Football 2022 General Recruiting thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
SMU proved what can be accomplished by big-time boosters opening up the purse strings to buy big-time recruits. For that matter, so did OSU. Hart Lee Dykes didn't end up here just because he fell in love with Stillwater.

Hopefully this doesn't get out of control and revert back to those days but the lines are getting so blurred now it almost seems inevitable. The money will just flow through contrived NIL arrangements now. Scholarship limits are about the only means of control left.
SMU appears ready to do it again with the NIL. They landed two four stars just last week even taking one away from OU.

Jan 1, 2011
tx
Perhaps some of you might possibly start thinking in this direction. I posted earlier how much money is being spent by schools for recruiting. At one point, not that long ago, OSU only spent $200,000 per year, and last place in the Big XII. They have raised it considerably in the last few years and are now in 4th or 5th place in spending. 2022 is a much improved year in recruiting as the average recruit rating, as of now, is .8818 placing OSU at 21st place nationally, in lieu of 30-40th place that we were usually placing. Improvement, I would say yes. I have noticed that our graphics/videos have improved as well. Maybe the extra money, improvement in splashy promos are helping the recruiting.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Why waste recruiting money on graphics/videos/splashy promo. Just pay them out right with those funds.

Show Me the Money !!!!
Because kids like that. Stuff like that gives them more exposure and improves their brand. Now that they can profit off their brand it's a win win. We spend money giving them stuff they can promote on tic tok and youtube and they get more subscribers which generates advertising money. So we can either do the bagman thing for scraps or give them the opportunity to make way more money through social media.

The catch is college athletes don't have a lot of free time. Between practice, training, classes, and tutoring there isn't much time left over. Watching the videos my kids are into, it's a full time job. I don't see where they will find the time to do proper video editing and provide content that attracts a wide audience

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
Concerning NIL and OSU, the only good thing is the SEC teams and blue bloods were already using bagmen paying players. So they need additional donors to increase their money flow.

I do think the SMU's of the world could also make a big leap. They have a fan base that will do anything to be relevant again.

Jun 5, 2020
OKC
Saw in the paper, yes look it up, "what is a paper" a player, DeSean Brown, we have an offer in. Think top 13 in state of OK. 247 shows warm for us. Any heads up on this guy.

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
SMU appears ready to do it again with the NIL. They landed two four stars just last week even taking one away from OU.
Unfortunately from what I'm seeing on recruiting, OU will not be hurt by this one defection. They are in another stratosphere right now in recruiting. 3rd straight 5* QB along with elite talent up and down the roster.
I know we are used to a certain disparity in recruiting against OU but I'm beginning to fear the gap is getting bigger and bigger as HCMG remains adrift in mediocreland. I've said before, he'll bring in some nice players and get the most out of them but once we take the field and see the speed and versatile athletes OU is stockpiling along with the innovative play calling of HCLR we will once again realize just how big the gap really is. Now I'm ready to get roasted for telling the truth and not living in Gundy colored sunglasses.

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
Unfortunately from what I'm seeing on recruiting, OU will not be hurt by this one defection. They are in another stratosphere right now in recruiting. 3rd straight 5* QB along with elite talent up and down the roster.
I know we are used to a certain disparity in recruiting against OU but I'm beginning to fear the gap is getting bigger and bigger as HCMG remains adrift in mediocreland. I've said before, he'll bring in some nice players and get the most out of them but once we take the field and see the speed and versatile athletes OU is stockpiling along with the innovative play calling of HCLR we will once again realize just how big the gap really is. Now I'm ready to get roasted for telling the truth and not living in Gundy colored sunglasses.
Your argument would be more relevant if we weren’t pulling in the best class we’ve had in years for 2022. There’s still a disparity between us and Ou, you’re not wrong about that. But you can’t acknowledge the paperclips recent hot streak and at the same time not give our staff the credit they deserve.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Your argument would be more relevant if we weren’t pulling in the best class we’ve had in years for 2022. There’s still a disparity between us and Ou, you’re not wrong about that. But you can’t acknowledge the paperclips recent hot streak and at the same time not give our staff the credit they deserve.
The silver lining is almost all of the top players they are pulling in are only on the offensive side. We at least seem to be pulling a lot of top players on both sides of the ball.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
The silver lining is almost all of the top players they are pulling in are only on the offensive side. We at least seem to be pulling a lot of top players on both sides of the ball.
And they can only play one QB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
I acknowledged that we would get some nice players and get the most out of them. That's exactly what I see coming in for 2022. Better, but not elite, which keeps us making the final turn while others are headed down the stretch.

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
That silver lining you talk about is not real. They are pulling in one of their best defensive classes in a decade with a few still out there that they are favored to get. We all know that we can't beat them when their defense sucks. My point is, their offense is a given, if they continue to pull in top end talent on the defensive side then the gap gets bigger between us.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
I think that our class being better may have something to do with OU’s recruiting being so good. Don’t get me wrong, I still want them to lose every game they play, but them recruiting all these players from around the country is leaving less competition for us in Oklahoma and Texas.

MAYBE there is an opportunity for us to pass them up in the future if we are a Top 10 program and Lincoln Riley goes to the NFL and they make a mistake with their next hire. I think I’d rather be a Top 10 program with OU being Top 3 than OU being Top 15 and we are recruiting how we had been before the last two years. But, not living in Oklahoma the last few years has removed me from the most terrible of the Sooner fans. So, I don’t think I really get a vote anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 31, 2008
Brilliant ! Pick one:

(0U great and OSU pretty good) or (0u pretty good and OSU average)

Which is why 2011 was soooo sweet with OSU great and 0U average. Once in a blue moon.

Nov 6, 2010
Brilliant ! Pick one:

(0U great and OSU pretty good) or (0u pretty good and OSU average)

Which is why 2011 was soooo sweet with OSU great and 0U average. Once in a blue moon.
Fu**ing Iowa State! I really have a hard time hating them, given they seem to be able to beat OU and are underdogs, but damn, did they mess up a great opportunity for us. I guess it's fitting we've been the fly in their ointment for the last couple years, but nothing makes up for 2011.

Dec 21, 2008
Most head coaches would let that sting and the next year hang 100 on them. Our HC feels like we outworked them and tried our hardest and sometimes you win some sometimes you lose. I just HATE his lack of honesty and passion!! He’s turned way too smart ass and doesn’t care about a lot of stuff. Lincoln is a million times better being a HC and constantly betters himself and his program. Gundy just wants to maintain the status quo and it’s sickening