2021 DC Replacement Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
Houston is honestly pretty tough to compete against. Especially once you look beyond the school itself (not a great school).

I'm pretty sure homes in Houston are cheaper than Stillwater (like-for-like, bc there isn't must inventory for high-income adults in Stillwater). It's definitively the most diverse city in the US, and arguably the best food city in the US as well. I get why some like it... most probably burn out after 5 years of sitting in traffic and trying all the restaurants, but that means Belk still has 2-3 years to go. Does Stillwater even have 6 good restaurants right now?

Plus Belk followed Holgy from WVU to UH, mentored and promoted him throughout his career, and just doubled his pay from $500K to $1 million. They get to compete on our level in a year. He's not leaving for $1.1 or $1.2 in Stillwater. Maybe tOSU money is hard to turn down, but we also could've (should've) just counter-offered that to Knowles.

Belk isn't happening, nor would he be worth that kind of money as an unproven commodity. Derek Mason though.. much more experienced, success in the PAC and SEC, proven recruiter... Mason is worth more. I hope they're negotiating a record contract for him.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Houston is honestly pretty tough to compete against. Especially once you look beyond the school itself (not a great school).

I'm pretty sure homes in Houston are cheaper than Stillwater (like-for-like, bc there isn't must inventory for high-income adults in Stillwater). It's definitively the most diverse city in the US, and arguably the best food city in the US as well. I get why some like it... most probably burn out after 5 years of sitting in traffic and trying all the restaurants, but that means Belk still has 2-3 years to go. Does Stillwater even have 6 good restaurants right now?

Plus Belk followed Holgy from WVU to UH, mentored and promoted him throughout his career, and just doubled his pay from $500K to $1 million. They get to compete on our level in a year. He's not leaving for $1.1 or $1.2 in Stillwater. Maybe tOSU money is hard to turn down, but we also could've (should've) just counter-offered that to Knowles.

Belk isn't happening, nor would he be worth that kind of money as an unproven commodity. Derek Mason though.. much more experienced, success in the PAC and SEC, proven recruiter... Mason is worth more. I hope they're negotiating a record contract for him.
I promise you can have a nicer house built in Stilly for $750k than in Houston.

Now, if you want to live in a nice neighborhood within 15 minutes of UH, you’ll have to spend 4x what you’d spend in Stilly for the same house.

I will say Houston is a better place to live - if you like mold, mildew and unbearable spring, summer and fall heat and humidity.

Just sayin…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

Now, if you want to live in a nice neighborhood within 15 minutes of UH, you’ll have to spend 4x what you’d spend in Stilly for the same house.

I will say Houston is a better place to live - if you like mold, mildew and unbearable summer heat and humidity.

Just sayin…

It was kinda weird to me too, first time I’ve seen someone all Gushy about that crime ridden hell hole. No offense Houston, but there are better cities in the Middle East in terms of crime stats and livability…plus they, sans Cairo, don’t have the traffic. Plus, that’s not a beach it’s mud wallow… Nope nope nope…

too strong?? Sorry Houston.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2010

Six good restaurants in Stillwater??? With all the traffic congestion in Houston it will probably take you an hour to get to most of their nicer restaurants. Stillwater is strategically located about an hour away from the states two metropolitan cities and you can probably spend as much time getting to a a nice restaurant in either Tulsa or OKC as you could driving to one in Houston. The only reason to live in Houston is because that’s where your job is.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Six good restaurants in Stillwater??? With all the traffic congestion in Houston it will probably take you an hour to get to most of their nicer restaurants. Stillwater is strategically located about an hour away from the states two metropolitan cities and you can probably spend as much time getting to a a nice restaurant in either Tulsa or OKC as you could driving to one in Houston. The only reason to live in Houston is because that’s where your job is.
You can get anywhere you need to be in Houston within 30 minute…depending on traffic

Feb 15, 2017
Texas

I will say Houston is a better place to live - if you like mold, mildew and unbearable spring, summer and fall heat and humidity.

Just sayin…

What ???? UH is in a crappy, crappy neighborhood. You'd have to combine about 10 houses together to make a $750K bundle !! That's why it is a commuter school !!!!!

