Baylor game

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 30, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Pretty sure I'm going to help my sister move this Saturday, which will be a good excuse to not watch OSU football. Its so sad to type that, but I think I'd rather move heavy things back and forth than watch our team play at this point.
I am not sure how you are coming to that conclusion. Baylor has been winning by the skin of their teeth, they had one of the worse non-con schedules in the nation, and the game is being predicted as a toss up.

Even when Baylor was contending for Big XII championships, they were struggling in Stillwater. Maybe I am wrong, but I expect the Pokes to win this game.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I am not sure how you are coming to that conclusion. Baylor has been winning by the skin of their teeth, they had one of the worse non-con schedules in the nation, and the game is being predicted as a toss up.

Even when Baylor was contending for Big XII championships, they were struggling in Stillwater. Maybe I am wrong, but I expect the Pokes to win this game.
You may be misunderstanding me. I'm not predicting a loss. I'm just super frustrated with how Gundy manages the team during games, and its not fun to watch anymore. Kinda similar to how I felt watching Travis Ford's basketball teams play. We're perpetually running the Daxx Garman offense, playing soft as hell defense, and still just getting by on special teams. None of it gives me the value that I expect when compared to other things I can do with my time. Its perfectly fine if other people want to spend their time watching, but I'm just not going to make it a high priority as long as Gundy is running things in his current manner.

He's coasting right now, and seemingly just doesn't care if we win or lose as long as he collects his $5 mil/yr. I'm just not on board with that.

Nov 6, 2010

I'm with you, in fact, I think we win pretty comfortably. The Tech game was a wake-up call for players and coaches. I think they'll wake up big time Saturday.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
You may be misunderstanding me. I'm not predicting a loss. I'm just super frustrated with how Gundy manages the team during games, and its not fun to watch anymore. Kinda similar to how I felt watching Travis Ford's basketball teams play. We're perpetually running the Daxx Garman offense, playing soft as hell defense, and still just getting by on special teams. None of it gives me the value that I expect when compared to other things I can do with my time. Its perfectly fine if other people want to spend their time watching, but I'm just not going to make it a high priority as long as Gundy is running things in his current manner.

He's coasting right now, and seemingly just doesn't care if we win or lose as long as he collects his $5 mil/yr. I'm just not on board with that.
I definitely don't think the guy's beyond criticism.

Having said that, though, I'm curious about all these claims like you just made. My guess is that's nothing but your opinion & entirely void of any facts.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I'm with you, in fact, I think we win pretty comfortably. The Tech game was a wake-up call for players and coaches. I think they'll wake up big time Saturday.
So the Texas game wasn't a wake-up call? Give me a break. These guys get 12 chances every year to play their hearts out. If the coaches or players can't "wake up" without losing, then we need different coaches or players. If you want to compete for conference championships (lol at competing for a NC under Gundy), then you don't get to have "wake-up call" games.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I definitely don't think the guy's beyond criticism.

Having said that, though, I'm curious about all these claims like you just made. My guess is that's nothing but your opinion & entirely void of any facts.
Its my opinion, of course, but its not "entirely void of any facts". My opinion (like everyone else's) is actually based on facts. Like his handling of QB situations, W-L records, stats, play calls, game management, interviews, press conferences, flirting with other schools to leverage his salary, etc......

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Its my opinion, of course, but its not "entirely void of any facts". My opinion (like everyone else's) is actually based on facts. Like his handling of QB situations, W-L records, stats, play calls, game management, interviews, press conferences, flirting with other schools to leverage his salary, etc......
Maybe this is just as good as he gets? I don't know, he drives me crazy at times, too.

Claims that he's just coasting & doesn't care if we win or lose are not based in fact, at all, unless there's something you're not sharing with us.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Nov 6, 2010
So the Texas game wasn't a wake-up call? Give me a break. These guys get 12 chances every year to play their hearts out. If the coaches or players can't "wake up" without losing, then we need different coaches or players. If you want to compete for conference championships (lol at competing for a NC under Gundy), then you don't get to have "wake-up call" games.
Heck no Texas wasn't, we lost a close one on the road to a perennial power that recruits and spends circles around us. Tech was completely different because they don't have any of those advantages on us, but they still kicked our asses (yea I know, only 10 pts, but if you watched the game...). Now, I'm not going to argue that a loss like Tech shouldn't happen, but they do, to all teams at all levels. If you don't believe me, just watch a Nick Saban press conference. He used the term "rat poison" to describe it, it being the effect of reading and believing all the good stuff being said and written about a team and getting complacent. This is a guy that enjoys every advantage imaginable, and his number one concern seems to be guarding against this complacency factor. Now maybe and probably Gundy should learn something from that, but that doesn't change the fact that Saturday is a bounce back game, and we are going to win by 14 to 21, mark it down!

