Active shooter at Texas elementary school

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Yes, I don't want that "covered."

List the act as racially motivated.

Give us a ton of coverage about the victims and/or any responding officers/good samaritans etc. No further in depth coverage of the perpetrator.
View attachment 95798
What I saw of the Buffalo coverage was mostly this, though. I didn't see his name or face in the coverage I read, only the victims'. I had to actually dig a bit to find his name for the post I made above because it wasn't even in several articles. The racial motivation is a story about the all-black victims, too. So, when covering them, it is going to come up. So, show me what you mean by bad coverage of the perpetrator.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
What I saw of the Buffalo coverage was mostly this, though. I didn't see his name or face in the coverage I read, only the victims'. I had to actually dig a bit to find his name for the post I made above because it wasn't even in several articles. The racial motivation is a story about the all-black victims, too. So, when covering them, it is going to come up. So, show me what you mean by bad coverage of the perpetrator.
I'm not going to link a bunch of articles that go exactly against what I am preaching. But, the above lists how they should appear and there are plenty out there, including LA Times, NYT etc that do not follow that protocol.
If you are finding that it is harder to get the sordid details of the perpetrator than in the past, that is a good thing and maybe the media is finally waking up.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
Yeah, I did. That's what my whole point was. Would you rather ignore it? Would you rather them not cover that it was racially motivated for all three shooters I listed? Again, I don't understand what your solution is besides ignoring these facts.

Edit: by access to "it", I mean the manifesto. The youtuber shouldn't be able to get it so easily either.
Thanks for the response. Didn’t follow your comment before by “it”. What @steross said would be prudent for responsible reporting.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I'm not going to link a bunch of articles that go exactly against what I am preaching. But, the above lists how they should appear and there are plenty out there, including LA Times, NYT etc that do not follow that protocol.
If you are finding that it is harder to get the sordid details of the perpetrator than in the past, that is a good thing and maybe the media is finally waking up.
I agree with the protocols you posted above. What I'm having a hard time with is understanding how they weren't followed for Buffalo. The worst I saw was a story about people from the shooter's hometown, where his name still wasn't in the headline. That said, I don't read the click bait sites like CNN and maybe it's worse there. They currently have a Frontpage headline about the Uvalde shooter.

The challenge with Buffalo, Charleston, El Paso, Tree of Life, etc. is the application of the protocol gets blurry when you should regularly acknowledge the motive when discussing victims, including how hate crimes affect the entire neighborhood. For example, the lingering effects for the survivors of the Charleston AME church shooting included that they heard the shooter yelling "you rape our women". Covering that is victim focused, but seems to go against what the linked video was suggesting because you can't cover that quote or its effects without context about racist stereotypes and conspiracy theories. Do you cover victims' quotes like "he tried to start a race war, but he failed"? That was paraphrasing a quote from a family member of a victim at a press conference where the family wanted to speak.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I agree with the protocols you posted above. What I'm having a hard time with is understanding how they weren't followed for Buffalo. The worst I saw was a story about people from the shooter's hometown, where his name still wasn't in the headline. That said, I don't read the click bait sites like CNN and maybe it's worse there. They currently have a Frontpage headline about the Uvalde shooter.

The challenge with Buffalo, Charleston, El Paso, Tree of Life, etc. is the application of the protocol gets blurry when you should regularly acknowledge the motive when discussing victims, including how hate crimes affect the entire neighborhood. For example, the lingering effects for the survivors of the Charleston AME church shooting included that they heard the shooter yelling "you rape our women". Covering that is victim focused, but seems to go against what the linked video was suggesting because you can't cover that quote or its effects without context about racist stereotypes and conspiracy theories. Do you cover victims' quotes like "he tried to start a race war, but he failed"? That was paraphrasing a quote from a family member of a victim at a press conference where the family wanted to speak.
Please don't take offense, but you are sounding like my patients that have been sedentary and done hardly any exercise in a decade and they start asking me "Is it better if I do 8 reps and 4 sets or 10 reps and 3 sets" or "which pre-workout drink do you think I should use."
I think we are at the point where we try to follow the guidelines generally. If in several years this is widely followed then sorting the details makes more sense.
As far as finding coverage, I just googled his name and saw on the first page an article with a large pic of him and other articles with his name in the headline.
Here, just one example. Why do we need this type of detail about his existence? It is crack cocaine for a copycat.
Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 12.46.27 PM.png

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
The flipside to this argument is Switzerland. They haven't had a mass shooting for decades either, but they have some of the highest gun ownership rates in the world. It seems that culture plays a big part in the outcome that countries see from guns.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Has it yet been confirmed what actually happened during the initial confrontation with the onsite security guard?
What I had seen is that the school resource officer (that is the label they gave him, but they are saying he had a gun so basically a security guard) tried to stop him outside and was not able too. It looks like he lost his backpack full of ammo during this confrontation though and it shows it sitting there in the pictures. Those pictures also look to show blood on the concrete but not sure if that is from that confrontation.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
What I had seen is that the school resource officer (that is the label they gave him, which may mean he did not have a gun but I have no idea) tried to stop him outside and was not able too. It looks like he lost his backpack full of ammo during this confrontation though and it shows it sitting there in the pictures. Those pictures also look to show blood on the concrete but not sure if that is from that confrontation.
Thanks. I now see there's a briefing from officials coming up soon so hopefully they have some information to share.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
The flipside to this argument is Switzerland. They haven't had a mass shooting for decades either, but they have some of the highest gun ownership rates in the world. It seems that culture plays a big part in the outcome that countries see from guns.
Could we all agree to adopt the Swiss gun laws and see what that does for us?

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Please don't take offense, but you are sounding like my patients that have been sedentary and done hardly any exercise in a decade and they start asking me "Is it better if I do 8 reps and 4 sets or 10 reps and 3 sets" or "which pre-workout drink do you think I should use."
I think we are at the point where we try to follow the guidelines generally. If in several years this is widely followed then sorting the details makes more sense.
As far as finding coverage, I just googled his name and saw on the first page an article with a large pic of him and other articles with his name in the headline.
Here, just one example. Why do we need this type of detail about his existence? It is crack cocaine for a copycat.
View attachment 95800
I agree the piece from El País is bad and that makes sense. It’s also El País and not an outlet most of us would come across. It's fairly straightforward though and the video that started this made it seem like that piece was a large chunk of media coverage. I haven't seen it at all to that degree. Googling the name like you did, I came away with a different impression. First, there are several places that violate those protocols, but to highly variable degrees. Interestingly enough, Fox News and New York Post seem to be the worst violators with multiple articles about the shooter all using his name in the headline. CNN, USA Today, and a few other outlets seem to have single "what we know articles" that use his name. There were also several outlets that appeared to follow your recommendations (NPR, ABC, and maybe CBS). Those seem mostly straightforward.

Many of the others seem to be more similar to the blurry scenarios I presented. As examples, WaPo has an article about people seeming to log into a chatroom where they could watch the shooting. They have another article about his radicalization. Then, there are still the other questions that based on the video that started this all and to some extent your recommendations.

Finally, as a general rule, let's not compare each other to patients, especially ones we seem to have contempt for. You aren't alone in being able to do that and it's not productive.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
TDPS reporting there was no school resource officer at the school, nor were any doors locked. He basically walked in unimpeded. Also didn't realize his grandmother is still alive. Last, the husband of one of the teachers killed suffered a fatal heart attack this morning.