1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Athlon: Are Mike Gundy's Cowboys true contenders for the College Football Playoff?

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by CasperPoke11, Jul 6, 2017.

1. CasperPoke11

CasperPoke11 The Car'a'carn
    Staff A/V Subscriber

Once again, Oklahoma State made it to the final game of the season in 2016 with a chance to win the Big 12. Just like the year before, the Cowboys came away with a second-place finish.

The Pokes should find themselves in contention for the league title again in 2017. The Mason Rudolph-to-James Washington connection gives them the best quarterback-wide receiver combo of any offense in the nation. Meanwhile, the passing game is backed up by up-and-coming sophomore Justice Hill at running back and an offensive line that seems poised to take a step forward.

Do the Cowboys have the goods to make a run at the College Football Playoff? Athlon Sports polled a few writers to get their take on Oklahoma State’s realistic 2017 win/loss projection.

Oklahoma State Football Game-by-Game Predictions for 2017
    [​IMG]

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/oklahoma-state-football-game-game-predictions-2017#.WV5neebD_SA.twitter

• Like Like x 1
  2. OSUMIKE17

OSUMIKE17 Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
    A/V Subscriber

I'll say it again. I have no idea what these writers are thinking about WV. I'm not sure they've checked on everyone they've lost from last season.

• Like Like x 3
  3. CasperPoke11

CasperPoke11 The Car'a'carn
    Staff A/V Subscriber

I think you could say the same about the people picking us to lose to Tech. Their defense will be worse and they lost most of their passing game with Mahomes and all the receivers that have left.

• Like Like x 7
  4. OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber

Agreed. But only one person picked the Tech game as a loss....which is still laughable. But The majority have us losing to WV and I just don't get it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. osupsycho

osupsycho Deputy

WVU is a bit of a trap game so I can see some picking us to lose that one. It is sandwiched between a road game at UT and what should be our toughest game against OU. Plus its in Morgantown which can be a difficult place to play. WVU should have a decent to good QB and I can see us losing that one much more than losing to TTU.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal

I like it that Athlons has us winning all but 2 games and those two are basically a toss up in their analysis minds (we are almost always underrated by these mags). @WVU is a tough spot to play...but we should NOT lose that game, and OU @home with a new head coach better be a win. This is the first year that I believe I've ever picked us to go undefeated in the regular season...but I think it's very possible...maybe for the first time in my life. I think we will be favored on game day of every single game we play with the possible exception of the semi early game at WVU.

Games of concern in order are:

1. OU @home...but they have a new coach and it's early so I expect a win here. 60% OSU win.
    2. WVU on the road...we have had their number but they play great ball at home. I think we win this even if it's a crazy night game because I doubt they will be able to match up offensively with us. 65% OSU win.
    3. Texas on the road...new coach and new excitement in Austin...but we haven't lost in Austin in a long time and I don't see this being the team to do so. 70% OSU win
    4. Pitt on the road...a salty team who had us on the ropes last year with lots of players returning...Still I think we win. 71% OSU win
    5. KSU @home...Snyder is a great coach and this is rumored to be his last stand...he has a good core returning and we had to come back on the road to beat them last year...looked bad until the fourth quarter which is interesting considering it's a Snyder team. 72% OSU win
    6. Baylor @home...They have had our number but they have a new staff and likely just aren't going to be as good. 75% OSU win
    7. ISU on the road...crazy games happen in Iowa and we had to pull off an epic come back last year in a clunker of a game early. 78% OSU win
    8. TU @home...First game out of the gate...TU's coach scares me. 80% OSU win
    9. South Bama road.. 85% OSU win
    10. TCU @home...This low...yep, IMHO. 90% OSU win
    11. KU home...they will be improved but not in Stillwater for the final game of the season...we can't overlook to the Championship so we won't... 99% OSU win

#6 Rack, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  7. newpoke

newpoke Deputy

The painful part would be to finally go undefeated, then lose in the championship game to a team we've already beaten.

• Sad Sad x 1
  8. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal

That's what I expected prior to Stoops retirement...now I think we will go undefeated and play someone else...whom I think it's much more likely we will beat a second time...but, you are correct, that would be so "us."

9. OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber

I can't buy a trap game when it's WV. Iowa State or KU? Okay. But not WV.

They'll have a decent QB but a brand new O-line, receivers, and defense.

I just don't see it unless we make a ton of mistakes.

10. bixbyosu

bixbyosu Deputy

Nothing wrong with dreaming!

• Like Like x 1
  11. TexanCowboy

TexanCowboy Cowboy

2013...we had no business losing that game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  12. pokieokie

pokieokie Cowboy

Might be a dumb question, but - are we knocked out of the playoff if we go undefeated and lose the Big12 champ game?

13. Poke4Christ

Poke4Christ Federal Marshal

depends on the rest of the league, but I would say likely yes. If there are not 4 one loss or better champions we could easily still be in though.

14. OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber

We had a terrible O-line and no running game at the time. Also a very sporadic passing game as well.

Totally different.

• Like Like x 1
  15. fathermark46

fathermark46 Wrangler

I love the optimism and hope we have the wins as shown. If the2 games are toss ups, then we should split making us 12-1. Two losses leaves us out of the playoffs. We might get in w/1 loss. I certainly would like to be in the playoffs. I want to believe but feel we probably won't get in the playoffs.

16. OSU1994

OSU1994 Cowboy

no doubt about this.

17. OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber

So if every other P5 conference champ has two or more losses and we only have one there's no doubt that we still won't make the playoff?

Okay, guy.

18. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

I'll play along and give my %'s just to compare and contrast. These are all the likelihood of an OSU win.

OU 60%
    @WVU 60%
    @UT 65%
    @Pitt 75%
    KSU 75%
    Baylor 90% - I could be on the 2 deep for their O-line
    @ISU 90% - We won't get caught off guard
    TU 85%
    @South Bama 85%
    TCU - 75%
    KU - 99% - rounded down. May be the only game I'm not stressed about all year.

Big 12 Championship game against OU 40%

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal

I don't think, maybe more of a hope, that we play OU in the championship game...otherwise I agree with your assessment...If we do and lose to them it would, however, be so much "us."

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal

The ONLY way we get into the playoff with one loss is if it's NOT in the Big 12 Championship game and that we actually avenge the one loss during the season in the Championship game. IMHO. Just don't think a team like us can be place in the four team playoff with any loss that is not avenged...Just don't have a big enough market share in terms of televisions and fans...Yep, it's a business and we are still on the outside looking in without a once in a lifetime remarkable undefeated season...Sucks...but it's reality.