Active shooter at Texas elementary school

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Another one that could be done TODAY.

Eliminating and revoking the products liability exemptions of the PLCAA that belong to the gun industry and the gun industry alone.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
"....nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.26

We also recognize another important limitation on the right to keep and carry arms. Miller said, as we have explained, that the sorts of weapons protected were those “in common use at the time.” 307 U. S., at 179. We think that limitation is fairly supported by the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of “dangerous and unusual weapons.”

There's a whole host of potential regulations on the commercial sale of arms and exactly what arms may be owned/carried by individuals that a real conversation and discussion could be had about whether they would be good policy that wouldn't violate 2nd Amendment rights.

Yet all I hear from certain people is nothing can be done without violating 2nd Amendment rights. Thoughts and prayers. Let's move on.

THAT is a political statement immediately after a tragedy every single bit as what Biden said last night.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
In the end, I guess what I am saying is that I personally don't have all the answers as to what should be done.

At the same time, "nothing can be done without infringing on Constitutional rights".....is absolutely, 100% dead wrong and is much a political statement as anything Biden said last night. The 2nd Amendment simply is not without limits.

Apr 14, 2009
Maybe this is a stupid Idea.
Maybe we should look into limiting The distribution of ammunition. At least tracking it.

The San Bernardino terrorist attack if I remember correctly those two shooters had amassed over 10,000 rounds of ammunition.
In this computer tracking age could we not at least have some red flags over someone amassing 10,000 rounds of ammunition. It’s just one little thing but we have to start somewhere.

I would like to believe that our founding fathers did not have the gun laws that we currently have in mind when the second amendment was put down in writing..
This country has to fix this.
As it stands right now American exceptionalism is a JOKE!

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
Not getting a lot of attention here are the motives behind mass shootings. CBS Morning had an interview with a family friend of the shooter that played briefly. Said the kid was most likely the victim of long standing bullying. The people who commit these atrocities are usually disenfranchised, isolated, and don't know how to express themselves constructively. Bullying can significantly impact children and young adults. I hope our politicians can recognize this and look to stop the issue from that end as well. Usually they default to gun control, which just incites people on both sides. Addressing the mental aspect of these school shooters would significantly help this issue.

Prayers for all the victims in this senseless tragedy.

1653490416001.png

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Maybe we should look into limiting The distribution of ammunition. At least tracking it.

The San Bernardino terrorist attack if I remember correctly those two shooters had amassed over 10,000 rounds of ammunition.
In this computer tracking age could we not at least have some red flags over someone amassing 10,000 rounds of ammunition. It’s just one little thing but we have to start somewhere.

I would like to believe that our founding fathers did not have the gun laws that we currently have in mind when the second amendment was put down in writing..
With the amount of ammunition already out there, the ease of making your own ammunition and the ability to just smuggle it in like drugs and other illegal items are now... I don't think this would make enough of a change for the amount of cost to do it.

To me the two easy one is make gun purchases require that the person is 21. I know some will say that an 18 year old can die for their country but its not like we don't already say they can't drink at 18. Heck you have to be 21 to buy a handgun, just make rifles the same.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
USAToday

"It was the first thing he did when he turned 18," he said on CNN, citing a briefing from Texas Rangers.
The two rifles were purchased on two separate dates, May 17 and May 20, and one was found in the gunman's truck while the other was in the school, according to a briefing state Sen. John Whitmire said he received.
The gunman also purchased 375 rounds of 5.56 ammunition, and what appears to be seven 30-round magazines were inside the school, according to Whitmire. A backpack with several magazines of ammunition near the entrance of the school was also found, according to Whitmire.
Abbott said earlier in the day that the shooter had a handgun and possibly a rifle.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
Steve Kerr, HC Golden State Warriors...

"Any basketball questions don't matter," Kerr said in a passionate speech ahead of Game 4 against the Dallas Mavericks. "Since we've left shootaround, 14 children were killed… and a teacher. In the last 10 days, we've had elderly Black people killed in a supermarket in Buffalo, we've had Asian churchgoers killed in Southern California. Now we have children murdered at school."
"When are we going to do something?" Kerr questioned as he slammed his hands on the table in frustration, while holding back tears. "I'm so tired of getting up here and offering condolences to the devastated families that are out there. I'm so tired. Excuse me. I'm sorry. I'm tired of moments of silence. Enough."

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
To me the two easy one is make gun purchases require that the person is 21. I know some will say that an 18 year old can die for their country but its not like we don't already say they can't drink at 18. Heck you have to be 21 to buy a handgun, just make rifles the same.
On that point though, we're not just handing them a firearm they have no experience with and shoving them out to the front line either. They're receiving a crap load more training and oversight with that firearm than some 18yo walking into a gun shop on his birthday. I see no problem placing restrictions on 18-21yr olds when it comes to this. Either mandatory training and evaluations before being able to purchase or just outright restricting purchase.

Last edited:

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
There are nearly 400 million civilian owned firearms in circulation in the US, and the 2A isn't going anywhere. It's a mistake to go after guns. It's also a mistake to go after gun manufacturers. They aren't responsible for what happens to their products unless they're complicit in getting them into the hands of criminals.

We have to find a way to keep guns out of the hands of people that shouldn't possess them, and we have to stop making mass shooters famous. I'm not sure how we do those things, but they're necessary.

