Avery Anderson Declares for Draft

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
That dude is a perfect example of someone who could greatly improve their draft status after they spend at least one more year in college. He will/would be the go to guy next year.

Aug 31, 2016
Wichita,Ks
More than likely he's just doing this for feedback on what to improve on in his game. Likekele and other players have done the same thing. Will probably be back for another year.

Oct 30, 2007
https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/?year-mock=2022

Avery Anderson is projected as a 1st round pick in the 2022 draft. He probably could get drafted in the 2nd round this year if a team likes him enough. I think he would benefit greatly from another year though. He could work his way into a lottery pick if he plays well, and the odds of making it long term in the NBA as a lottery pick are much higher than as a 2nd round draft pick.

We'll have to keep our fingers crossed and hope he comes back. One thing's for sure, Coach Boynton and this staff better keep recruiting and hitting the transfer portal hard.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I think it may be more about getting graded and hearing from multiple sources what they think he needs to work on.
This was my first thought. Guys like him are a dime a dozen in the NBA. G League or Europe is his ultimate future. I wish him well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
I think it may be more about getting graded and hearing from multiple sources what they think he needs to work on.
This was my first thought. Guys like him are a dime a dozen in the NBA. G League or Europe is his ultimate future. I wish him well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
He has the skill set and size to stick in the nba. I could see him having a pro career much like Jason Terry. He definitely needs another year of college to try to improve and become a 1st round pick. Him declaring without an agent is the real world equivalent of applying for and getting an interview that you’re not quite ready for, but aspire to be one day. He’ll get the interview questions and feedback and go back to his original job.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
He’s a great penetrator and on-ball defender. I like his toughness, quickness and agility. Great if he gets drafted and we have more Cowboys in the Association and frees up another scholarship for us.

Having NBA level talent is one of those good problems.

Wish him nothing but the best! Go Pokes!

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
I'd be stunned if he hires an agent. This seems like an obvious attempt to get some feedback from NBA scouts.

He's not ready for the NBA right now. He's a two-way guy at best. He needs to fix his jumpshot, tighten his handle, and gain a little more strength.

I think he'll be in the league soon enough, though. Hopefully he can use their feedback and develop his game some more in the offseason.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Jan 7, 2008
At this point he is fringe lottery for 2022. So this is not about getting to the league, it's about getting drafted as high as possible. He showed flashes of what he could do since his freshman year. His problem was that he was like a Ferrari stuck in 6th gear. Once he learned to control it a little bit, he started to shine. If he plays anywhere near the level he played at the last half of the season, he will go lottery.

Jul 9, 2004
can't imagine what his "family" told him that convinced him to put his name in the draft? his "advisor"? sure. his "family"? i had to laugh.

Mar 11, 2006
He has the skill set and size to stick in the nba. I could see him having a pro career much like Jason Terry. He definitely needs another year of college to try to improve and become a 1st round pick. Him declaring without an agent is the real world equivalent of applying for and getting an interview that you’re not quite ready for, but aspire to be one day. He’ll get the interview questions and feedback and go back to his original job.
Jason Terry is an excellent comparison.

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
can't imagine what his "family" told him that convinced him to put his name in the draft? his "advisor"? sure. his "family"? i had to laugh.
He actually comes from a really great family. It is good advice to go through the process, without an agent. I bet Boynton supports the decision too. As a coach you can tell your players one thing, but if they get real, truthfully, brutally honest feedback from the real world it can only mean more. Anderson will be back in Stillwater next year, so no need for anyone to over react about this news.

Jul 9, 2004
He actually comes from a really great family. It is good advice to go through the process, without an agent. I bet Boynton supports the decision too. As a coach you can tell your players one thing, but if they get real, truthfully, brutally honest feedback from the real world it can only mean more. Anderson will be back in Stillwater next year, so no need for anyone to over react about this news.
this has nothing to do with his family telling him anything most likely. its because someone outside (could have even been boynton) the family is advising him to do this to see what grade he gets. he isn't going to get drafted. but he will find out other info that could help him in the future. it wasn't a knock on his family.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Wonder how much the uncertainty of the ncaa appeal plays in this.

I thought you could get feedback from the nba regarding your chances without declaring. Smart not hiring an agent but seems he's pretty determined to go. I wish him luck, but I agree with others, he could be a textbook case of improving you status with another year.

Also wonder how this impacts the decision of the guard from Arizona that has us in his final five and/or a big name transfer.