2021 DC Replacement Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Lived in H-town for several years. Pretty nice place.................for about 5 days out of the year. The rest of the time, you're living in a damned swamp.
I lived there for 25 years and your assessment is incorrect. There are only 2 nice days per year. One in April and one in October.

There’s also not a colder place on the planet than when it’s 40 degrees in Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
I lived there for 25 years and your assessment is incorrect. There are only 2 nice days per year. One in April and one in October.

There’s also not a colder place on the planet than when it’s 40 degrees in Houston.

This made me laugh, my German coworker thought Houston was colder at 50 degrees than the entire German winter.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Understand Houston does not have a "nice" side of town and a "bad" side of town. There are no city zoning laws. You can be in an expensive addition, make a wrong turn and go a mile or two and be in places you shouldn't go after dark. Houston goes from good pockets to bad pockets and then back to good again as you drive. The immediate area around U of H and Texas Southern ARE bad; some areas are really bad, even dangerous. However, River Oaks - one of the most expensive additions in Houston which has old true "estates", is only 7 miles and about a 15-minute commute away from U of H. Minute Maid Park and the George Brown Convention center downtown area, very expensive real estate with million-dollar condos, are just blocks away. The University Area addition around Rice University is some VERY expensive real estate, is only about 3-4 miles away from U of H (homes in the $1-20 million range). All nice places to live, all more expensive than anything you have in Stillwater.

Alternatives would be to go South down I45 to some of the nice suburb additions there, but you are talking an hour or more commute each way in stop and go traffic. To live in a nice addition within 20 minutes or so from U of H you are literally going to spend a fortune.
Ya, used to live in West University so know all those areas well.

Aug 19, 2006
I'll get on this bandwagon. We lived in H-town (actually Katy) for 20+ years and don't feel a lot of love for it. Spent way too much time sitting in traffic. Usually took an hour or more to get anywhere. Lots and lots of driving.

Great sports town and a lot of good restaurants but, beyond that, not much for tourists / visitors. Always found it strange that when we had out-of-town visitors stay with us we were usually heading to Hill Country or Galveston by day 2 or 3.

trippin629

Territorial Marshal
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
Yeah, hopefully basketball can put together some decent crowds and baseball gets O'Brate rocking for a big surplus in FY22.
I plan on coming in to watch some baseball this year. O'Brate is a fantastic place to watch a ball game.
That stadium is amazing. Going to games there is the only time I've been jealous of the current students. Lucky SoB's.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jan 1, 2011
tx
Humid -we have AC everywhere, even in stadiums. no problem unless you work outdoors, crime - Houston metro population 2020, 7.15 million people. Almost 2x state of Oklahoma. Add all crime in Oklahoma and multiply x2 and you have a lot of crime as well. We who like it here could care less about your bitching about Houston. Those of you who left and bitch, don't left the door hit your behind.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Humid -we have AC everywhere, even in stadiums. no problem unless you work outdoors, crime - Houston metro population 2020, 7.15 million people. Almost 2x state of Oklahoma. Add all crime in Oklahoma and multiply x2 and you have a lot of crime as well. We who like it here could care less about your bitching about Houston. Those of you who left and bitch, don't left the door hit your behind.
If you like outdoor activities, Houston is unbearable.
If you like bugless, mildewless, and moldless indoor spaces, Houston ain’t for you.
If you don’t absolutely love constant seat-time, Houston sucks.
If you’re at all averse to flood damage, Houston may be the absolute worst.
If hurricanes aren’t your gig, move.

Otherwise, it’s AWESOME!

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
This made me laugh, my German coworker thought Houston was colder at 50 degrees than the entire German winter.
I am a Peterson with relatives in North Dakota. They have visited and agree that Houston cold is much different than North Dakota cold. It's the humidity; wet cold "feels" much colder than dry cold.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I am a Peterson with relatives in North Dakota. They have visited and agree that Houston cold is much different than North Dakota cold. It's the humidity; wet cold "feels" much colder than dry cold.
I’ve never been as cold as the 173 times I’ve set/stood outdoors in Houston for 45 degree Jan/Feb soccer games. Freakin brutal. Give me 15 degrees in BPS all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.