B12 Wrestling

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
Man, I love Surber and the effort he puts forth and he’s a damn good wrestler. That guy outweighed him by 30+ pounds. He’s going to be a great one for us before he leaves. Rob Glass needs to help him get about 20 to 25 more pounds on him and he’ll be an animal!
Once he gains weight he will be very good. His gas tank is second to none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
You would think they would adapt scoring as points from winning championship at your weight would be weighted higher. OU didn’t win any today and seems ISU and MO only one one Championship whereas OSU won three.

Hopefully we do better in the NCAA tournament.

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
You would think they would adapt scoring as points from winning championship at your weight would be weighted higher. OU didn’t win any today and seems ISU and MO only one one Championship whereas OSU won three.

Hopefully we do better in the NCAA tournament.
Ou had 10 people wrestling today, we had 7. 7 of their guys finished in top 8. Like 5 of ours did.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Ou had 10 people wrestling today, we had 7. 7 of their guys finished in top 8. Like 5 of ours did.

I was referring to the Championship matches having increased importance regarding points. From my perspective under current format it would not be a typical Team Championship as individual weight championship carries the same overall value as preliminary or consolation wins. There needs to be a fair system of determining overall team champion such as the top four to six teams have team matches in a single elimination tournament similar to other Big 12 Championship tournaments. Under the current system it would not actually be a team championship but individual wins artificially factored into a team championship. It’s a truncated system of determination of a team champion rather than using a tournament format where teams play other teams in a elimination tournament. By allowing consolation wins to influence team Champions you do not get a true team champion. To get a true team champion you would need either a team elimination tournament or for final matches points are at zero to begin final match play and the team with the most points in the final match is the outright team champion. Under current system you reward average to mediocre performance using consolation round to be equal to individual championship performance in a watered down system resulting in overall misleading results.

Last edited:

sportsfan89

Territorial Marshal
Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
Man, I love Surber and the effort he puts forth and he’s a damn good wrestler. That guy outweighed him by 30+ pounds. He’s going to be a great one for us before he leaves. Rob Glass needs to help him get about 20 to 25 more pounds on him and he’ll be an animal!

is Rob Glass the strength and conditioning coach for all sports? Or just football?

Nov 23, 2010
I was referring to the Championship matches having increased importance regarding points. From my perspective under current format it would not be a typical Team Championship as individual weight championship carries the same overall value as preliminary or consolation wins. There needs to be a fair system of determining overall team champion such as the top four to six teams have team matches in a single elimination tournament similar to other Big 12 Championship tournaments. Under the current system it would not actually be a team championship but individual wins artificially factored into a team championship. It’s a truncated system of determination of a team champion rather than using a tournament format where teams play other teams in a elimination tournament. By allowing consolation wins to influence team Champions you do not get a true team champion. To get a true team champion you would need either a team elimination tournament or for final matches points are at zero to begin final match play and the team with the most points in the final match is the outright team champion. Under current system you reward average to mediocre performance using consolation round to be equal to individual championship performance in a watered down system resulting in overall misleading results.
Championship matches do have increased importance? You get 1 advancement point for any win on the championship side vs .5 on the consolation side. You get 16 points for placing first and on down to 3 for 8th.

Teams aren't all made up of elite guys and factoring in those points make way more sense to me than whatever it is you're proposing here.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Championship matches do have increased importance? You get 1 advancement point for any win on the championship side vs .5 on the consolation side. You get 16 points for placing first and on down to 3 for 8th.

Teams aren't all made up of elite guys and factoring in those points make way more sense to me than whatever it is you're proposing here.
Only been going to OSU wrestling last two years so still learning. The points do not seem to change regardless of consolation or championship from my novice review. Another negative from my perspective is all the small college no name schools in Big 12 Wrestling. I would only have Big 12 Conference Schools. My guess is this will change with BYU, UCF, Cinn, and Hou entering conference. Then I would kick out the small schools and Missouri. Mistake to allow a school who leave conference then allow them to return.

OkstateKerr

Federal Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Only been going to OSU wrestling last two years so still learning. The points do not seem to change regardless of consolation or championship from my novice review. Another negative from my perspective is all the small college no name schools in Big 12 Wrestling. I would only have Big 12 Conference Schools. My guess is this will change with BYU, UCF, Cinn, and Hou entering conference. Then I would kick out the small schools and Missouri. Mistake to allow a school who leave conference then allow them to return.
If we didn't allow those schools in there wouldn't be Big 12 wrestling. There aren't enough member schools that have the sport. Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Iowa State, West Virginia. 4 team conference with very limited autoqualifying bids to the NCAA championships without the other schools.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
None of the new schools have wrestling teams.

Nov 23, 2010
After realignment, only OSU, ISU and WVU would have wrestling. The NCAA isn't going to grant a waiver to those three schools to be a qualifier. It is in the Big 12's interest to keep Mizzou, and OU when the time comes, in the conference for wrestling. As your post implies, it brings prestige to have them in the conference as opposed to the smaller affiliate members. And if we're going to have affiliate members, the more the better because it's going to do more to prepare our guys for nationals. It is unlikely that wrestling ever came up for Mizzou or OU during realignment and hurt feelings about it shouldn't dictate the response regarding wrestling.