2022 Cowboy Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Here is Vandy schedule up until now and they have beat most teams soundly except for games with us, Hawaii, and Michigan are the only close games:

Date Loc Opponent Results Notes
Fri, Feb 18 vs Oklahoma State 3 - 0
Sat, Feb 19 vs Oklahoma State 4 - 3
Sun, Feb 20 vs Oklahoma State 7 - 5
Tue, Feb 22 vs North Alabama PPD (Weather)
Wed, Feb 23 vs Evansville 9 - 0
Fri, Feb 25 vs Army 7 - 2
Sat, Feb 26 vs Army 10 - 7
Sun, Feb 27 vs Army 6 - 0
Tue, Mar 1 vs Central Arkansas 5 - 2
Fri, Mar 4 at Hawaii 9 - 2
Sat, Mar 5 at Hawaii 12 - 1
Sat, Mar 5 at Hawaii 13 - 1
Sun, Mar 6 at Hawaii 2 - 1
Fri, Mar 11 vs Wagner 12 - 7
Fri, Mar 11 vs Wagner 13 - 0
Sun, Mar 13 vs Wagner 15 - 5
Tue, Mar 15 vs Michigan 5 - 4
Fri, Mar 18 vs Missouri 15 - 2
Sat, Mar 19 vs Missouri 6 - 0
Sun, Mar 20 vs Missouri 7 - 4

Apr 18, 2021
Edmond, OK
Fair points. And I will add that he was the one transfer that I hated to see move on. His speed tool was not something that comes along very often. The problem was, he didn't get on base often enough for it to be a difference maker.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and it's easy to second guess coaches (and I'm assuming none of us knows for sure what led to his decision to transfer or the coaches' decision to encourage him to look for greener pastures), but during his time at OSU, he had 13 ABs and struck out 8 times. Tied with Salinas for the highest strikeout clip of anyone on last year's roster with more than 10 ABs. And before we say, "well they were just freshmen," so were Marcus Brown (7 ks in 44), Justin Campbell (20 in 67), and Jaxson Crull (10 in 27).

Would he have done better at OSU with more ABs? Who knows? But I assume there's a reason - offensive approach, defense, attitude, something - the coaches went to Crull instead of Johnson later in the season when there were outfield injuries.

Again, I'm glad he's having success at KSU. And, for his sake, hope he can continue it as the competition becomes tougher.
Dom is really good player and I wish he would of continued playing at OSU. Being a draft eligible sophomore and coming off a nice cape summer probably played a huge role in Dom transferring. I will say he outperformed Trenkle last summer in the cape and is hitting the crap out the ball this season. Dom isn’t the only guy who transferred and is having great success. Blake Robertson at OU is having a very nice spring.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Dom is really good player and I wish he would of continued playing at OSU. Being a draft eligible sophomore and coming off a nice cape summer probably played a huge role in Dom transferring. I will say he outperformed Trenkle last summer in the cape and is hitting the crap out the ball this season. Dom isn’t the only guy who transferred and is having great success. Blake Robertson at OU is having a very nice spring.
Orlando Salinas is at KState too and now starting at 1B and hitting .268 with 2 HR. Not sure how he ended up at 1B as he was a rarely used 2B with OSU last year.

Change of scenery may be good for some players.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019
Edmond , Oklahoma
Dom is off to an incredible start and I am anxious to see how he does against top shelf D-1 teams pitching Since k state has played very few such teams . I do not know where he would have started , but it wouldn’t be in right field. His weakest tool is his arm. Dom can go get the ball but Trenkle is the best defensive center fielder OSU has had in awhile. Jake is going to be the left fielder, period. I hope Dom continues his great season. Dad was a very good DB for Coach Miles at OSU back in the day.

Apr 18, 2021
Edmond, OK
Dom is off to an incredible start and I am anxious to see how he does against top shelf D-1 teams pitching Since k state has played very few such teams . I do not know where he would have started , but it wouldn’t be in right field. His weakest tool is his arm. Dom can go get the ball but Trenkle is the best defensive center fielder OSU has had in awhile. Jake is going to be the left fielder, period. I hope Dom continues his great season. Dad was a very good DB for Coach Miles at OSU back in the day.
Trenkle can go get it as good as anybody in the country, but I would take Dom over over Trenkle based on his offense. The numbers that Dom is putting up this spring are incredible. I don’t care who it’s against still very impressive. I’m not sure anybody really knew what he was capable of with only 13 AB’s last year. It’s tough to find success when your only getting 1 AB every couple of weeks. I hope he continues to rake except when he plays the Pokes.

