50 million Facebook profiles had data harvested for election info per whistle blower

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
The founder of a British company Cambridge Analytica has come forward this weekend to blow the whistle on his own company. British, EU, and US authorities are now lunching an investigation into Facebook and Cambridge Analytica

So what happened.

In 2015 Cambridge Analytica created an external app that linked to 270,000 Facebook users profiles. They were all paid to take a personality quiz. However, this app took those 270,000 users and secretly harvested information from their Facebook profiles, and their friends, and friends of their friends etc until it had harvest 50 million Facebook profiles and data on those users.

The data collected was where they lived, what pages they liked, what personality traits they had, pages they had visited, and built a psychological profile of each user based on this data to build models to "exploit users and target those users inner demons". This was in violation of Facebook's rules of using data for commercial gain rather than strict academic purposes.

The quiz and app were built by Russian psychology professor Aleksandr Kogan who is a professor at the University of Cambridge, who funneled this data to Cambridge Analytica, while being funded by The Russian Govt.

The Trump campaign hired Cambridge Analytica in June 2016 to help it target their ads using what they thought was voter data gathered from millions of people.

During this same time frame Brexit Leave campaigners also hired Cambridge Analytica in the run up to the Bexit vote

The creator of Cambridge Analytica claims that Facebook found out about the data mining and asked them to delete the data, but didn't follow up for 2 years to ensure they had deleted the information.

Raw copies of the data are still available per the New York Times

When this was discovered the current CEO of Cambirdge Analytica testified in front of British MP's and denied the company knew who Professor Kogan was and denied ever collecting any Facebook data. Facebook also denied it gave Cambridge Analytica any data

So what started the ball rolling on this? Cambridge Analytica in 2014 was approached by a Russian Oil and Gas Company Lukoil (which is under US sanctions) and was asked if they could get a better understanding of the link between data, behavioral microtargetting and political campaigns especially in America. The NYT reports that this oil company met with Cambridge Analytica 3 times between 2014 and 2015 to discuss this project.

The founder and whistle blower said at the time it didn't make any sense why a Russian Oil company would want info on how to target information to American Voters.

Professor Kogan who was working at Cambridge and also serving as an associate professor for St. Petersburg State Univ was targeted to head the project and was provided a grant by the Russian Government to create the app and start harvesting Facebook data . Kogan's work was never publicized in Russia and none of his Russian counterparts at St. Petersburg State Univ were aware of the Project. Cambridge Univ said that Kogan was allowed to carry out his work in a "private capacity"

http://www.businessinsider.com/camb...harvested-50-million-facebook-profiles-2018-3

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Yes, a lot of personal data was allowed out by Facebook to this organization. Zuckerberg has been called to testify before a committee. Whenever you see an unusual amount of posters commenting on an issue and you go into their Fb page which contains no friends nor photos, it's usually a trollbot made from a stolen identity. Most of the young people have migrated away from Facebook because it's the social media of "their old parents". I hope Zuckerberg has some money saved up in a Folger's can buried in the back yard. He may be in for some losses.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Yes, a lot of personal data was allowed out by Facebook to this organization. Zuckerberg has been called to testify before a committee. Whenever you see an unusual amount of posters commenting on an issue and you go into their Fb page which contains no friends nor photos, it's usually a trollbot made from a stolen identity. Most of the young people have migrated away from Facebook because it's the social media of "their old parents". I hope Zuckerberg has some money saved up in a Folger's can buried in the back yard. He may be in for some losses.
My take away from this

1. There was a Russian Govt funded effort hatched in 2014 to gather world wide information via Facebook to be used to try to influence or impact Global Elections in Democratic countries

2. They were very successful in stealing a crap ton of data, preparing that data for use in elections to micro target voters and were able to run it through a Front that looked like a legit firm that offered this stolen information as what seemed like a very legit business

3. They were successful enough to convince Brexit and Trump campaign staffs to purchase and use their data, psych profiles, and micro targeting suggestions...with Brexit and Trump campaign staff unaware this was data actually stolen via a Russian Govt Funded operation

4. When it was uncovered, instead of going public and doing the right thing....Facebook just tried to make it go away without any formal attempts to force the data to be erased.

