Basketball Off-season Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 27, 2008
St. Peter's made it to the Elite 8 this year. Good coaches find a way.

Every thread about Mike Boyton's teams have become a list of excuses and reasons why we aren't going to win.
I don't think there are any excuses this year that I know of. Which is why I think it will be such an exciting season. We have a mature and talented roster. We haven't talked about expectations much, but I think we should be aiming for a Sweet16 run with this many experienced upperclassmen.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2011
I don't think there are any excuses this year that I know of. Which is why I think it will be such an exciting season. We have a mature and talented roster. We haven't talked about expectations much, but I think we should be aiming for a Sweet16 run with this many experienced upperclassmen.
This. Obviously have to prove it. But there should be expectations. I was thinking yesterday we will probably be picked around 6th in the big 12?
1-2: Baylor/Kansas until proven otherwise
3-4: Texas/Texas texh
5: TCU
6: Osu
7-8: WV/Iowa state
9: Ou
10: Kansas state

If everything clicks we could challenge for 3rd. It’s not a guarantee but you want to be in the mix there. You want to battle tech and Texas and whoever is hot down the stretch gets the nod.

Sep 23, 2010
This. Obviously have to prove it. But there should be expectations. I was thinking yesterday we will probably be picked around 6th in the big 12?
1-2: Baylor/Kansas until proven otherwise
3-4: Texas/Texas texh
5: TCU
6: Osu
7-8: WV/Iowa state
9: Ou
10: Kansas state

If everything clicks we could challenge for 3rd. It’s not a guarantee but you want to be in the mix there. You want to battle tech and Texas and whoever is hot down the stretch gets the nod.
My head is spinning from the portal so it's hard for me to forecast the Big 12 at this point.

Tulley

Wrangler
Feb 27, 2018
IA
I want to believe in this team just like every year obviously, but this team has to figure out a rhythm on offense early on or the confidence is going to suffer if we get beat by the Oaklands of the world again.

We are going to have guys that can shoot, I believe that. Our shooting % will be a lot better. I think Wright and Asberry will be huge contributors for our offense and will have a lot to do with how far we go.

Sep 23, 2010
Do we think next year's roster is better than last year's roster? Maybe in terms of fit but maybe in not in terms of talent? AA has until June 1 to pull out of draft. He's not on anyone's radar, so hopefully he's back. He will be one of the top returners in the league based on last year's award winners. With roster for next year, it appear we will be leaning heavily on AA and Bryce to make things happen for us from a playmaking perspective.

Aug 19, 2006
Do we think next year's roster is better than last year's roster? Maybe in terms of fit but maybe in not in terms of talent? AA has until June 1 to pull out of draft. He's not on anyone's radar, so hopefully he's back. He will be one of the top returners in the league based on last year's award winners. With roster for next year, it appear we will be leaning heavily on AA and Bryce to make things happen for us from a playmaking perspective.
Moussa has another year of development under his belt. If he takes a big step forward and Kalib reverts back to his best version, we should be better.

A lot depends on whether HCMB can find clearly defined roles for all the rotational guys and improve our continuity. If he improves there, I expect this team to be significantly improved.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I mean, the 3 most talented players are back and another year older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 14, 2011
Moussa has another year of development under his belt. If he takes a big step forward and Kalib reverts back to his best version, we should be better.

A lot depends on whether HCMB can find clearly defined roles for all the rotational guys and improve our continuity. If he improves there, I expect this team to be significantly improved.
Clearly defined roles and, more-so, a consistent rotation SHOULD help a good bit. However, I am still very concerned with the A/T ratio without a solid PG running the show. We had guys getting some open looks last year but the quality of the incoming passes were hot garbage in many many cases. IE at their shins, over their heads, etc. Crisp ball movement is not one of Boynton's fortes.

Jan 5, 2011
That talent might have been shooting 19% from the 3 point line late in the 2nd half. I’m ok having the top playmakers back and someone who can hit open shots on the perimeter. College basketball is about putting together a roster that addresses everything. On paper more of those boxes are checked this year. But no go to pg it looks like

Jan 5, 2011
Asperry and Harrison at 38/39% 3 point shooters and long players fill obvious needs on paper. John Michael Wright is the biggest wait and see guy. Small so we don’t know if he will translate. I did come across this clip of him last night and it does show him finding open teammates and setting up his bigs for easy dunks. Yes, competition level, but also, he’s on the same roster as cisse and Kalib now.

https://twitter.com/transfertapes/status/1518585487723741186?s=21&t=RIY2mEGO35X7ieg9qs3RdQ

Sep 23, 2010

We only have 12 schollies it looks like this year, and two of them are Harris and Kouma who have not been real rotation players. So, that gets us down to 10 players. So that right that might make it easier unless Harris comes out of nowhere with a great leap in health and production.

It definitely feels like we are putting playmaking on AA and Bryce T. Cisse, Smith and Boone seem to have a monopoly on the big minutes. It will be a question if two of them play at the same time or not. And I guess we're hopeful the transfers emerge as quality additions and shot makers.