Basketball Off-season Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

PistolPete'sMustache

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK

I believe it is much more important to get team players and complimentary pieces than shooting for all 5 stars, which we don't typically get them like the Kentucky's or Kansas' of the world. So we need the team guys that hustle and fit what we're trying to do.
I'll never understand the debbie downers around here. Guys who excel at mid-major programs have just as much potential at exceling in the P-5 as a 4 or 5 star player who excels in high school. Both are making a jump to a higher level of play. Some work out, others don't. This idea that mid-major players can't make the jump is so asinine, it happens all the time, just as often as a 4 star player being average or bad.

Sep 23, 2010
I'll never understand the debbie downers around here. Guys who excel at mid-major programs have just as much potential at exceling in the P-5 as a 4 or 5 star player who excels in high school. Both are making a jump to a higher level of play. Some work out, others don't. This idea that mid-major players can't make the jump is so asinine, it happens all the time, just as often as a 4 star player being average or bad.
I agree with you, and I don't think that our current transfers will necessarily bust. They seem to fit our needs. And two them seem to have good athletic ability as well. Like you said, a 4-star can bust as well.

But High Point, ULM and Texas State are not mid-major schools. Their conference champs are coming in as 14-16 seeds in the tournament. Wichita State is a midmajor school. Tulsa is a midmajor school. UMass is a midmajor school. And ULM and High Point were bad lowmajor schools this past season.

ORU had about as good of season as any lowmajor in quite some time a couple years back, and Obanor was a complete stud 20&10 guy. He was a 10&6 in the big 12. He was the best of the best in low major competition. And by all accounts, turned out to be a really good pick up for Tech.

No doubt these guys can work out to be really good solid players here. Fit and translatable skill matter. The thing our transfers have in their favor is their age and experience.

Nov 6, 2010
I agree with you, and I don't think that our current transfers will necessarily bust. They seem to fit our needs. And two them seem to have good athletic ability as well. Like you said, a 4-star can bust as well.

But High Point, ULM and Texas State are not mid-major schools. Their conference champs are coming in as 14-16 seeds in the tournament. Wichita State is a midmajor school. Tulsa is a midmajor school. UMass is a midmajor school. And ULM and High Point were bad lowmajor schools this past season.

ORU had about as good of season as any lowmajor in quite some time a couple years back, and Obanor was a complete stud 20&10 guy. He was a 10&6 in the big 12. He was the best of the best in low major competition. And by all accounts, turned out to be a really good pick up for Tech.

No doubt these guys can work out to be really good solid players here. Fit and translatable skill matter. The thing our transfers have in their favor is their age and experience.

I'd add that expectations are also in their favor. It's not like we're looking to add high major size, athleticism and playmaking ability, we've already got that on the roster. We're looking for knockdown shooters without being a tremendous liability on defense, along with maybe some additional ball handling and late game free throw shooting ability.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009

I had the same thoughts. For example, JMW averaged 18+ a game at High Point. I checked that against the best competition they played last year, Michigan State and Kentucky. He didn't get to 18 either time but he was in double figures. Quite possible he didn't have much help and the UK game was a complete blow out so not sure how much you can read into it.

That said, Asbury looks athletic but not rushed like Rondel or MAM always did, Harrison seems to have a stroke and all three hit shots off the bounce which is something this team has been woefully lacking. Guess we'll see.

Sep 23, 2010
I had the same thoughts. For example, JMW averaged 18+ a game at High Point. I checked that against the best competition they played last year, Michigan State and Kentucky. He didn't get to 18 either time but he was in double figures. Quite possible he didn't have much help and the UK game was a complete blow out so not sure how much you can read into it.

That said, Asbury looks athletic but not rushed like Rondel or MAM always did, Harrison seems to have a stroke and all three hit shots off the bounce which is something this team has been woefully lacking. Guess we'll see.
Not only competition has to be considered but usage rate as well. All their usage rates will likely go down playing on a team with better teammates.

Sep 23, 2010
He’ll be back. His name doesn’t come up in any single mock draft, write ups, tweets, or anywhere else. He hasn’t generated any buzz at the draft workouts.
I was feeling good but I saw Damion Baugh from TCU is still pursuing pro, so you never know if a kid just doesn't like school. And I doubt AA is getting much NIL.