I'm all for the following proposals:
1. We have to make schools harder targets. We need law enforcement stationed outside of schools and adequate security inside schools. Some schools already do this, but some don't.
2. The US needs to improve mental health care. We have to do a better job of identifying people that are struggling and get them help. This starts with parents.
3. IMO, we should have a law in place that requires a background check before anyone can purchase a firearm. We need to close some of the loopholes that exist. I'm a devout supporter of the 2A, but this seems pretty reasonable.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX

People who amass ammo like that are generally preppers who are waiting for the SHTF moment. People would then transition into loading their own rounds who really wanted that amount of ammo. Their goals are lack of government oversight and self preservation.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
There are nearly 400 million civilian owned firearms in circulation in the US, and the 2A isn't going anywhere. It's a mistake to go after guns. It's also a mistake to go after gun manufacturers. They aren't responsible for what happens to their products unless they're complicit in getting them into the hands of criminals.

We have to find a way to keep guns out of the hands of people that shouldn't possess them, and we have to stop making mass shooters famous. I'm not sure how we do those things, but they're necessary.

I'm all for the following proposals:
1. We have to make schools harder targets. We need law enforcement stationed outside of schools and adequate security inside schools. Some schools already do this, but some don't.
2. The US needs to improve mental health care. We have to do a better job of identifying people that are struggling and get them help. This starts with parents.

3. IMO, we should have a law in place that requires a background check before anyone can purchase a firearm. We need to close some of the loopholes that exist. I'm a devout supporter of the 2A, but this seems pretty reasonable.
These right here are easy bi-partisan things that can be done. Teachers should be able to lock down class rooms from outside intruders. If the kids are in safe rooms, the gunman is limited to hallways and outside areas. Mental health issues are real and the source of these travesties. Teens and kids are especially susceptible to these with today's current technology and social platforms.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
You don't understand what the 2nd Amendment rights of American Citizens actually are, then.

And you're going with the same old saw of letting "perfection be the enemy of good" by claiming that nothing can be done to ease or decrease gun violence unless you can be convinced that it will stop all violence with all weapons.

That, frankly, is an asinine argument. You are essentially arguing that unless we can eliminate all violence from evil people, we can't justify doing anything to lessen the destruction being wrought.

I'll give you one thing we could do today that would help and that is clearly and obviously completely constitutional.....

"Red flag" Petitions similar to Victim Protective Orders that would authorize seizure of weapons upon factual showings of threat or mental disability/instability that actually have some teeth. Temporary seizure of firearms subject to hearing within 48 hours of seizure. Emergency telephonic seizure orders like we have emergency victim protective orders granted.

Would it END all the violence? No. Will it help lessen the violence? I think so.
And when that doesnt work? Then the left will move on to the next inch. While yea there are a bunch of things we could do to limit these things from happening, there are people out there that will not stop until there is zero chance that this happens which is impossible unless there is gun confiscation. That is the problem, if pro gun supporters could trust the other side to actually stop taking when they are asked to give a little, then maybe we could get some where, but personally I dont trust anyone on the left to negotiate on good terms.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Not getting a lot of attention here are the motives behind mass shootings. CBS Morning had an interview with a family friend of the shooter that played briefly. Said the kid was most likely the victim of long standing bullying. The people who commit these atrocities are usually disenfranchised, isolated, and don't know how to express themselves constructively. Bullying can significantly impact children and young adults. I hope our politicians can recognize this and look to stop the issue from that end as well. Usually they default to gun control, which just incites people on both sides. Addressing the mental aspect of these school shooters would significantly help this issue.

Prayers for all the victims in this senseless tragedy.

View attachment 95769
Really appreciate the data look. I usually go this route as well to emotionally distance myself. Only way I can cope.

What qualifies as 'non-active shooter' vs 'active shooter'? I'm assuming it's gun violence in general (still not a good thing) vs mass shootings targeting random kids, but I could be wrong.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
Really appreciate the data look. I usually go this route as well to emotionally distance myself. Only way I can cope.

What qualifies as 'non-active shooter' vs 'active shooter'? I'm assuming it's gun violence in general (still not a good thing) vs mass shootings targeting random kids, but I could be wrong.
The source defines a school shooting as every time a gun is brandished, fired, or a bullet hits school property for any reason. "Active" I believe refers to the situation we had yesterday.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
And when that doesnt work? Then the left will move on to the next inch. While yea there are a bunch of things we could do to limit these things from happening, there are people out there that will not stop until there is zero chance that this happens which is impossible unless there is gun confiscation. That is the problem, if pro gun supporters could trust the other side to actually stop taking when they are asked to give a little, then maybe we could get some where, but personally I dont trust anyone on the left to negotiate on good terms.
This is the problem with political discourse today. I'm not sure when it started. But both sides think the other is coming from a position of evil. I can tell you that "the left" is not doing that any more than you are. Which I believe is 0%.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
This is the problem with political discourse today. I'm not sure when it started. But both sides think the other is coming from a position of evil. I can tell you that "the left" is not doing that any more than you are. Which I believe is zero.
Exhibit 1,756....

"F--- your prayers. They haven’t worked for the last 20 mass shootings how about passing laws that will stop these killings," Rep. Ruben Gallego, D-Ariz., tweeted at Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif.

Gallego also tweeted at Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas: "Just to be clear f--- you @tedcruz you f---ing baby killer."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/uvalde-texas-school-shooting-democrats-gun-control-prayers

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Wow.

Just wow.

Unwilling to discuss even the "bunch of things we could do to limit these things from happening".....thereby lessening the violence....because your predetermined belief that the evil "left" are only out for your guns and not really interested in "lessening the violence."

I find that really, really disturbing way of thinking.

Just keep offering your meaningless thoughts and prayers, I guess. Worked really well so far, right.