Another former GOP to run against Stitt..

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 12, 2008
A Republican gubernatorial candidate on Tuesday renounced his political party and said he plans to challenge Gov. Kevin Stitt as an independent.

Dr. Ervin Yen, a former state senator and Oklahoma City anesthesiologist, criticized the Oklahoma Republican Party's opposition to COVID-19 mask and vaccine mandates and dismissed conservative conspiracy theories about widespread voter fraud in the 2020 presidential election, baseless claims that have been debunked.

“The Oklahoma GOP has left me," Yen said in a news release. "Seemingly, every other day, I receive a communication from the Party being rabidly opposed to mask mandates as well as COVID-19 vaccine mandates.

Splitting the vote.......

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/new...arty-amid-oklahoma-governors-race/8525553002/

Sep 12, 2008
I wonder if we can find stats for what percentage of ballots cast have "Straight party" checked.
Oklahoma State Election Board data shows that more than 710,200 — or 45.5% of all voters — chose the straight-party voting option during last year’s general election (Nov 2020).

Of those who selected the straight-ticket option last year, 71% were Republicans, 28% Democrats and Libertarians accounted for about 1%. Heading into the election, about 50% of Oklahoma registered voters were Republicans, 33% were Democrats, 16% were independents and less than 1% were libertarians.

Oklahoma is only 1 of 6 states that still allow this.

https://oklahomawatch.org/2021/01/2...d-should-oklahoma-end-straight-ticket-voting/

Feb 25, 2008
Not only should straight party voting be taken off the ballot, I sometimes think the (R), (D), (I), (incumbent) should be removed too. If you don't know the name of the person you want to vote for perhaps you shouldn't be voting for anyone.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Not only should straight party voting be taken off the ballot, I sometimes think the (R), (D), (I), (incumbent) should be removed too. If you don't know the name of the person you want to vote for perhaps you shouldn't be voting for anyone.
That would be great. This appears to be an election where ranked choice voting is best. Based on the discussion here it appears the choices will be a Republican running as a Democrat, a Republican running as an independent, and a Republican incumbent running as a Republican. To me that looks like chaos that benefits the incumbent. Ranked choice voting is perfect here for people that are uncomfortable with the current administration but worried that the next one will be worse.

It's not going to happen in a year so it's off the table but at the very least removing the straight party line and not putting a partisan mark on the ballot allows people to think about things a little more before handing in a rubber stamped ballot.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Oklahoma State Election Board data shows that more than 710,200 — or 45.5% of all voters — chose the straight-party voting option during last year’s general election (Nov 2020).

Of those who selected the straight-ticket option last year, 71% were Republicans, 28% Democrats and Libertarians accounted for about 1%. Heading into the election, about 50% of Oklahoma registered voters were Republicans, 33% were Democrats, 16% were independents and less than 1% were libertarians.

Oklahoma is only 1 of 6 states that still allow this.

https://oklahomawatch.org/2021/01/2...d-should-oklahoma-end-straight-ticket-voting/
I do not like straight party voters Sam I am.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Democrats would agree to it, but I don't see Republicans supporting getting rid of straight party voting, even it could be put on the ballot. Neither do I think anybody wants to petition for a vote on it. If Democrats could have seen what was coming, they would have tried to ban it.

Last edited:

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Never heard of him. This may be the most press he has ever received.
He was going to run against Stitt as a Republican. His constituents heard so much about him they didn't like that he got voted out of office in the 2018 primary. He was pro vaccine mandates and opposed legalizing medical marijuana. His loss helped convince Republican legislators to adopt a hands off approach to getting legalized medical marijuana implemented. Just let the state health dept. worry about it.