7 point dog going into Ames

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 8, 2010
Considering our history of blowing a season to someone, I’d say that’s about right. The Vegas guys know their stuff and are right far more times than they’re wrong. ISU still has the same talent that made them a strong favorite to meet uo in championship game and it looks like they’re starting to figure things out. Our offense will need to play much better in the first half than they did in Austin to beat them.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Is it really that hard to imagine an outsider seeing us as similar to Iowa this season? Solid team with a good defense, doesn't generally beat themselves, but challenged offensively and vulnerable to an upset?

I don't think so.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Is it really that hard to imagine an outsider seeing us as similar to Iowa this season? Solid team with a good defense, doesn't generally beat themselves, but challenged offensively and vulnerable to an upset?

I don't think so.
And beat Iowa State by 10.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Traber took ISU even giving the points...Anything to drum up business I think...

We certainly can lose it, it's do or die for ISU IF they want any semblance of their ranking early to come true...However, I just don't think Gundy will let us lose up there like in 2011...His memory runs too deep for way too long and that's his ONLY loss up there ever...as a player or a coach.

Nov 18, 2010
Iowa St has had a few bad breaks. We've had a few lucky breaks. We could easily be going into this game with 1 loss each.

Iowa St. is a very good team. It would be natural for there to be a let down after the big win over Texas. It would be natural to start believing your own ranking.

Coaches have their work cut out for them to keep this group of 18-23 year olds focus and hungry.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Traber took ISU even giving the points...Anything to drum up business I think...

We certainly can lose it, it's do or die for ISU IF they want any semblance of their ranking early to come true...However, I just don't think Gundy will let us lose up there like in 2011...His memory runs too deep for way too long and that's his ONLY loss up there ever...as a player or a coach.
Was Ronnie Williams the QB when they beat us with Thurman & Hart Lee when we were ranked? Thought it was Gundy.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Rankings mean nothing to Vegas. We were rated well ahead of tx last weekend, yet were anywhere from 3.5 to 5 point dogs.
AND we won by 8...is what it is...we will have to play better offense to win, but this defense WILL keep us in every single game late. Just would love to see the offense break out in this game early and often and retain that all game for once...I hope all the guys only read the Vegas line all week and forget the polls...they mean squat until we win...this game is the difference between a championship possibility of a season and just another bowl one IMHO...A very very important game.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Was Ronnie Williams the QB when they beat us with Thurman & Hart Lee when we were ranked? Thought it was Gundy.
Maybe I'm wrong I'll go back and look...didn't think he ever lost to them, maybe wrong. He has lost to them 2 times in his 16 years as our head coach...That I know, lost 1 of four or five since their new coach has taken over.

Aug 7, 2006

They beat us pretty good up there in Ames in 2005. Al Pena threw 4 or 5 picks.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
And lost at home to Purdue by 17.
Your Iowa/OSU comparison actually makes a really good argument… against yourself. Football is a game of matchups. If we’re similar to Iowa, then we should match up well with Iowa State. We both have a stifling defense and a mediocre offense. We both have been thorns in Campbell’s side.

Using your argument, we need to keep an eye out for a team like Purdue who was a match up issue for Iowa. But we should match up well against ISU.