Dec 21, 2008
He tweeted about an orange turf on a Twitter note about football stadium and said he liked orange the best. If he’s leaving I don’t see him engaging in an osu poll

Jan 6, 2007
Jackson Hole, WY

Comparison: take a look at Adam Flagler......just decided to return to Baylor and not pursue NBA, yet.....transferred from Presbyterian. Baylor has had several other small school transfers work out well.....so, it is very possible to gain excellent players from smaller schools w/lesser competition. Hope our three fit in that catagory!

Sep 23, 2010
Comparison: take a look at Adam Flagler......just decided to return to Baylor and not pursue NBA, yet.....transferred from Presbyterian. Baylor has had several other small school transfers work out well.....so, it is very possible to gain excellent players from smaller schools w/lesser competition. Hope our three fit in that catagory!
No doubt it can happen. Duncan Robinson was a division 3 player I believe. Went to Michigan and was playing for the Miami Heat last night. I'm hoping for Kendall Smith type impact from at least a couple of them.

Mar 27, 2008
No doubt it can happen. Duncan Robinson was a division 3 player I believe. Went to Michigan and was playing for the Miami Heat last night. I'm hoping for Kendall Smith type impact from at least a couple of them.
I wish I could go back and watch film of old games. I remember Kendall Smith hitting some huge game winning shots that season. Everyone remembers Cade Cunningham hitting game winners and clutch shots, but if I remember correctly Kendall Smith hit some monster shots when the game was on the line. He had that clutch gene that Cade has. Smith could play and wasn't afraid of the bright lights. I think he wasn't satisfied just getting to the Big12 but wanted to make an impact and show he could play. Transfers like Flavors I think were just satisfied with getting here and couldn't handle the bright lights of a bigger stage.

Sep 23, 2010
I wish I could go back and watch film of old games. I remember Kendall Smith hitting some huge game winning shots that season. Everyone remembers Cade Cunningham hitting game winners and clutch shots, but if I remember correctly Kendall Smith hit some monster shots when the game was on the line. He had that clutch gene that Cade has. Smith could play and wasn't afraid of the bright lights. I think he wasn't satisfied just getting to the Big12 but wanted to make an impact and show he could play. Transfers like Flavors I think were just satisfied with getting here and couldn't handle the bright lights of a bigger stage.
Hard to know if it's mentality, fit or talent.

Good transfers in MB era --
Cisse, Thompson, Kendall Smith

Solid --
Laurant, Tyreek Smith, Bryce Williams

Started off ok but then crashed and burned--
Weathers, Cunningham (kid from SC State or something like that)

OK but just not good enough--
Jones, tranfer from Indiana, Newton so far

Bad --
Flavors

Am I missing any others?

Mar 27, 2008
Hard to know if it's mentality, fit or talent.

Good transfers in MB era --
Cisse, Thompson, Kendall Smith

Solid --
Laurant, Tyreek Smith, Bryce Williams

Started off ok but then crashed and burned--
Weathers, Cunningham (kid from SC State or something like that)

OK but just not good enough--
Jones, tranfer from Indiana, Newton so far

Bad --
Flavors

Am I missing any others?
Very true

It is a good list. I can't think of any others.

Mar 27, 2008
Another thing that makes Kendall Smith's game winning shots more memorable I think was it was with packed arenas 15k fans screaming in his face. Not to take anything away from Cade, but his year here was during covid and there were no fans.

Sep 23, 2010
Very true

It is a good list. I can't think of any others.
Coach Sutton's list is pretty amazing just off the top my head. Pre-portal even. He wasn't perfect. There were some big duds in there. But man, a lot of winners, all big 12 guys and NBA players.

D1 transfers -- Sean Sutton, Brooks Thompson, Robisch, Doug Gottlieb, Victor Williams, Joey Graham, Stevie Graham, Daniel Bobik, John Lucas III, Jason Miler

JC Guys -- Andre Owens, Randy Rutherford, Brian Montenati, Moe Baker, Melvin Sanders, Tony Allen, Janover Weatherspoon

The transfer market is obviously a lot more competitive these days. And NIL this year is making the transfer market even more unusual and challenging.

PistolPete'sMustache

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
And if only one of the three transfers hits, that's probably good enough.