Many American's do not want to believe Russia meddled in our Election process, but it would seem they have had a world wide meddling process going on since 2014 based on stolen Facebook Data in which they have convinced campaigns in several countries to use.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Many American's do not want to believe Russia meddled in our Election process, but it would seem they have had a world wide meddling process going on since 2014 based on stolen Facebook Data in which they have convinced campaigns in several countries to use.
I don’t know where you get that from? I think most Americans (at least those with any sense of what happens beyond the county line) are not surprised at all that Russia meddles in world affairs just as the US does and both have been doing for decades. Meddling in world political affairs goes back centuries, it’s nothing new at all.

Oct 7, 2008
Just broke that Cambridge Analytica is being served with a search warrant today after Britain's Channel 4 News released an undercover video detailing their shadiness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpbeOCKZFfQ

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I don’t know where you get that from? I think most Americans (at least those with any sense of what happens beyond the county line) are not surprised at all that Russia meddles in world affairs just as the US does and both have been doing for decades. Meddling in world political affairs goes back centuries, it’s nothing new at all.
Thank you! The USA is one of the largest meddlers out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Facebook stock has fallen 6% or $30 Billion so far today because of this
That would make it a good time to buy or maybe wait for the media frenzy over a non-story to die down and the stock takes a little more of a dive then go in. 30 days, if the markets continue to be enthusiastic as they have been for the last 14 mos or so, FB will be up 10% from before their loss.
ML/SSB used to say; Irrational market reactions create rationale wealth opportunities.

Last edited:

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
So I just want to make sure I understand, example only: hey @Duke Silver want to know what your profession would have been in the old west, here let us access and scan your data (here are our t&c's if your interested). Voila, you would have been an outlaw, pretty cool right.
Your reaction - oh my, I really thought they just wanted to tell me how awesome I would've been in the old west, I had no idea they had an ulterior motive. :rolleyes:
Here's my takeaway
If Americans on fb are shocked then Americans on fb are idiots, I think I just answered my own question, never mind.

Oh yeah, didn't the russians help hrc (dnc funded dossier and all that), I know that doesn't fit the agenda the OP has but still somebody ought to bring it up.

edit/add:
My apologies, I really just was going to comment on the stock drop but the ridiculousness of this thread compelled me to respond.

Seriously, somebody stop this ride, I want off

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Why does everytime the left tries to pin something on Trump the evidence points back to Obama, HIllary, and the deep state? And then it's ignored?

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Fake stories planted in the media. Accusations of financial doings under the table. Stolen correspondence, which becomes public.

Since 2014 huh?

The manual extraction of patterns from data has occurred for centuries. Early methods of identifying patterns in data include Bayes' theorem (1700s) and regression analysis (1800s). (Wiki)

Ethel and Julius Rosenberg
In 1950, the infamous husband and wife were accused by the FBI of passing nuclear secrets to the Soviet Union. They were found guilty in a trial that helped fuel the red scare. Despite doubts as to Julius' and especially Ethel's guilt, the pair were executed for espionage at Sing Sing prison in New York on June 19, 1953.

Elizabeth Bentley
In 1938 Bentley began spying on fascists in New York City for the Communist Party of the United States, and by proxy the Soviet Union. Later she would control two separate groups of spies in the U.S. In 1945, after being demoted by controllers in Moscow, Bentley went to the FBI and gave up the 100-plus spies that comprised her networks.

http://content.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,2000712_2159101,00.html

Russia meddles in US Politics

Fake stories planted in the media. Accusations of financial doings under the table. Stolen correspondence, which becomes public. Unless it’s a forgery.

It was the fall of 1871.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...bassador-got-the-boot/?utm_term=.68ff904ba1cd

But Obama, Hillary and the Democrats would lead you to believe this all something Trump dreamed up. Recall what Obama told us.......

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Fake stories planted in the media. Accusations of financial doings under the table. Stolen correspondence, which becomes public.

Since 2014 huh?

The manual extraction of patterns from data has occurred for centuries. Early methods of identifying patterns in data include Bayes' theorem (1700s) and regression analysis (1800s). (Wiki)

Ethel and Julius Rosenberg
In 1950, the infamous husband and wife were accused by the FBI of passing nuclear secrets to the Soviet Union. They were found guilty in a trial that helped fuel the red scare. Despite doubts as to Julius' and especially Ethel's guilt, the pair were executed for espionage at Sing Sing prison in New York on June 19, 1953.