Mar 11, 2006
Interesting tidbit for the ORU game Wed and the KU series (Fri-Sun). The starting first basemen for each team are brothers, Jake and Cooper McMurray, from Bishop Kelley. Would have liked us to have offered Cooper (legit 6'4" 240). As a freshman, he already has 3 HR in only 45 at-bats.
Jake was 2nd in the Summit League last year in batting average.

Dec 9, 2013
I’ve been privileged to attend O’Brate a couple of times this season and have spent some of that time watching from virtually every vantage point. It’s really a fun afternoon at the ballpark.

I read where it’s expandable from 3,800 to 8,000.

How would they do this? Remove the pavilion areas in the outfield and first base line and bring in temporary bleachers? I can see they have space there but that is a lot of bleachers.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
I bought my Big 12 Baseball Championship tickets via the pre pass early tickets due to my history of attendance and they were only GA1. Normally in the past at these games have poor attendance and you can sit anywhere so I guess this is why they are all GA. I tried to buy season tickets for the College World Series and they all sold out in less than 30 minutes as I was in Queue for 20- minutes.

Oct 1, 2006
USA
www.yahoo.com
I’ve been privileged to attend O’Brate a couple of times this season and have spent some of that time watching from virtually every vantage point. It’s really a fun afternoon at the ballpark.

I read where it’s expandable from 3,800 to 8,000.

How would they do this? Remove the pavilion areas in the outfield and first base line and bring in temporary bleachers? I can see they have space there but that is a lot of bleachers.
I believe that 8000 number includes filling up the outfield/standing room only. We've had several games above 5000 in attendance this year. From my limited knowledge, the 3500 is just counting the actual seats in the infield and down the line in the outfield.

Aug 4, 2019
Edmond , Oklahoma
Trenkle can go get it as good as anybody in the country, but I would take Dom over over Trenkle based on his offense. The numbers that Dom is putting up this spring are incredible. I don’t care who it’s against still very impressive. I’m not sure anybody really knew what he was capable of with only 13 AB’s last year. It’s tough to find success when your only getting 1 AB every couple of weeks. I hope he continues to rake except when he plays the Pokes.
When you say "not anybody really knew", I assume you mean the fans. Apart from the 13 ABs in season (I agree is too small a sample size) , the coaches watched probably another 125 ABs in the fall and early spring scrimmages Dom's freshman year. Players can make big jumps during the off-season and it looks like that is exactly what Dom has done.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
I believe that 8000 number includes filling up the outfield/standing room only. We've had several games above 5000 in attendance this year. From my limited knowledge, the 3500 is just counting the actual seats in the infield and down the line in the outfield.
APR will hold 4000 so they will seat people there and the teams, umps, and players will be real life hologram using special mirrors, lights and camera! :).

I only went to APR stadium during regionals as I was out of town, but since I became a season ticket Holder when O’Brate opened I have met fans who were season ticket holders at APR and they liked APR betters or had positive memories at APR from the Ward era.

Apr 18, 2021
Edmond, OK
When you say "not anybody really knew", I assume you mean the fans. Apart from the 13 ABs in season (I agree is too small a sample size) , the coaches watched probably another 125 ABs in the fall and early spring scrimmages Dom's freshman year. Players can make big jumps during the off-season and it looks like that is exactly what Dom has done.
I was referring to the coaches. Fall scrimmages are one thing and live game situational baseball is another. Baseball is about repetition and when you get 1 Ab every couple of weeks it’s very tough. I can’t remember the kid we had playing second base the year we went to Omaha, but if you remember he didn’t get a chance until the 3rd week of the season. He hit extremely well and was probably the team MVP that season. Coaches are human they make mistakes like everybody else. Some kids just shine once the lights come on.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I was referring to the coaches. Fall scrimmages are one thing and live game situational baseball is another. Baseball is about repetition and when you get 1 Ab every couple of weeks it’s very tough. I can’t remember the kid we had playing second base the year we went to Omaha, but if you remember he didn’t get a chance until the 3rd week of the season. He hit extremely well and was probably the team MVP that season. Coaches are human they make mistakes like everybody else. Some kids just shine once the lights come on.
Jr Davis