Active shooter at Texas elementary school

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
TDPS reporting there was no school resource officer at the school, nor were any doors locked. He basically walked in unimpeded. Also didn't realize his grandmother is still alive. Last, the husband of one of the teachers killed suffered a fatal heart attack this morning.
Were are you seeing this? I ask because that is not what has been reported everywhere else. Well except the unlocked door and the heart attack that is.

EDIT: Nevermind it just dropped...

1653591113408.png

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
TDPS reporting there was no school resource officer at the school, nor were any doors locked. He basically walked in unimpeded. Also didn't realize his grandmother is still alive. Last, the husband of one of the teachers killed suffered a fatal heart attack this morning.
I thought I read where he was being chased by the local police... wrecked the truck he "stole" from his grandparents just outside the school... and exchanged fire with officers as he entered the school... then approx 40 minutes passed before officers put him down.

Which seems EXTREME to me.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
I thought I read where he was being chased by the local police... wrecked the truck he "stole" from his grandparents just outside the school... and exchanged fire with officers as he entered the school... then approx 40 minutes passed before officers put him down.

1653591286493.png

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow

Wrecked his truck, fired at some witnesses across the street at a funeral home, scaled a 4-5' fence, walked to and into the school through unlocked doors. Took about 10 minutes from the time he wrecked his truck. No school resource officers present.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
after a few weeks, and some people calling for gun control reform, all will go back to normal...nothing to see here...most of America, including politicians were not personally affected by it, and so it will fade into our memories...partisanship will continue to reign supreme...what is better for the majority of the (common)people does not really matter after all...sometimes this beloved country makes me sick and ashamed!

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1529901852090945536?t=ICGPFYq-yGhfwtb1vXOl7A&s=19
hard to say what you would actually do...but I would think they would have to shoot me as I am running into building if my kid or grandkid was in the school and nothing was being done...maybe next time, give parents the opportunity to storm the room(s)...

gogetumpoke

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
hard to say what you would actually do...but I would think they would have to shoot me as I am running into building if my kid or grandkid was in the school and nothing was being done...maybe next time, give parents the opportunity to storm the room(s)...
Armed parents?

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
[
So there was a police response within the first 14ish minutes... but then they waited an hour for a tactical team to actually stop the gunman.

I understand the reasoning, but that's just too damned long to respond to something like this.
I can remember the Columbine incident like it was yesterday. Worked at a Denver TV station at the time, so we were locked into coverage for hours as you might imagine.

The chaos and confusion around events like this makes it extremely difficult to always make the right decision(s) in real time, so I definitely feel for the LEO's involved here.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
[

I can remember the Columbine incident like it was yesterday. Worked at a Denver TV station at the time, so we were locked into coverage for hours as you might imagine.

The chaos and confusion around events like this makes it extremely difficult to always make the right decision(s) in real time, so I definitely feel for the LEO's involved here.
If I remember correctly, similar scenario at the Parkland school shooting. Initial officers on the scene didn't do much of anything and valuable time was wasted. I don't know if this is by design or by training... hopefully one of our resident LEO's can speak up... but it just seems excessive to "access" a scene for 40 minutes to an hour OR waiting on a tactical team prior to taking any real, meaningful action.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
So there was a police response within the first 14ish minutes... but then they waited an hour for a tactical team to actually stop the gunman.

I understand the reasoning, but that's just too damned long to respond to something like this.
It's my understanding that the shooter locked himself in a classroom and he wasn't confronted for nearly an hour. All of the deaths occurred in that classroom.

I can understand being afraid to confront a shooter without body armor, but standing idly by for an hour while he slaughters everyone in a classroom seems really cowardly. All that being said, I hate to pass judgement this early. There are probably details I've missed.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I agree the piece from El País is bad and that makes sense. It’s also El País and not an outlet most of us would come across. It's fairly straightforward though and the video that started this made it seem like that piece was a large chunk of media coverage. I haven't seen it at all to that degree. Googling the name like you did, I came away with a different impression. First, there are several places that violate those protocols, but to highly variable degrees. Interestingly enough, Fox News and New York Post seem to be the worst violators with multiple articles about the shooter all using his name in the headline. CNN, USA Today, and a few other outlets seem to have single "what we know articles" that use his name. There were also several outlets that appeared to follow your recommendations (NPR, ABC, and maybe CBS). Those seem mostly straightforward.

Many of the others seem to be more similar to the blurry scenarios I presented. As examples, WaPo has an article about people seeming to log into a chatroom where they could watch the shooting. They have another article about his radicalization. Then, there are still the other questions that based on the video that started this all and to some extent your recommendations.

Finally, as a general rule, let's not compare each other to patients, especially ones we seem to have contempt for. You aren't alone in being able to do that and it's not productive.
Oh good lord. "Contempt for?" Please, talk about making a massive assumption with no data whatsoever. I work in an obesity clinic. Yes, I see patients that have been sedentary for a long time. Yes, sometimes they suddenly get very motivated and want to make what should be a simple start too complex. I help them through that and it is the opposite of contempt as seeing them get healthy is one of the more gratifying things I do. Nothing I said should evoke thoughts of contempt. Unless that is, you just felt the need for a "gotcha." If that was your goal, good job, it worked. Honestly, you are right. I should not compare you to patients. They generally react better than that to something incredibly benign said to make the point understandable.

At this point, your points just sound like bickering nuances. You went from "I don't see it. Give one example" to "Now I see it but it isn't as bad as you and others think it is." You didn't believe it was happening a page ago and now you want to unearth details of exactly what should or should not qualify. Again, I think we should simply head in the direction of better.

On the bright side, contrary to where you started, at least you know it exists.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
It's my understanding that the shooter locked himself in a classroom and he wasn't confronted for nearly an hour. All of the deaths occurred in that classroom.

I can understand being afraid to confront a shooter without body armor, but standing idly by for an hour while he slaughters everyone in a classroom seems really cowardly. All that being said, I hate to pass judgement this early. There are probably details I've missed.
If this is indeed true, it could have initially been a hostage situation in which case waiting would make sense. As you said though, hard to really say anything without actually knowing any details.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma

Well, since nothing was apparently learned from police waiting outside of Parkland while the guy was slaughtering kids inside, hopefully the lesson gets across this time that the longer the police wait outside, the more kids are going to get killed.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
If I remember correctly, similar scenario at the Parkland school shooting. Initial officers on the scene didn't do much of anything and valuable time was wasted. I don't know if this is by design or by training... hopefully one of our resident LEO's can speak up... but it just seems excessive to "access" a scene for 40 minutes to an hour OR waiting on a tactical team prior to taking any real, meaningful action.
If at 14 minutes we have multiple law enforcement officers on scene who are not able to do anything because of gunfire, how much benefit can we expect from spending the money to have an armed guard at each school? Would that person be expected to do more than the typical LEO? Are we just thinking that would get SWAT there 14 minutes faster?