ATS from Barstool sports...not to shabby Pokes!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
So this means . . . . . . better underestimated the Pokes ? How is that a good thing ?
Not sure why you have such a bitter outlook…

We’re #2 on the list with Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, and Oklahoma… in football… and you’re going to sit here and try to spin it as a bad thing?

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Not being a downer, just asking a real question.

How does how you do against the spread tell you anything about your program ?

You could win ALL your games and still be the worst in ATS. I'd take that.

ATS data may help betters decide to place a bet or not, but I can't see anything logical that says you want to be high on this list or not.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX

ATS data may help betters decide to place a bet or not, but I can't see anything logical that says you want to be high on this list or not.
Look at it this way: any list that has to do with success and is ~70% bluebloods, you want to be on.

If that doesn't work for you, would you rather be on the OTHER end of the spectrum, of the 10 teams that most struggled to cover the spread?

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa

If you are amongst the top in ATE that means that you are consistently outperforming expectations.

Sports books on the macro level are VERY good at the spread. The ultimate goal for a sports book is to get equal money on both sides of the bet so the losers pay the winners and the house gets its cut. So they set the line to entice betting on both sides. When it’s lopsided, the house is at risk that’s why they move the line with the money.

So if the line is “expectation” even if that expectation is for you to lose you’re either going to outperform or underperform.
Outperforming is usually better in sports.

Again, if you’re really wondering if it’s good a thing, look at the company…..

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010

If you are amongst the top in ATE that means that you are consistently outperforming expectations.

Sports books on the macro level are VERY good at the spread. The ultimate goal for a sports book is to get equal money on both sides of the bet so the losers pay the winners and the house gets its cut. So they set the line to entice betting on both sides. When it’s lopsided, the house is at risk that’s why they move the line with the money.

So if the line is “expectation” even if that expectation is for you to lose you’re either going to outperform or underperform.
Outperforming is usually better in sports.

Again, if you’re really wondering if it’s good a thing, look at the company…..
Perhaps he’s just wondering why the expectations of Vegas lines makers is somehow relevant. Especially since a victory on the field can still be a loss against the spread.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Perhaps he’s just wondering why the expectations of Vegas lines makers is somehow relevant. Especially since a victory on the field can still be a loss against the spread.
A victory on the field cannot be a loss ATS. If you’re picking ATS you’re picking the underdog to win outright or lose by less than the spread.

If you can’t see how overachieving overachieving expectations, even when expectation is still a loss isn’t a good thing, I’m not sure, what to tell you.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Not sure why you have such a bitter outlook…

We’re #2 on the list with Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, and Oklahoma… in football… and you’re going to sit here and try to spin it as a bad thing?
Actually we are tied with Ohio State for #1 on that list. But I digress. ;-) Have a great one!!! Go Pokes!

Nov 29, 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma
A victory on the field cannot be a loss ATS. If you’re picking ATS you’re picking the underdog to win outright or lose by less than the spread.

If you can’t see how overachieving overachieving expectations, even when expectation is still a loss isn’t a good thing, I’m not sure, what to tell you.
A victory on the field can be a loss ATS. You’re favored by 3.5 and win by 3. You lost against the spread by .5 but still won the game.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
A victory on the field can be a loss ATS. You’re favored by 3.5 and win by 3. You lost against the spread by .5 but still won the game.
Betting against the spread is simply choosing the underdog.

Failure to cover the spread is not a loss ATS.

Oct 11, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK

Yes, it is.

A team's record against the spread means whether they covered or not.

You can lose and still cover the spread. You can win and not cover the spread.

EDIT: For example, OSU was 10-3-1 against the spread last year. You'll notice we won more than 10 games.

Nov 29, 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma

I laid out an example for you but alright.

Betting the money line is choosing a straight up winner. You can bet the spread either way. If the team you’re playing is a 3.5 point underdog you’re a 3.5 point favorite... If you bet that the favorite will cover the spread you’re saying they’ll win by at least 4 points. If you still think otherwise don’t bother quoting me.