Nov 6, 2010
Maybe this is just as good as he gets? I don't know, he drives me crazy at times, too.

Claims that he's just coasting & doesn't care if we win or lose are not based in fact, at all, unless there's something you're not sharing with us.
Agreed. people who care and are doing their best are still wrong all the time, it makes us human. One tidbit that I haven't seen discussed on this board or any other was in one of the press conferences Gundy said he took Ambien to sleep. Now if he really didn't care, I doubt with the hours these guys work he would need Ambien to sleep at night. That tells me, even though I didn't need that extra evidence, that he definitely cares.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Good morning; here's some of our OSU football content from the past week.

First, Frank Bonner II's midseason report card...

Special teams: B+

Kicker Matt Ammendola couldn’t be performing any better. He’s 10-of-10 on field goals is perfect on PATs. Punter Tom Hutton had high expectations heading into his first year with the Cowboys. He had an untimely shanked punt at Texas Tech, but he’s been pretty solid for OSU so far. There has been a small sample size of kick returns for OSU. Although the kick and punt returns haven’t been a game-changer for the Cowboys, it hasn’t been a hindrance either.
Also from Frank, Wayne Gretzky gave a shout-out to Chuba Hubbard...

The Edmonton Oilers tweeted a video of Gretzky, a native of Ontario, Canada who began his NHL career with the Oilers, congratulating Oklahoma State running back Chuba Hubbard with the hashtags #HubbardforHeisman and #CanadasCowboy.

“I just wanted to pass on a congratulations from everyone in Edmonton,” Gretzky said in the video. “We’re all really proud of you, keep going.”
Guerin Emig on Spencer Sanders...

The answers this youngster has given so far have been encouraging. Sanders proved he could thrive as a college quarterback in his debut at Oregon State. He proved he could withstand the heat from 96,936 fans and play admirably at Texas.

Sanders’ response this weekend is his most important to date, since this is OSU’s most important game.

Baylor is 6-0 but beatable. Vegas knows. The Cowboys are 3-point favorites Saturday.
Frank's notebook --- Coach Gundy wants to get Jordan McCray more catches...

McCray had a career-high 82 yards on two catches against the Red Raiders. McCray only had one catch for 10 yards in the previous three games and nine catches for 142 yards for the season. McCray could help take some defensive pressure off OSU’s top receiver, Tylan Wallace, if he can become a consistent threat moving forward.

“When you see guys like that make plays, I guess that really don’t get too many opportunities to make plays like that, you’ve got to somewhat respect it knowing that he’s a potential threat,” Wallace said about McCray. “So I feel like that’s another thing that the defense has to worry about.”
And from Bill Haisten: Looking back at the 8-8 record in the past 16 games...

During a stretch of 44 games in 2014-18, the Cowboys were 35-9.

Over its last 16 games, Oklahoma State is 8-8.

The first of those 16 games was a 41-17 home loss to Texas Tech. The most recent of the 16, played on Oct. 5, was a 45-35 setback at Texas Tech. As Spencer Sanders was intercepted three times and lost two fumbles, the Cowboys were minus-5 on turnovers.

Since recording six 10-win seasons during this decade, the Cowboys have been undermined by self-inflicted mediocrity. They’ve developed two nasty habits: losing in home games and losing to opponents that have less talent.

While unbeaten Baylor may not have a running back like Chuba Hubbard or a receiver like Tylan Wallace, the Bears’ overall talent level is at least equal to Oklahoma State’s.

There’s no way to know what Gundy is saying to his players behind closed doors, but the Cowboy coach has to know that the Baylor challenge is beyond important.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Agreed. people who care and are doing their best are still wrong all the time, it makes us human. One tidbit that I haven't seen discussed on this board or any other was in one of the press conferences Gundy said he took Ambien to sleep. Now if he really didn't care, I doubt with the hours these guys work he would need Ambien to sleep at night. That tells me, even though I didn't need that extra evidence, that he definitely cares.
When Gundy deflects wins and losses by leaning on things like helping prepare young men for life and building good character, I get the feeling he's trying to remind himself of those priorities as much as anything. He means what he says, but the losses still bother him.

Gundy isn't the type to show his frustration with the team's success in a dramatic way, but I suspect it still eats at him. His dad instilled in him an uncompromising competitiveness, and he has a lifetime of achievement that wouldn't have happened without being exceptionally driven to win.

Maybe he can rationalize the recent decline in success by looking at his many successes, but nothing in his life indicates a lack of competitiveness.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK

I certainly agree with much if your criticisms of Gundy, but question your priorities. The worst day watching OSU football is better than the best day helping someone move. ;-)

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

1571335160973.png