhere. Just found an article that said exactly that in the title but then in text called that a joke. Could have got the thought there and not been able to read the entire article. News from headlines is always risky.
It was similar to what you read on here sometimes like the comments that the guy with a top ten winning percentage among power five conference teams the last 12 seasons can't coach....

Jul 9, 2004
Instead of trying to identify a candidate, I’ll try to identify what kind of candidate.

Gundy’s must haves:
-Knowles system, approach or style. However it’s described, it must be aggressive.
-no short-term coaches that will be looking to immediately move on or move up.
- knows OSUs recruiting landscape

Sounds more like a promotion from within. Don’t know if the right guy is already here or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Instead of trying to identify a candidate, I’ll try to identify what kind of candidate.

Gundy’s must haves:
-Knowles system, approach or style. However it’s described, it must be aggressive.
-no short-term coaches that will be looking to immediately move on or move up.
- knows OSUs recruiting landscape

Sounds more like a promotion from within. Don’t know if the right guy is already here or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gumby, I typically agree with you. However, if you have assistant coaches that aren't looking to be short-term and move up. I think you're hiring the wrong guys. Sarkisian became the 12th Alabama assistant in 14 years to leave for a head head coaching job. Not sure how many assistants left for other assistant jobs. Many I would guess. I get that it's a little bit apples to oranges. But I think you hire the best guy possible, be good, win and hire the next best guy possible. You look back be thankful we had guys like Holgersen, Monken, and Knowles when we did. Just my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Manny Diaz probably gets a HC job somewhere and should have not been fired by Miami.

We should get a good DC if we pay over a million. I don’t think it is good to have Knowles coach the Bowl game being he already accepted another job.

Patterson is too old.
Todd Orlando would be interesting.
I like Manny Diaz.
Orgeron is too old.
Will Muschamp is Defensuve analyst at Georgia and might be good hire.

Last edited:

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Can anyone give me a list of NCAA Division 1 head coaches that took a job as an assistant head coach in college?

Nov 22, 2020
Belton, TX
Manny Diaz probably gets a HC job somewhere and should have not been fired by Miami.

We should get a good DC if we pay over a million. I don’t think it is good to have Knowles coach the Bowl game being he already accepted another job.

Patterson is too old.
Tony Orlando would be interesting.
I like Manny Diaz.
Orgeron is too old.
Will Muschamp is Defensuve analyst at Georgia and might be good hire.
Todd Orlando? I think Tony would be too busy singing.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Have to agree usually he hires off the wall coordinators that don't work out. Hoping for a HR hire this time.
OC:
Dunn - System Promotion. Promoted to keep. Will be interesting to see how it works out.
Gleeson - Ran a successful offense at Princeton. A bit off the wall.Now OC at Rutgers.
Yurcich- Off the wall at first, but since leaving Stillwater he’s been CO-OC at tOSU, OC at UT, now OC at Penn State.
Todd Monken - Banger
Dana Holgerson - Banger
Gunter Brewer - OC by proxy
Larry Fedora- Solid coach. Left for HC job

DC
Jim Knowles - Banger
Glen Spencer - Didn’t work out but solid coach - amazing human.
Tim Beckman- Good coach left for HC job
Bill Young - Good coach
Vance Bedford not bad certainly experienced.

I think Gundy has done alright!

trippin629

Territorial Marshal
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
Hoping that now that Gundy has seen a solid D on his watch, that improves his accuracy in candidate selection. Easier to find something when you know what you are looking for.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I would also bet it's Joe Bob as he has been an excellent DL coach for a long time...Cocahed with Bill Snyder and as soon as he arrived our DL improved significantly. I think James Dickey is also a former Snyder guy, no? I would bet Joe Bob is a big part of the reason for Knowles success anyway. Hope he has the passion and personality to go with it, that would be my only questions as I do not know. In terms of analyst, I bet we do hire Gary if he wants the job as a defensive analyst...seems those might be during season jobs that can be done by persons who are partially retired and Gundy and him are Chums.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Coach Knowles may have been the very best hire that Coach Gundy has ever made. He brought his own system and he had never recruited this region before in his life. I don't want to completely reinvent the wheel and hire someone that doesn't fit our personnel, but I think it would be a mistake to limit our search to the criteria you listed above.
First, I'm guessing like many HC around the country Gundy maintains either a formal or informal list of prospects for key staff positions such as OC and DC; and as a part of that if he hasn't already, I think the first interview Gundy should make is with Knowles himself to pick his brain on who HE thinks might be a good fit.