Basketball Off-season Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2010
Just ask his Adidas reps Jim Gatto and Merl Code how good he has been.
I don't need to. The record books tell me that. I sure hope Boynton doesn't take this stance. If that's the case, he won't be very successful. Trying to compare and cry about everyone else won't get you anywhere. Seeing success and understanding it is the better path.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I will never understand the OSU fans who defend him. Has any alum turned their back on the university as big as he has? Nothing loyal and true about actively working against and paying recruits illegally all while your alma mater is banned from post season play for something minuscule in comparison.
Just curious, what actions do you expect him to take?

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I think we have an insane recruiting class for 23-24 simply because we’ll all the minutes in the world to offer. Guys rated that high want to play and we will have all the minutes they’ll be able to handle.
That is a logical assumption. What scares me though is we've had our only commitment from that class de-commit.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Honesty would be nice, but that is a pipe dream for someone who sold his soul years ago for personal glory. They don't grow 'em like Mr Iba any longer.
How would him cooperating with the NCAA and admitting everything to them, (after we proved it was the worst thing to do) help OSU in any way. We were still going to get the same punishment.

Look at it this way, if MB went to the NCAA and offered to air all of OSUs dirty laundry because SC got in trouble, we'd want him fired.

Bill Self has won everywhere he has been. Did he cheat at every stop? I don't know but cheating is now legal....so I'd take him in a heartbeat. Besides, we OSU fans have proven that we can forgive a coach who has been accused of cheating at a blue blood.

You are right about Mr. Iba.... integrity like that does not exist in sports any longer. Unfortunately OU benefitted from that integrity.

Nov 18, 2010
With a generational player we finished 5th in XII and won a single tourney game. What is our upside next year?
Even when Cade was 'on-the-way', it was hard to get excited with MB as our coach. I posted this before Cade came to OSU... The original post is still here on this site.
https://orangepower.com/threads/mbb...-espn-tonight-7pm.265780/page-12#post-4026248
Jan 22, 2020
If you give the coach another year, the 5 star, who's brother was hired to get him here, maybe gets us to an NCAA game. A single great player might even get you to the 2nd round. (Then again, maybe he quits or gets suspended or who knows what.) After that one year, he leaves. Then what?

Do we fire the coach after that? No. "Let's wait another year...we made the tournament last year...player XYZ is coming in and he'll be great." Our AD doesn't care if our BBall team is good or bad, so the coach is here for another year, probably 2, possibly 3. And we spend those years at the bottom of the big 12.

We need to start healing after this year. The basketball on the court is very bad. If that means we lose one 5 star recruit, at least we won't have to watch historically bad basketball until 2023-24...

One good player for one year isn't worth 6-7 years of bad basketball.
The last three seasons have gone as expected. Except for the contract extension, which was baffling.

VaPoke

Wrangler
Oct 14, 2013
Washington DC
Even when Cade was 'on-the-way', it was hard to get excited with MB as our coach. I posted this before Cade came to OSU... The original post is still here on this site.
https://orangepower.com/threads/mbb...-espn-tonight-7pm.265780/page-12#post-4026248
Jan 22, 2020
If you give the coach another year, the 5 star, who's brother was hired to get him here, maybe gets us to an NCAA game. A single great player might even get you to the 2nd round. (Then again, maybe he quits or gets suspended or who knows what.) After that one year, he leaves. Then what?

Do we fire the coach after that? No. "Let's wait another year...we made the tournament last year...player XYZ is coming in and he'll be great." Our AD doesn't care if our BBall team is good or bad, so the coach is here for another year, probably 2, possibly 3. And we spend those years at the bottom of the big 12.

We need to start healing after this year. The basketball on the court is very bad. If that means we lose one 5 star recruit, at least we won't have to watch historically bad basketball until 2023-24...

One good player for one year isn't worth 6-7 years of bad basketball.
The last three seasons have gone as expected. Except for the contract extension, which was baffling.
Agree...and the contract extension runs through 27/28, which might force us to not make a move for some time. This will give Boynton more time to correct things if he is capable. I think the issue is more than just talent on the floor. It also largely player development, strategy and "in game" management. Great guy though and I would love to see him turn the corner.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I try to be optimistic. We have two top 25ish recruits and three top 125ish recruits. I'm not sure how that stacks up against the rest of the conference, but we have had some talent on this team under MB and underperformed. He was a new coach so he was given time, but that time is up. I feel like I've said this a couple dozen times but making the tourney is the bare minimum.....I hope the AD feels the same.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I think this thread is way too negative on our upside next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What are your expectations?
Expectations? Finish 5th, but when ppl use standings in their argument it’s kind of convoluted because most of the time teams in the second tier of the Big 12 all have the same 12-6 record and the difference between 2nd and 4th is merely a tie breaker.

But I think like a 6 or 7 seed in tourney should be the aim, an 8 or 9 would be a bit more disappointing.

However, how I see the upside is a lot different. Honestly, go ahead and rank the primary creators in the Big 12 right now. I think a fair ranking is:
1. Flagler (Baylor)
2. Miles (TCU)
3. Anderson (OSU)
4. McCullar (Kansas) [important note: I’m not saying McCullar is bad, but he’s a 3 that is going to be playing out of position for Kansas who basically will be playing without a point guard or one with any experience, when you take McCullar’s other assets into the game other than leading a whole offense, he’ll be the deserved favorite for conference player of the year).
5. Hunter (Texas)
6. Harmon (Tech)

Flager is a steady-eddie kind of player unlikely to explode. Anderson is a similar player to Miles and could easily potentially outplay him, McCullar already mentioned that he’ll be playing without a PG so he’ll have to take the full burden of an offense. Avery has outplayed Hunter twice already. Harmon is another version of Flagler.

Long story short, there’s a real chance that Avery is the best primary creator in the Big 12 this season. Some of you will scoff, which is fine, but growth being completely linear is a myth, and I still think he can elevate his game even though it didn’t go quite as expected last year.

The competition for a secondary ball handler is more fierce, Keyonte George for Baylor, Texas has like 3 guys that could be pretty good. But Thompson, has the talent and experience to be the best secondary ball handler in the conference. And vitally, his archetype of player should be a spacer, it’s not another guy who can’t work without the ball in his hands. He has real shooting pedigree that I think will show back up better than his %s last year.

I think Cisse can be the best defensive player in the county, full stop. Don’t tell me anything about perimeter players, they aren’t half as valuable as rim protectors, and I don’t see how anyone in the conference that’s going to come close to measuring up to him. He’s got the pedigree and we’ve already seen it on the court.

If you have 2 guys who are top tier creators in the conference, that can space the court, and a true foundational guy on the defensive end that’s enough for a team to be competing for the conference and at least a 3 seed.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I think this thread is way too negative on our upside next year.

With a generational player we finished 5th in XII and won a single tourney game. What is our upside next year?
We went 11-7 (21-9 overall) and the teams directly ahead of us went 11-6 and had cancellations vs Baylor who went 13-1, so I think 5th is a little deceiving. We also went to the conference title game and beat one of the best teams in modern college basketball to do so.

Apr 14, 2009
I think we need to stick with the coach a while longer. Stillwater is a tough place to recruit to. Coach Sutton said that numerous times. And Mike seems to be able to do that.I don’t think he’s a elite coach yet. But I think he has the intellect to get there.
I hope the athletic director sees it that way also.
Maybe this might be just some baloney but Kelvin Sampson called him one of the best young coaches in America.