Elizabeth Bentley
In 1938 Bentley began spying on fascists in New York City for the Communist Party of the United States, and by proxy the Soviet Union. Later she would control two separate groups of spies in the U.S. In 1945, after being demoted by controllers in Moscow, Bentley went to the FBI and gave up the 100-plus spies that comprised her networks.

http://content.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,2000712_2159101,00.html

Russia meddles in US Politics

Fake stories planted in the media. Accusations of financial doings under the table. Stolen correspondence, which becomes public. Unless it’s a forgery.

It was the fall of 1871.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...bassador-got-the-boot/?utm_term=.68ff904ba1cd

But Obama, Hillary and the Democrats would lead you to believe this all something Trump dreamed up. Recall what Obama told us.......

Since 2014 with stolen Facebook data yes. Which is sort of a new concept thanks to the Interwebs. Data publicly provided freely by individuals on themselves and stored forever for all the public to see and used in turn to target them for Elections. Prior to the Interwebs this was a much tougher data to collect and use.

It is a byproduct of the Interwebs, which has modernized an age old method of collecting and using data in elections as you pointed out has been ongoing for 100's of years. Obama, Hillary and Pelosi and her ignorant bunch who want you to believe Trump was the first to do it or benefit from it are pure morons

The question isn't that this has been happening in the past, it is a question of who should be held accountable for it or should anyone be held accountable for this?

Was the data collected illegally? If you create a public profile on the interwebs and put all of your information out there for the public to see....and someone collects it and uses it...is it illegal? In this case it was supposed to be collected for academic purposes only, but that wasn't the end game. But isn't it still just public info?

Was Facebook at fault when they decided that this collection of data didn't fall in line with their User Agreement but didn't follow through for two years to ensure that it wasn't being used outside of academic purposes.

Does another country gathering this info and then setting up a company to use and profit from this info across the world in local elections in different countries violate those nations laws against having outside influence in an election process?

The Interwebs has created a beast with a whole new set of rules and guidelines that may be needed or not. Obama and Trump's elections are the first US elections to really see this electronic social media data utilized at a high level, and it has created a ton of questions about what is/is not appropriate with this scope of electronic data mining, that until the Interwebs was unfathomable

Last edited:

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Since 2014 with stolen Facebook data yes. Which is sort of a new concept thanks to the Interwebs. Data publicly provided freely by individuals on themselves and stored forever for all the public to see and used in turn to target them for Elections. Prior to the Interwebs this was a much tougher data to collect and use.

It is a byproduct of the Interwebs, which has modernized an age old method of collecting and using data in elections as you pointed out has been ongoing for 100's of years. Obama, Hillary and Pelosi and her ignorant bunch who want you to believe Trump was the first to do it or benefit from it are pure morons

The question isn't that this has been happening in the past, it is a question of who should be held accountable for it or should anyone be held accountable for this?

Was the data collected illegally? If you create a public profile on the interwebs and put all of your information out there for the public to see....and someone collects it and uses it...is it illegal? In this case it was supposed to be collected for academic purposes only, but that wasn't the end game. But isn't it still just public info?

Was Facebook at fault when they decided that this collection of data didn't fall in line with their User Agreement but didn't follow through for two years to ensure that it wasn't being used outside of academic purposes.

Does another country gathering this info and then setting up a company to use and profit from this info across the world in local elections in different countries violate those nations laws against having outside influence in an election process?

The Interwebs has created a beast with a whole new set of rules and guidelines that may be needed or not.
We moved from drawings on cave walls to pencil and paper. The concept hasn't changed only the medium from which we gain the information.

Not going to look it up but we've been taking survey's I'm sure for centuries.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
We moved from drawings on cave walls to pencil and paper. The concept hasn't changed only the medium from which we gain the information.

Not going to look it up but we've been taking survey's I'm sure for centuries.
Yeah but what a medium it is....in this case 270,000 were paid to take a psychological profile test via Facebook....and the medium was able to automatic collect specifics data on 50 million additional subjects unknown to them... no survey given in history could produce those results

No where in history could you send out 270,000 surveys and get 50 million responses..especially with 47.7 million of those responses being done without the person actually aware they responded to a survey or data collection event.