Football 2023 General Recruiting Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Good riddance. Have fun losing to Kansas, kid.
We never know?????

With the transfer portal, He might finally be heading our way. We'll never know how politics will play out for him competing against the more heralded 5* favorite sons of Texas.

Historically, Texas did not develop well all those 3* commits they stole from us.
Sawyer Goram Welch was the recent commit they stole from us.
https://247sports.com/player/sawyer-goram-welch-46056596/

Hardly significant contribution on the D line, he will be bounce around to the OL.
https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/sawyer-goram-welch-moved-to-offensive-guard/

Cowboys 4ever

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Nov 21, 2014
Stillwater
We never know?????

With the transfer portal, He might finally be heading our way. We'll never know how politics will play out for him competing against the more heralded 5* favorite sons of Texas.

Historically, Texas did not develop well all those 3* commits they stole from us.
Sawyer Goram Welch was the recent commit they stole from us.
https://247sports.com/player/sawyer-goram-welch-46056596/

Hardly significant contribution on the D line, he will be bounce around to the OL.
https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/sawyer-goram-welch-moved-to-offensive-guard/
Derek Kersetter was a decent flip from us for them as well

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
GoPokes as a good article listing the top ranked de-commits we've had over the last few years. Kersetter and another OL that went to A&M were the big OL losses who went on to do well.
That was part of that '14/15/16 cycle where we got thin at OL and are still recovering.

RB Jones was obviously the biggest decommit, we all knew it at the time.
Miles Price went to Tech and did well but we have had plenty of good WR so don't think we missed him.

The other decommits didn't fair so well. Could be situation they were in. Could have been wrong evaluation.
Will never know.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2008
So, no one is going to comment on the new commit Jelani McDonald ?
ATH w/o a rating yet so will probably start out at mid 3* and 0.85 score.

Potentially one of Gundy's diamond-in-the-rough ?

Dec 21, 2008
So, no one is going to comment on the new commit Jelani McDonald ?
ATH w/o a rating yet so will probably start out at mid 3* and 0.85 score.

Potentially one of Gundy's diamond-in-the-rough ?
Hard to comment when a QB gets signed as a DB. Most DBs are lengthy and fast on every team so besides his electric moves not sure what else there is to dive into

Jun 12, 2007
The length of time between recruits committing this year seems to be exceptionally long this year. I don't remember it being this slow in the past. Maybe it is normal as nobody has said anything.

Oct 30, 2012
The length of time between recruits committing this year seems to be exceptionally long this year. I don't remember it being this slow in the past. Maybe it is normal as nobody has said anything.
Well if you ask Sam Mayes, it’s due to Gundy refusing to get into the NIL recruiting and that will be the fall of Ok St and the Big 12 actually.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
We don’t have many scholarship spots to give this year because we are expecting so many super seniors to return. Thus we have had to be careful with our offers more so than normal. I think we are also expecting to hold quite a few spots for transfer portal guys.

Jun 12, 2007
We don’t have many scholarship spots to give this year because we are expecting so many super seniors to return. Thus we have had to be careful with our offers more so than normal. I think we are also expecting to hold quite a few spots for transfer portal guys.
Ah...that makes me feel better. When I see Cincinnati with the 15th ranked signing class and OSU in the 50's, that is a little concerning. With McDonald getting a bump today to 4 star, that should increase our ranking a little. If what you say is correct on not signing as many as usual, that will cause the ranking to be low every time.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Ah...that makes me feel better. When I see Cincinnati with the 15th ranked signing class and OSU in the 50's, that is a little concerning. With McDonald getting a bump today to 4 star, that should increase our ranking a little. If what you say is correct on not signing as many as usual, that will cause the ranking to be low every time.
Some of the super seniors may go ahead and leave depending on how this season goes for them (like Spencer Sanders), but for now they have to hold a spot for them. However if any of them do end up leaving later we can just use that scholarship spot for a portal transfer. I would not look at any overall team rankings so much this year and definitely not look at any of them that don’t include transfers in their equation.

Jul 31, 2008
So not only is NIL and Portal the end of college football as we know it, it also skews recruiting rankings as we know it. Hard to judge a "class" when it is made up of 50% HS kids and 50% transfers.

But I never cared much for recruiting rankings anyway, but now they become even less relevant.

Oct 30, 2012
Anyone have any update/info on John Randle Jr (Joseph Randles nephew)? Seems like his recruitment has been extremely quiet and he has some very good offers.

Pokengineer

Go Pokes!
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2009
Edmond, OK
Anyone have any update/info on John Randle Jr (Joseph Randles nephew)? Seems like his recruitment has been extremely quiet and he has some very good offers.
I have zero inside info, this is all purely my opinion.

We are happy with the RB room we have right now and have zero seniors. I'm willing to bet we don't have a RB slot in this years recruiting class because of that. But the coaches typically reserve a spot for a playmaker or 2 on both sides of the ball every year and Randle fits into that category, which is why he has an offer. However that also means we probably aren't pursuing him quite as hard as other positions of need.

Once again, thats just me speculating.

Oct 30, 2012
I have zero inside info, this is all purely my opinion.

We are happy with the RB room we have right now and have zero seniors. I'm willing to bet we don't have a RB slot in this years recruiting class because of that. But the coaches typically reserve a spot for a playmaker or 2 on both sides of the ball every year and Randle fits into that category, which is why he has an offer. However that also means we probably aren't pursuing him quite as hard as other positions of need.

Once again, thats just me speculating.
Thank you. Makes sense!