And 30 min to get around Houston. No Way. Maybe at 3 AM.
Average commute time for workers in Houston is 45 min.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
We lived in Houston for 25 years, raised our family there as in 1977 I took a job there right out of college which turned into my first career. When we were a young couple, it was exciting - lots of night life, dining, concerts/entertainment, and pro/college sports. As we hit middle age, the horrible traffic, drugs and crime, trash and litter, poor city services, and high taxes began to outweigh the benefits and we were concerned about our high school age children. We moved away in in 2003.

We now live on 10 acres outside of Bryan/College Station. We go back occasionally to visit long-time friends, one adult child and family who lives there, and attend weddings and funerals. We are reminded each time why we left, as all the negatives are now worse, even in our old neighborhood which was once so nice. Other than old friends, we don't miss anything about Houston; nothing could drag us back there.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
What ???? UH is in a crappy, crappy neighborhood. You'd have to combine about 10 houses together to make a $750K bundle !! That's why it is a commuter school !!!!!

Understand Houston does not have a "nice" side of town and a "bad" side of town. There are no city zoning laws. You can be in an expensive addition, make a wrong turn and go a mile or two and be in places you shouldn't go after dark. Houston goes from good pockets to bad pockets and then back to good again as you drive. The immediate area around U of H and Texas Southern ARE bad; some areas are really bad, even dangerous. However, River Oaks - one of the most expensive additions in Houston which has old true "estates", is only 7 miles and about a 15-minute commute away from U of H. Minute Maid Park and the George Brown Convention center downtown area, very expensive real estate with million-dollar condos, are just blocks away. The University Area addition around Rice University is some VERY expensive real estate, is only about 3-4 miles away from U of H (homes in the $1-20 million range). All nice places to live, all more expensive than anything you have in Stillwater.

Alternatives would be to go South down I45 to some of the nice suburb additions there, but you are talking an hour or more commute each way in stop and go traffic. To live in a nice addition within 20 minutes or so from U of H you are literally going to spend a fortune.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Understand Houston does not have a "nice" side of town and a "bad" side of town. There are no city zoning laws. The immediate area around U of H and Texas Southern ARE bad; some areas are really bad, even dangerous. However, River Oaks - one of the most expensive additions in Houston, is only 7 miles and about a 15-minute commute away from U of H. Minute Maid Park and the George Brown Convention center downtown area, very expensive real estate with million-dollar condos, are just blocks away. The University Area addition around Rice University is some VERY expensive real estate, is only about 3-4 miles away from U of H. Both nice places to live, both more expensive than anything you have in Stillwater (homes are in the $10-20 million range).

You can be in an expensive addition, make a wrong turn and go a mile or two and be in places you shouldn't go after dark. Houston goes from good pockets to bad pockets and then back to good again as you drive.
In Tulsa, we call that Peoria.

Jan 1, 2011
tx
I assume you all must think Stillwater is close to heaven? It isn't, it is run down and the area near campus are shacks rented to students for exorbitant amounts. Greeks are slowly buying up the the areas near campus. It is a typical small midwest town, and without OSU would be in really bad shape.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Just sayin…

West University or River Oaks neighborhood, 2 of the great US neighborhoods, are both about 15 minutes from the UH campus.

trippin629

Territorial Marshal
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
Understand Houston does not have a "nice" side of town and a "bad" side of town. There are no city zoning laws. The immediate area around U of H and Texas Southern ARE bad; some areas are really bad, even dangerous. However, River Oaks - one of the most expensive additions in Houston, is only 7 miles and about a 15-minute commute away from U of H. Minute Maid Park and the George Brown Convention center downtown area, very expensive real estate with million-dollar condos, are just blocks away. The University Area addition around Rice University is some VERY expensive real estate, is only about 3-4 miles away from U of H. Both nice places to live, both more expensive than anything you have in Stillwater (homes are in the $10-20 million range).

You can be in an expensive addition, make a wrong turn and go a mile or two and be in places you shouldn't go after dark. Houston goes from good pockets to bad pockets and then back to good again as you drive.
In Tulsa, we call that Peoria.
Goes from Maple Ridge to shoot-em-up real quick, doesn't it??

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2010

Just sayin…

Don't forget the skeeters.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You can get anywhere you need to be in Houston within 30 minute…depending on traffic
This is the entire point...I don't want to live where I have to ever even say "depending on traffic." No one in Tulsa says that, and if they do, they have NEVER been to Houston. In Stillwater the word "traffic" is ONLY reserved for gameday and even then, it's NOTHING compared to Houston on a daily basis...and that's just 7 or 8 days a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.