all things stitt

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
He sure got his base riled up with his executive order today. I still haven't figured out how it solves anything.
I can't figure out why this guy even ran for governor.

He basically told teachers "we can pull anyone off the street to do your job".

He has been consistent at one thing... being completely tone deaf.

Mar 11, 2006

I don’t believe most teachers feel that way. Most of the educators I know want to explore all workable options to keep students in-school.

Will this order do a large amount to save schools from having to go virtual? Doubtful in any significant way.
Is there more that can be done? Probably.
Was it a good decision for education in our state? Absolutely

Last edited:

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN

Yeah. I get that he tried to have good intentions here but from what I've seen on social media teachers are pissed about it.

Between this and his doubling down in McGurt it's like he is trying to get primaried.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Yeah. I get that he tried to have good intentions here but from what I've seen on social media teachers are pissed about it.

Between this and his doubling down in McGurt it's like he is trying to get primaried.
Teachers are always pissed. The war with the tribes is baffling

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
The deal with the tribes is going to get real interesting if the state loses at the Supreme Court again. If this becomes a tax issue Oklahoma's problems are just starting.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I don’t believe most teachers feel that way. Most of the educators I know want to explore all workable options to keep students in-school.

Will this order do a large amount to save schools from having to go virtual? Doubtful in any significant way.
Is there more that can be done? Probably.
Was it a good decision for education in our state? Absolutely
You and I have shared stories in the past that seem to highlight that there's a different mindset between Tulsa and OKC teachers and this seems to continue that. From what I've seen so far, OKC area teachers are upset about this EO because they're taking it as another slap in the face from Stitt and his education secretary.

"Stitt knee-jerk" aside, is this EO actually going to help anything? How long is it going to take before this new pool of subs is actually available to schools and are there even enough willing to participate to actually make a difference? To me this just really looks more like a "look what I did" that Stitt can reference back to during re-election than it is anything that's actually going to help. It could be useful in the future though but time will tell.

Mar 11, 2006
You and I have shared stories in the past that seem to highlight that there's a different mindset between Tulsa and OKC teachers and this seems to continue that. From what I've seen so far, OKC area teachers are upset about this EO because they're taking it as another slap in the face from Stitt and his education secretary.

"Stitt knee-jerk" aside, is this EO actually going to help anything? How long is it going to take before this new pool of subs is actually available to schools and are there even enough willing to participate to actually make a difference? To me this just really looks more like a "look what I did" that Stitt can reference back to during re-election than it is anything that's actually going to help. It could be useful in the future though but time will tell.
1) I don’t believe there is a major mindset difference between Tulsa and OKC teachers, although I was surprised to see the Tulsa Teachers Union come out with a statement of support, albeit tepid, regarding Stitt’s order. The difference may be the districts we spend time with. Rural/suburban/city and their leaders (superintendents/principals) and the teachers they attract/retain.
I am around one large school district much more than others, so certainly viewpoints from that district influence how I perceive teacher’s reactions.

2) As I stated above, I don’t think order is going to help in any significant way. However, it does remove a hurdle and will assist. It helps the government be more flexible and serve the constituents better — isn’t that what we should want from our government?
Agree that it will probably be utilized as a ‘look what I did” item, but at worst the order does no harm.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Until the state workers get COVID while subbing and bring it back to Highway Patrol, Courthouses, other agencies, etc.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
State Auditor Releases Report On Oklahoma State Department Of Health
Ryan Welton
Published 1:36 PM CST

The Oklahoma State Auditor and Inspector released its audit of the Oklahoma State Department of Health Wednesday afternoon.
In the report, which we have linked to here, auditors looked into expenditures at the department from Sept. 1, 2019, to February 28, 2021.

The report is divided into three sections. The first section examines $5.4 million paid by the state of Oklahoma for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) that has never been received.
"OSDH did not have a comprehensive emergency procurement policy or procedure in place prior to the COVID-19 emergency, greatly increasing the state’s risk for fraud, waste, and loss of funds. As a result, prepayments were made in violation of the Oklahoma Constitution and goods have still not been received for over $5.4 million paid by the state. "​
The second section of the audit report is focused on Oklahoma's purchasing process and purchasing laws.
"OSDH experienced numerous personnel changes within the administrative and finance divisions during the audit period. In addition to the two Interim Commissioners, the agency also had three different Chief Financial Officers during the audit period and a new Chief of Staff. With these significant changes, it is possible some of these individuals may have been unfamiliar with state purchasing laws. Purchases specifically in question were related to furniture, communication support, and OU Health Science Center Contracts, Saxum and Shyft Partners LLC.​
We performed an analysis of the agency’s miscellaneous expenditures for FY 18, FY 19, and FY 20 using the combining trial balance. For accounts with total expenditures exceeding $3 million and a 50% or more increase (see blue highlights below), we analyzed the details of account and followed up on outlying activities from year to year."​
The third and final section of the audit report examines salaries, in particular the salary of then-OSDH Commissioner Gary Cox, whose salary was raised from $215,188 to $335,160 on Jan. 1, 2021. The higher salary, according to the report, exceeded the state's maximum salary at the time, $322,782.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
State Auditor Releases Report On Oklahoma State Department Of Health
Ryan Welton
Published 1:36 PM CST

The Oklahoma State Auditor and Inspector released its audit of the Oklahoma State Department of Health Wednesday afternoon.
In the report, which we have linked to here, auditors looked into expenditures at the department from Sept. 1, 2019, to February 28, 2021.

The report is divided into three sections. The first section examines $5.4 million paid by the state of Oklahoma for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) that has never been received.
"OSDH did not have a comprehensive emergency procurement policy or procedure in place prior to the COVID-19 emergency, greatly increasing the state’s risk for fraud, waste, and loss of funds. As a result, prepayments were made in violation of the Oklahoma Constitution and goods have still not been received for over $5.4 million paid by the state. "​
The second section of the audit report is focused on Oklahoma's purchasing process and purchasing laws.
"OSDH experienced numerous personnel changes within the administrative and finance divisions during the audit period. In addition to the two Interim Commissioners, the agency also had three different Chief Financial Officers during the audit period and a new Chief of Staff. With these significant changes, it is possible some of these individuals may have been unfamiliar with state purchasing laws. Purchases specifically in question were related to furniture, communication support, and OU Health Science Center Contracts, Saxum and Shyft Partners LLC.​
We performed an analysis of the agency’s miscellaneous expenditures for FY 18, FY 19, and FY 20 using the combining trial balance. For accounts with total expenditures exceeding $3 million and a 50% or more increase (see blue highlights below), we analyzed the details of account and followed up on outlying activities from year to year."​
The third and final section of the audit report examines salaries, in particular the salary of then-OSDH Commissioner Gary Cox, whose salary was raised from $215,188 to $335,160 on Jan. 1, 2021. The higher salary, according to the report, exceeded the state's maximum salary at the time, $322,782.
This place needs to be burned to the ground and rebuilt. This has been happening for at least 3 governors and at least recently someone is doing something about it

Sep 12, 2008
No mention about Stitt's state of the state speech?

Eliminating sales tax on groceries.

Eliminating income tax on military retirement.

Raising the cap on the amount they can put in the rainy day fund.

Flat budget.