Afghanistan merged

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Afghanistan has only opium as its export and the US owns those fields (or did during occupation). Now that the war was nearly over, the war on opium in the US began, you know, the opium drug producers somehow hooked millions of US citizens on opioids. That is not a coincidence.

While US soldiers walked the opium fields, doctors left to right were prescribing opioids to as many citizens as possible. Then when it became a crisis, the US withdraws from Afghanistan. The opioid epidemic coincides perfectly with when the US invaded Afghanistan, mostly for the opium plants. Then when it became clear the US could no longer exploit its citizens anymore aka prescribing opioids to anyone who asked for it, the "war" on opioids began a year or two ago, then bam.. US withdraws.
Wut....?

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Id like to think those that spent a decade plus (or even any time at all) made it out. Hopefully most of them did and if they didn't part of the negotiations over this involved their safety to either get out or not be harmed if they decided to stay.

This really sucks for women there. The 30 year old who grew up in a western lifestyle and now had to wear a head covering and has no rights. The 8 year old who knew nothing different from the girls my oldest goes to school with who will soon have no school to go to. That pains me.

I don't know what is worse. The lives we lost over there or what their people will now have to endure because their security forces weren't capable of handling our withdrawal. I don't think we should be the world's police but 20 years and the outcome is no different than if we had done nothing over there.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
He thinks we went over there and got a supply of opium, created demand over here, the opioid crisis had to be addressed so we shut down demand, then no longer needed the supply. Bye, bye Afghanistan.

kenny41

Territorial Marshal
Aug 28, 2006
OKC/Tulsa
Taliban have now officially captured Kabul. The war in Afghanistan is all but lost at this point.
At THIS point?
It’s pretty jarring we have another US war go in the “L” column. It was painfully obvious it was going that way when Biden’s announcement about the troop withdrawal, but the Taliban took it back at break neck speed. At least the south Vietnamese made it almost 3 years. The Afghan government was completely worthless.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
He thinks we went over there and got a supply of opium, created demand over here, the opioid crisis had to be addressed so we shut down demand, then no longer needed the supply. Bye, bye Afghanistan.
I gathered as much. Just hadn't heard that one before, and was curious why the poster believes it.

gogetumpoke

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
With a planned withdrawal how in the world do you not get the equipment out? How hard is to fly a helicopter out of the country and take the drones with you? If you’re leaving the humvees at least disable them where they cannot be used.
I can't imagine how this administration could have possibly screwed this up any worse. What a crap show.

Oct 7, 2008
Johnson & Johnson owns some massive opium fields overseas somewhere, don't remember if they were in the Middle East or not. Check out Crime of the Century on HBO if you feel like pulling your hair out.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
With a planned withdrawal how in the world do you not get the equipment out? How hard is to fly a helicopter out of the country and take the drones with you? If you’re leaving the humvees at least disable them where they cannot be used.
It might be a bunch of stuff we gave the Afghans to defend their country.