Assistant coaches contracts

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Will he really be losing that much, though? Let's look.

Gundy has said Brock Martin will come back next season to finish his Master's and I assume Tre Sterling would use a medical RS to return as well. Off the top of my head, the defense could return:

Brock Martin
Trace Ford
Tyler Lacy
Jayden Jernigan
Colin Oliver
Tre Sterling
Jason Taylor
Thomas Harper

And then young, promising/inexperienced players like:

Collin Clay
Aden Kelley
Kendal Daniels
Mason Cobb
Lamont Bishop
Jabarr Muhammad
Korie Black

The defense should be very good next year and, if they could get some quality transfers to bolster depth at LB and CB, potentially just as good.

The defensive line should be spectacular.
9 of our 11 starters on defense are seniors. I think our starters will be pretty good next year, but our depth will be inexperienced. There could be some growing pains if we don't stay healthy. There's a lot of talent stacked up though, so hopefully there won't be a big dropoff.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
9 of our 11 starters on defense are seniors. I think our starters will be pretty good next year, but our depth will be inexperienced. There could be some growing pains if we don't stay healthy. There's a lot of talent stacked up though, so hopefully there won't be a big dropoff.
Again, this assuming Knowles is back next season.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
We weren’t what we are now. And definitely didn’t get any national recognition.
Your memory's off here Donnie.

Miles took Simmons' wreckage, knocked off OU in epic fashion in '01. Fields, R. Woods & Tatum Bell led another defeat of OU the following year and a bowl win. Those three also led us to a narrow loss in the Cotton to Eli & Ole Miss. Alamo Bowl the following year.

There's absolutely no comparison to Knowles' HC resume at Cornell, which ended 12 years ago.

Nov 6, 2010
And Lacy is getting drafted this year, just look at the guy.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
Have there been any connections for his going elsewhere?
Oklahoma State needs to pay him now. There are some big jobs opening up/already open. USC and LSU right now. Not that Knowles would be a head coaching candidate for any job like that, but when those jobs come open it creates a cascade of openings as head coaches and coordinators get poached from a school just to have that school poach others and then the snowball continues to roll downhill. It’s not a stretch to think that the new head coach at USC or LSU likes what they see in Knowles, or an Auburn or Oregon or Ohio State needs a new DC and offers him nearly $2 million per season to come run his scheme with the bigger, faster guys they recruit at those football kingdoms.

Dec 16, 2019
Tulsa
Oklahoma State needs to pay him now. There are some big jobs opening up/already open. USC and LSU right now. Not that Knowles would be a head coaching candidate for any job like that, but when those jobs come open it creates a cascade of openings as head coaches and coordinators get poached from a school just to have that school poach others and then the snowball continues to roll downhill. It’s not a stretch to think that the new head coach at USC or LSU likes what they see in Knowles, or an Auburn or Oregon or Ohio State needs a new DC and offers him nearly $2 million per season to come run his scheme with the bigger, faster guys they recruit at those football kingdoms.
Totally agree, alot of the players seem to really like him as a coach. Would hope if this season continues the way it has that we would be more than willing to pay him what he wants, but if the past shows we don't really like to pony up the money for coordinators to stay here, so hope we change up our strategy with him.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
Totally agree, alot of the players seem to really like him as a coach. Would hope if this season continues the way it has that we would be more than willing to pay him what he wants, but if the past shows we don't really like to pony up the money for coordinators to stay here, so hope we change up our strategy with him.
That was under Holder. Hopefully Weinberg has a better head on his shoulders when it comes to paying coordinators.

Dec 11, 2011
Let's be honest; if some blue blood school wants to throw Clemson type dollars at him, and that's what he wants, we ain't keeping him.
If we up his salary to a fair amount for a great D coordinator at OSU, I'm good with it & it appears he's earned it. It won't be competitive with 2 million though (& I'd rather not mortgage the farm with budget crunch times we are in).
If he wants to be a HC & an offer comes along, we probably won't be able to throw enough at him for him to stay. Brent Venables/Clemson are the exception, not the rule.
I'd be disappointed if we don't throw a fair offer at him, but I think he'd be one to agree that right now the focus should be on Iowa State. Lotta goals still on the table, and there'll be plenty of time to hash out $$ if that's what his priority is later (if that were his priority NOW, I don't think we'd be seeing the results we are...).

Dec 2, 2008
SC
Feel free to weigh in @007Poke
Let's be honest; if some blue blood school wants to throw Clemson type dollars at him, and that's what he wants, we ain't keeping him.
If we up his salary to a fair amount for a great D coordinator at OSU, I'm good with it & it appears he's earned it. It won't be competitive with 2 million though (& I'd rather not mortgage the farm with budget crunch times we are in).
If he wants to be a HC & an offer comes along, we probably won't be able to throw enough at him for him to stay. Brent Venables/Clemson are the exception, not the rule.
I'd be disappointed if we don't throw a fair offer at him, but I think he'd be one to agree that right now the focus should be on Iowa State. Lotta goals still on the table, and there'll be plenty of time to hash out $$ if that's what his priority is later (if that were his priority NOW, I don't think we'd be seeing the results we are...).
he definitely deserves to be making over 1 million.

Feb 7, 2011
If anyone thinks OSU can get in a bidding war with the blue bloods I will ask them to SHOW US THE MONEY? We want to see it. We will gladly take the money and be the most successful program in college football history.