Assistant coaches contracts

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 2, 2008
SC
Make your case -
You know how to do that right - facts and ability to find the recourses to close the deal.
First fact: Are you a season ticket holder?
Make your case -
You know how to do that right - facts and ability to find the recourses to close the deal.
First fact: Are you a season ticket holder?
If the money is there, he deserves it. DC at both OU and Texas make over a million. I believe Knowles is making the same as Dunn which is just ludicrous. Brock Martin has even came out and said he deserves it. I’m sure most of players feel that way.
Make your case against it?

Jun 5, 2020
OKC
If the money is there, he deserves it. DC at both OU and Texas make over a million. I believe Knowles is making the same as Dunn which is just ludicrous. Brock Martin has even came out and said he deserves it. I’m sure most of players feel that way.
Make your case against it?
Ludicrous, you are the one championing a raise, I would like facts. Let me help you - find Universities that have our budget level for athletics, then find what the D coordinator makes - fact 2
First fact: Are you a season ticket holder? Unanswered, why it is a simple 2 or 3 letter tap on the phone or keyboard.
I will be unavailable the remainder of the evening. Cooking Halibut (that is fish) and celebrating my Sister's birthday.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
Ludicrous, you are the one championing a raise, I would like facts. Let me help you - find Universities that have our budget level for athletics, then find what the D coordinator makes - fact 2
First fact: Are you a season ticket holder? Unanswered, why it is a simple 2 or 3 letter tap on the phone or keyboard.
I will be unavailable the remainder of the evening. Cooking Halibut (that is fish) and celebrating my Sister's birthday.
I am not a season ticket holder as I am not able to attend games. Which is obviously going to be your fall back to this conversation. What is our budget level? That was the excuse Holder always used but it is well documented that he refused to pay over a certain amount because he felt that coordinators can just be easily replaced.

Dec 7, 2006
What is our budget level? That was the excuse Holder always used but it is well documented that he refused to pay over a certain amount because he felt that coordinators can just be easily replaced.
Athletic Department Revenues - USA Today

We're No. 43 in the country, beyond powerhouses such as Louisville, Virginia, and Mississippi State. We have $93.6m in revenues and $92.5m in expenses, so not much wiggle room for the AD. In short: Paying football coordinators million dollar salaries isn't out of the picture but it's not an option if we also want to pay assistant baseball coaches enough to stick around and keep Mike Boynton happy.

We're just not a money is no object kind of school. If you're looking for that, go be a Texas fan.

(And I'm all for doing whatever it takes to keep Knowles. I'm also a realist. If he wants a big paycheck, there are better places to get it than here.)

Dec 2, 2008
SC
Athletic Department Revenues - USA Today

We're No. 43 in the country, beyond powerhouses such as Louisville, Virginia, and Mississippi State. We have $93.6m in revenues and $92.5m in expenses, so not much wiggle room for the AD. In short: Paying football coordinators million dollar salaries isn't out of the picture but it's not an option if we also want to pay assistant baseball coaches enough to stick around and keep Mike Boynton happy.

We're just not a money is no object kind of school. If you're looking for that, go be a Texas fan.

(And I'm all for doing whatever it takes to keep Knowles. I'm also a realist. If he wants a big paycheck, there are better places to get it than here.)
That definitely hampers things. I’d hate to see him go, but if it means killing the other athletics to keep him. It’s not worth it.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Ludicrous is your contention that someone has to have season tickets to have an opinion on what might be good or necessary for OSU football. I don't think I've ever agreed with @donnieh on any other subject, but I believe he's right on this.

But first: yes, I am a season ticket holder for football, basketball and baseball. I drive an hour and 45 minutes each way for each event. I haven't missed a football home game in 12 years (and I lived in Houston area for 3 of those years, so the drive was nearly 9 hours each way). At one time I had 8 season tickets, which are now spread between family members as they aged/married. My "group," none of which had season tickets before I got them involved, now has a bloc of 18 seats together. I have approximately $6000 of tailgate gear (with significant contributions from others in the group). My wife, kids and I have been to 6 bowl games and my wife and I, plus others in our group, have been to away games at 7 of our 9 current conference mates.

None of that means crap in reality, but was just hoping it might meet your criteria for having an opinion.

