Advice on a handgun...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

bacowboy

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2004
BA
Actually, a Seal Team would be the best protection money can buy but I do like the idea of a hallway cleaner...
it's difficult to get a small framed woman to feel good about brandishing a pistol gripped shotgun.
Just tell her to close eyes aim in the direction of noise and fire. At least that is what my wife would do.:D

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
The one most commonly encountered here is the .380 acp. It's the same diameter bullet as the 9mm but a shorter case and lighter powder charge, forcing it to be somewhat restricted on bullet weight.
Thank you sir!
I have a .380, I was hoping the ppk was as well. I will let my wife carry the 380 now. My brother has a walther p22 and I love that gun. I was hoping the ppk was just as awesome.

Thanks for the help Sig.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
By the way,

Right now I carry a smith & wesson .40 cal. I want something more compact for summer.
I've owned a PPK for about 25 years and it's been a very nice gun. I bought the Manurhin version as opposed to Walther and have no complaints, it was less expensive then the Walther too. Interarms and Smith & Wesson make it in the US I believe. Light, thin and easy to fire, nice carry gun for male or female.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I've owned a PPK/S for about 25 years and it's been a very nice gun. I bought the Manurhin version as opposed to Walther and have no complaints, it was less expensive then the Walther too. Interarms and Smith & Wesson make it in the US I believe. Light, thin and easy to fire, nice carry gun for male or female.
Thanks.

Mar 4, 2006
I took my wife to several gun shows and had her get a hold of many American made handguns to see how they feel. Going back and forth from table to table until she found the right fit. She chose the Ruger LC9 over a Kahr MC9 after the sales lady showed her the clip with the pinky rest. She didn't know she was buying it until I told the lady she would take that one. Filled out the paper work, paid for it & carried it out all on her own. The price was 4 bills but they knocked off 10% when she paid up.

OP150

John 15:13
Aug 30, 2008
D2L
Weapon lights are good but will never be mandatory for obvious reasons. I have a light which I have removed from a Ruger SR9C because it fouled up the balance and makes it not possible to holster. I have tactical lights that outperform weapon based lights and can effectively use the light in conjunction with the weapon. You are advocating keeping a Glock in battery for a person who may not have a good comfort level with Glock weapons and I don't necessarily think that's a good idea.
What obvious reasons? They make holsters which accommodate pistols with lights. Frames, well Glock messed up the .40's but we have yet to have an issue with our 120+ Glocks with lights (.45's and .357 Sig).

I am advocating the Glock and a light for one purpose, it is the most idiot proof pistol out there. It just works and if new to shooting, you don't know any better about the grip and functions of the pistol.

The light... anything someone says disputing putting a light on the pistol is making excuses. For someone who likely isn't going to train with the pistol or clear houses everyday, the light needs to be on the pistol. Put that person in a stressful situation with a hand held TAC light removing the free use of that hand, and things will be clumsy.

OSU Sig

Federal Marshal
Jan 28, 2005
Edmond
First of all, not everyone likes a light and not everyone likes a Glock. If you choose to carry one for your duty weapon thats great but not everyone is involved in clearing houses. I don't care for Glocks as the mag release bites my strong hand. I'm left handed and prefer a different grip shape with a mag release in a different position. I shoot HK pistols, currently the USP 40 and the HK45. I also like a physical safety. I understand the Glock safety trigger but do not like carrying a weapon in battery without a safety.
It's nothing more than personal choice.

Oct 23, 2008
Norman, Ok
Yes it is. It is affordable for a Kimber though. But out of the 4 smaller calliber pistols we own those are the two my mother likes. She doesn't like the bodyguard .380 or my Taurus Slim.