Active shooter at Texas elementary school

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Politics are weird. He has several people he would consider "the left" telling him point blank what they think and none of it comes close to "zero tolerance gun confiscation." Instead, I get a Fox News article with some Tweets as proof of what the left thinks. Odd thing that we can't listen to the "other side" when they're your fellow Okies and Cowboys fans, but some New Yorker you don't know writes an article and boom...
Yep....wow.

We are headed down a dark, dark path in the World right now.

More and more, it seems inevitable that it's not going to get any better....probably ever.

Got any leads on a bunker in Antarctica or something?

May need to become the hermit of all hermits.

May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
There are more guns in the US than there are people. The vast majority of which are owned by law abiding citizens for protection, hunting, etc.
Only 30% of Americans own guns according to the latest pew research which means less that a third of Americans owns all those guns in the US.

Gun owners and gun lobbies better start offering up some good solutions and start putting their resources and weight behind those solutions or the remaining 70% is going to do something about it that might not be good in the long run.

Gun lobbies are extremely powerful. They need to start playing offense instead of defense.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
It's not what I believe, it's what I hear from democrat politicians.
which politician(s) say they want zero tolerance/gun confiscation?... step away from foxnews for awhile, or better yet; watch it, but also watch cnn or something so you can get both sides...

May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
If there were no guns in the world, the sick in the head individuals would just make a bomb, light the school on fire, drive through the playground mowing kids down with his car, poison the cafeteria food or any number of ways to commit atrocities. Why do we keep blaming the tool of choice instead of addressing the reasons sick individuals get this way like absence of parenting, violence in movies and video games and disturbing online sites that are allowed to exist?
I am not a huge fan of this argument. All of these items you listed are tools: bombs, fire, vehicle... with the exception of poison... that have other purposes. You can add knives to that list too.

Guns are made for and have only one purpose, to kill. Every advancement in guns, since their invention, is it to make them more efficient at killing.

Also, not going to entertain the clay pigeons, target shooting or ornamental gun responses. You can find an exception in every argument.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
in this particular shooting, it would not have happened (IMO) if texas laws didn't allow AR-15s to be sold to teenagers...
...also, this from BBC is crazy and discouraging:
An Uvalde school district police officer, who worked at the school, saw Ramos emerge from the vehicle carrying a rifle and wearing body armour, according to Erick Estrada from the Texas Department of Public Safety, who was speaking to CNN.
The officer "engaged" the suspect but was unable to stop him, Mr Estrada said. Two more officers from Uvalde Police Department also attempted to stop Ramos but were unable to do so, and called for back-up.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Only 30% of Americans own guns according to the latest pew research which means less that a third of Americans owns all those guns in the US.

Gun owners and gun lobbies better start offering up some good solutions and start putting their resources and weight behind those solutions or the remaining 70% is going to do something about it that might not be good in the long run.

Gun lobbies are extremely powerful. They need to start playing offense instead of defense.
I find this almost impossible to believe.

By the way, if anyone ever “researches” me, of course the answer is going to be “hell no I don’t own any guns”.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Triggered, screwed up minds pull triggers.

That being said, we shouldn't be selling guns to anyone under 21 unless a parent or guardian signs for them and takes on all liability IF they do something wrong. These adults then need to promise to make sure the kids gets gun safety / hunter safety classes and passes them...actually that should already be done prior than being allowed to purchase a fire arm.

Once again the problems isn't totally the guns, but we should make it more difficult for kids to obtain them at the very least do background checks and have some restrictions.

Now we need to go out and fix the triggered minds by loving one another. Stop being darkness if you are...Be light for everyone. Relationships are more important than being "right." Build your relationships on love, not being "right."

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
My granddaughter's middle school had only one accessible entrance from the outside. It has a secure vestibule where you come in the first set of doors and you are basically trapped in that vestibule between two sets of doors until you are properly vetted. You do not enter the second set of locked doors until you are buzzed in by staff. No other entrances are accessible from outside. This incident could not have happened in the same way with that kind of security. They also have an armed security guard on duty. Why are these measures not an absolute minimum requirement at every US school?
I agree. We don't want children to feel like they're being sent to a prison every day, but we need to secure our schools and make them harder targets. Some schools have done a good job of this, others haven't. It sure seems like the shooter was able to access this school way too easily in this instance.

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
in this particular shooting, it would not have happened (IMO) if texas laws didn't allow AR-15s to be sold to teenagers...
...also, this from BBC is crazy and discouraging:
An Uvalde school district police officer, who worked at the school, saw Ramos emerge from the vehicle carrying a rifle and wearing body armour, according to Erick Estrada from the Texas Department of Public Safety, who was speaking to CNN.
The officer "engaged" the suspect but was unable to stop him, Mr Estrada said. Two more officers from Uvalde Police Department also attempted to stop Ramos but were unable to do so, and called for back-up.
I have so many questions about this. I know in Parkland the school resource office didn't lift a finger either.

Jul 10, 2009
Stillwater, OK
And if the officers couldn't get the kid to stop, what then? Shoot him? They would be guaranteed to be brought up on murder charges. "He's never been in trouble before". You can hear the outcry. Hindsight is 20/20 and I know that at this point, they wish that they had taken him out. But there are real world consequences to making the Police villains.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
America can't and won't. Actually, mass shootings that first greatly shocked the public began in 1965 from the Texas Tower. 14 people were killed with 31 injured. Flash forward to the 2017 Las Vegas mass shooting, which killed 60 and injured 411. That next to nothing was done to that record breaking mass shooting quite overwhelmingly proves America lacks the will to do anything serious about stopping mass shootings. It's important to understand an important part of American culture is that protection of 2nd Amendment rights is more important than to pass gun control laws to protect children and adults from mass shootings in the future. So, they will go on. At best, maybe it can be hoped that mental health experts can somehow do a much better job of identifying people who are likely to go on a mass shooting. After all, since it's impossible to eliminate guns, let's figure out how to ban people from society who are senselessly thinking about abusing guns to kill people. Maybe some of them are on prescribed mental health drugs:

An Uncomfortable Truth: A Look at the Corresponding Rise of Antidepressants, SSRIs, and Mass Shootings | Psychreg
Other countries have also had rises in the prescriptions of SSRIs, but not corresponding rises in mass shootings. SSRIs are some of the safest mental health medications. This is the sort of thing you get from scientologists who try to stigmatize mental health treatment.

Sep 3, 2010
Crap. I was watching it while eating lunch and I thought it looked like him then I thought "Naw, even he wouldn't grandstand on that stage". Sad. Probably naïve on my part but I'm hopeful for some middle ground to be found in the aftermath of this tragedy. If we can't come together over something like this we are definitely in trouble.