If you don't think we should pay Knowles at/near $1 mil/year, you're out of your effing mind - in my opinion, of course. And I don't care if others in our budget range aren't doing so - we are competing far above most in our budget range, and can continue to do so with defense like we've seen from Knowles' group this season. Maybe we have to tighten our belts other places to come up with the difference, but it still needs to happen.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
If we continue winning you would think all of the coaches will get big raises. Both Dunn and Knowles as well as Gundy would deserve big raises, imho. Seems they are already making good money now, but if we begin winning Big 12 Championships consistently, other program will have interest in our coaches. Dunn had opportunities to go to Oregon but resisted the change and salary increase. Knowles, Dickey, and other coaches seem committed to staying at OSU regardless of money so they must like living in Stillwater. If they stick it out they will get raises.

Hopefully we sell out our remaining three-games generating additional money for pay raises. If we get to the CCG in Arlington the coaches will get bonuses and the athletic department increased money. If we get to Playoffs the program will get more money.

Apr 27, 2006
If anyone thinks OSU can get in a bidding war with the blue bloods I will ask them to SHOW US THE MONEY? We want to see it. We will gladly take the money and be the most successful program in college football history.
What Heart Smiles said. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Sep 6, 2014
LOL at LSU going after Knowles to be their head coach, whoever said that is delusional. However, I wouldn't be surprised at all if LSU comes after Gundy as one of their top choices

Apr 27, 2006
LOL at LSU going after Knowles to be their head coach, whoever said that is delusional. However, I wouldn't be surprised at all if LSU comes after Gundy as one of their top choices
I don't see LSU coming after Gundy his record against OU probably knocks him out of contention. Also doubt he would go, to much pressure to win there, doesn't have that pressure here. Make a bowl game all is good.

Sep 6, 2014
I don't see LSU coming after Gundy his record against OU probably knocks him out of contention. Also doubt he would go, to much pressure to win there, doesn't have that pressure here. Make a bowl game all is good.
I think Gundy is going to be mentioned in these big time job openings like USC, LSU and Florida if they end up firing Mullen, he is a proven winner who is also having a great year, and overachieving this season in the eyes of many. Not sure if he will leave or not but I expect the rumors to be flying, especially if we beat Iowa State this week. If the Florida job opens that will legitimately worry me that he would actually bolt

Dec 2, 2008
SC
I doubt they come after Knowles, I’m just worried of the domino effect of all the positions that are opening up.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
His name has already been mentioned in passing. Not as much as Aranda, Fickell and both Stoops

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Haha, it's always easy to spend other peoples money. I had season tickets for football and basketball and donated to the baseball program but gave them all up a few years ago. Not that any of that matters. Yes, Knowle's definitely deserves a raise. For those that can't attend they can always donate. If 50,000 could donate $20 it would take care of raises for all the assistants. Skin in the game and all that.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Will he really be losing that much, though? Let's look.

Gundy has said Brock Martin will come back next season to finish his Master's and I assume Tre Sterling would use a medical RS to return as well. Off the top of my head, the defense could return:

Brock Martin
Trace Ford
Tyler Lacy
Jayden Jernigan
Colin Oliver
Tre Sterling
Jason Taylor
Thomas Harper

And then young, promising/inexperienced players like:

Collin Clay
Aden Kelley
Kendal Daniels
Mason Cobb
Lamont Bishop
Jabarr Muhammad
Korie Black

The defense should be very good next year and, if they could get some quality transfers to bolster depth at LB and CB, potentially just as good.

The defensive line should be spectacular.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Yes please. May I have some more?

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
https://adminfinance.okstate.edu/financial-statements.html
OSU's football ticket sales revenue by year:
2014: $18.5M
2015: $16.3M
2016: $17.8M
2017: $14.9M
2018: $11.8M
2019: $10.4M
2020: $10.5M

Success plays a big part in driving ticket sales revenue in any program. We're making roughly $8 million less per year now than we were during the peak of the Gundy era. Letting a popular coordinator like Knowles leave over a few hundred thousand could end up costing us millions in potential revenue.

I'm a diehard fan and I'll have season tickets regardless of success level. A lot of people don't fall into this category though, and we need everyone to fill BPS consistently.